300 gal of diesel in my bilge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronald stanko

Vessel Name
sea bird
Vessel Make
1979 chb 49ft.
Hello I don't know how to work this site.but here's my problem. I just dumped 300 gallons of diesel in my bilge. I'm sick over it. I need to pump it back in and filter it. Not sure how t o post but thought I would try. thanks

Edit: Ronald, I started a new thread for you on this subject. -FlyWright

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello I don't know how to work this site.but here's my problem. I just dumped 300gallons of diesel in my bulge. I'm sick over it. I need to pump it back in and filter it. Not sure how t o post but thought I would try.thanks

Ron - you seem to have a knack at putting things in the wrong place. Maybe a forum moderator can start your own thread for this question.

Maybe call a doctor. If it was in my bulge , I'd be sick as well. In the bilge is bad enough.

Seriously - I'd maybe call up a fuel polishing company to handle this problem for you.

I agree. 300 Gal of diesel in the bilge is serious. There are professional fuel handlers who can remove the fuel, polish it and refill your tanks. I hope your bilge pumps are off.

Please keep us posted on the route you take and the outcome.

Please tell us why or what failed so we can learn from your experience. I'd guess you turned off the bilge pumps?

A baja filter is designed to remove water (a very very fine screen.

You should be able to pump or use a bucket brigade to pour it thru a Baja filter.
back into the tank.

If you pump it suck it thru a filter , DO NOT push it thru as the pump will mix the fuel and water.

After its all back in the tank, its time to polish the fuel to remove any remaining water , again suck thru the filter.

No big deal, tho removing the diesel stench may require an ozone machine for a week after a good scrub..

A few years ago had a similar problem. Put together an old Racor filter cannister and a 24v diesel lift pump from spares, mounted both on a scrap piece of plywood. A few hoses for in/out and was able to set up a filter/transfer system to clean the fuel while transferring back into the tank. Poor mans/emergency polishing unit.

Hello I don't know how to work this site.but here's my problem. I just dumped 300 gallons of diesel in my bilge. I'm sick over it. I need to pump it back in and filter it. Not sure how t o post but thought I would try. thanks Edit: Ronald, I started a new thread for you on this subject. -FlyWright

Hey Ronald, how about updating us on where you stand on you "diesel in bilge" adventure?

Hope all is well!

Norm
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler

I agree, there are a few companies such as CSSI Fuel Filtration

that can help you with your fuel. But we all want to know how it got there. Welcome!

I don't think dealing with 300 gallons of fuel in a bilge is a DIY job. Not even close. You need a pro to handle this.

And why didn't the bilge pump pump it out? Of course, that would be a fuel spill and the EPA would be on you like a hawk.

If you turned off the pump as soon as you noticed it pumping fuel, good for you, but you still need a pro to safely remove the fuel and either clean it or dispose of it properly. The longer it sits in the bilge, the harder it will be to deal with the aftermath.

I don't think dealing with 300 gallons of fuel in a bilge is a DIY job. Not even close. You need a pro to handle this.

Not even close.

BerettaRacer described exactly how to do it. It could be 3 gallons or 3000 gallons, you still remove it a gallon at a time.

Definitely a DIY job…being a bit careful of course.

Hardest part is to determine whether you want to salvage the fuel or dispose of it…guess you have to decide just how bad your bilge contents are….:eek:

Definitely shut down any auto bilge pumps unless they have electronic sensor starts that won't pump fuel..don't need the USCG breathing down your neck!

Cleanup is usually not too hard either depending on your boat’s bilge configuration and how sensitive your crew is to lingering odors.
The first rinse should probably be disposed of ashore…the rest with natural / biodegradable cleaners could go overboard, but it’s nice if the marina you are at or close by would let you use the sani-pump to get the next rinse or two out (even if you pat a reasonable fee.)

Had this happen to a buddy's boat. Tank leak filled bilge with about 100gal. Ladled it out into 5gal buckets (with lids), hand truck down dock, poured into blue barrels in a pickup. Left the barrels in the shop for a few weeks, most of the suspended water and crud settled to bottom. Ran though 2mic filter press into clean barrels. Fuel then burned in various engines.

I would not burn this stuff in any common rail or high output engine. But old skool mechanical engines, no problem. Key is letting it settle.

Ronald, you are in Newport Beach Harbor, right? Be careful who you hire as I have heard horror stories about over charging and rip off's there. It's the land of millionaires and those who live off them.

You can DIY as many have stated above. Let us know how you are doing.

No one has said this yet, so I'll jump in. Is there a requirement under Kookafornia law to report this or are you trying to keep it under the radar? If you hire someone, they mey be required to report it.

No one has said this yet, so I'll jump in. Is there a requirement under Kookafornia law to report this or are you trying to keep it under the radar? If you hire someone, they mey be required to report it.

If it stays in the boat, isn't that secondary containment? No threat to the environment? Why would it have to be reported? Just asking.

If it stays in the boat, isn't that secondary containment? No threat to the environment? Why would it have to be reported? Just asking.

Well you know these over zellous EPA types.......Just say'in

Personally, I would just empty a fuel tank and pump it into there. Preferably one that has easy access to clean outs, like the 550 gallon tank in the middle of my engine room. Let it sit awhile then circulate it thru my polishing system for 24 hours. Then empty that tank into another and clean that tank. No problem, if ya aint skeered.

Hello I don't know how to work this site.but here's my problem. I just dumped 300 gallons of diesel in my bilge. I'm sick over it. I need to pump it back in and filter it. Not sure how t o post but thought I would try. thanks Edit: Ronald, I started a new thread for you on this subject. -FlyWright

As you post remember Ronald's original post was 11-25-2013. He has likely already dealt with his mishap by now. I posted my question to Ronald yesterday (1-20-2014) just to see how it turned out and what was the fix. Hopefully he solved his cleanup adventure in a responsible way that would negate the need for the EPA.

It's is a mishap (or maybe a hose failure/mechanical/design) that could happen to anyone. Makes me think about what I would do to clean it up while not wasting the fuel. In my boat I think I would quickly retrofit a hose to my fuel polisher pump and suck it up and deposit it back in the fuel tank. The cleaning of the bilge and what to do with the cleaning water (depending on how much you generated) is another good question?

Norm Miller
Quiet Company
Great Harbour GH47

Sent from my iPad with big clumsy fingers using Trawler

The cleaning of the bilge and what to do with the cleaning water (depending on how much you generated) is another good question?

Take a Cruise in DARK AIR?

Once the majority of diesel has been taken care of you will certainly have left a very difficult to remove sheen. That's where this stuff comes in. I've used it and it works!

Pacific NW Boater | Edson Oil Eradicator

It's is a mishap (or maybe a hose failure/mechanical/design) that could happen to anyone.

Maybe not if you have fuel draws from the top of the tank. But, in my case it would be far worse with all the fuel being pumped overboard since I have serviceable bilge pumps on a float switch.

I wonder if Mr Stanko had bottom feed fuel lines or a tank failure?

I think that is the first and last time we will hear anything from Mr Stanko.

I'm surprised nobody suggested sucking the fuel out with a shop vac! :rolleyes:

300 gallons of diesel fuel weighs over two thousand pounds and would fill six 55 gallon drums. A pump and filter setup would be needed as well. Most of us would have a very hard time dealing with this mess by ourselves.

I'm surprised nobody suggested sucking the fuel out with a shop vac! :rolleyes:

300 gallons of diesel fuel weighs over two thousand pounds and would fill six 55 gallon drums. A pump and filter setup would be needed as well. Most of us would have a very hard time dealing with this mess by ourselves.

Actually as many have stated...no we wouldn't have that big of an issue as we are more creative than what you think.:rolleyes:

300 gallon diesel spill

Wow I thought the spill was my problem.I have fixed the problem and did get it all back in my tanks.I called a polishing company.They said get a pump and filter then suck it up Into my tanks and use the diesel treatment afterwards. I also had 2 inches of water at the bottom.so the way I fixed I t was...I got a small see threw hose wet to the bottom of my hull and plugged the hose with my thumb.pulled it out and two inches of water was at the bottom and the rest diesel. So I got a stick and went 3inches up the stick and taped the hose and pump to It.that way I had 1inch of safety between the water and diesel. Once that was done I pumped the rest into a drum and then dumped it at the local city free hazardous clean up site.

I really like this site and find it helpful and know it can save me alot of cash and save me from costly mistakes.so I will learn it all later.

The reason I didnt respond for so long. I was hit by a speeding car and was sandwiched between two cars.both legs are and are trying to save the other one from the docs cutting it off.the day I was loading my trailer to move to my boat full time was the day I got hit.so thats whats going on.a patch.a parrot and one leg.I was cut out for the sea.Rrrr.lol

a toast to the coast.heres an awsome band from my hood.the mighty west side.YouTube.the Wheeland brothers.they are like the modern day beach boys.enjoy all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you telling us that you just lost a leg?

Wow I thought the spill was my problem.I have fixed the problem and did get it all back in my tanks.I called a polishing company.They said get a pump and filter then suck it up Into my tanks and use the diesel treatment afterwards. I also had 2 inches of water at the bottom.so the way I fixed I t was...I got a small see threw hose wet to the bottom of my hull and plugged the hose with my thumb.pulled it out and two inches of water was at the bottom and the rest diesel. So I got a stick and went 3inches up the stick and taped the hose and pump to It.that way I had 1inch of safety between the water and diesel. Once that was done I pumped the rest into a drum and then dumped it at the local city free hazardous clean up site.

I really like this site and find it helpful and know it can save me alot of cash and save me from costly mistakes.so I will learn it all later.

The reason I didnt respond for so long. I was hit by a speeding car and was sandwiched between two cars.both legs are and are trying to save the other one from the docs cutting it off.the day I was loading my trailer to move to my boat full time was the day I got hit.so thats whats going on.a patch.a parrot and one leg.I was cut out for the sea.Rrrr.lol

a toast to the coast.heres an awsome band from my hood.the mighty west side.YouTube.the Wheeland brothers.they are like the modern day beach boys.enjoy all.

Are you telling us you lost a leg and are in risk of losing the other? I hope that"s not the case. If it is good luck to you and I hope it works out for the best.

Thanks ya there is still hope to save the crushed one.the other is good enough to walk on.im believing all will work out.i checked on my boat to make sure it was still floating and the boat people in Newport Ca. Were awsome.They really humbled me with their help. I should be stuck in bed.But you all know how the beach calls you there when your away for too long.two guys sat my on my butt so a I could get in my dink and it was a little funny to be walking with my back side to get in.but they understood it.I took out some squid on a hook and got spoiled.that was great and worth it all.I have an offer on my house and if it sells we will be moving down there in a few months.I dig you boat people.My mooring neighbor is doing a world cruise for the 4th time and he go's for 10 years at a time.Gonna his Fiji. Australia and the Filapeans.Good luck brother Bob.come home safe.peace boat people.hopes to be joining Bob soon. My boat has over a 3thousand mile range and would dig on following someone like Bob.until the next time all be safe and dont let no one steal your dreams.capt.wrong way.

Last edited:
oh no im back! lol

I think that is the first and last time we will hear anything from Mr Stanko.

Miss this site.once all is good in Ron Ron World I will be writing books on this thing. Until then, sail on bro.

Back
Top Bottom