Pairie29 Aluminum window frames

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

straycat

Vessel Name
StrayCat
Vessel Make
Prairie 29 Hull #51
We own 1980 hull #51 with aluminum windows. in the process of rescreening the starboard side window, I dropped the left upright frame in the drink. Our windows are in good shape so we will not be replacing them any time soon...maybe never.This is the portion that holds the screen frame in place. If any owner is replacing their windows, I would appreciate the opportunity to purchase the frame. After searching the net, there seems to be nothing currently available to use as a replacement. Could also use the port side forward frame as well. Thanks

Aluminum frames

We tried that and really hoped we could retrieve it since this accident happened while in our slip. The water is too murky and the bottom so soft that we have concluded the frame piece went straight down like an arrow into the muck....and to make matters worse, the water is only about 5 feet deep. VERY DEPRESSING !!!!

Last edited:
It is aluminum !!!!

I would bet a sophisticated window repair (not a typical glass shop) or a good machine shop guy may be able to make one up for you...you might have to obtain the "aluminum channel" from a supplier and the whole process will be tedious and expensive for what you are getting...but may be the only way to get close to OEM looks and workings.

Aluminum frames

We have already been down that road. We have researched on line and a person who makes custom windows has exhausted his supply manuals for a matching profile...no luck. Don't believe we could afford one custom welded or extruded piece of aluminum $$$$$$$$. We will continue to keep looking and perhaps some kind fellow Prairie owner will keep us in mind if they replace their windows. Thanks for the responses. Donna

I would not presume to give you advice, Donna, since I do not know your exact situation. I can, however, tell you what I would do in a similar situation, and perhaps it will give you an idea or two.

From what you have said, it dropped in about 5 feet of water, the bottom there is muck, and the visibility is very poor. However, you were in your slip, and presuming no strong currents it most likely went pretty much straight down. Arrowed, as you said. Keep in mind, though, that it most likely went off at a bit of a slant, because that is the way things do in the water.

So it is down there, you know that, and most muck only goes a few feet at most, with firm bottom under that.

So, if I were in that situation, (and I have the advantage of being a diver, which presumably you or your other half are not), I would lay out a large grid on the bottom, using weights and lines, to not only outline the area where it most likely is, but also to enable a methodical search pattern.

Then I would put on my scuba gear and go down and just lay on the bottom. I would begin at the top left-hand corner of the grid, and go back and forth with my hand, staying in straight lines, until I got to the bottom right-hand corner of the grid.

And probably I would find it. I have done similar things with eyeglasses, and they are much smaller than your aluminum piece.

Anyway . . . I submit this just for what it is worth. Doesn't take much diving skill to do that, and your local dive shop could probably recommend a kid who would do it for peanuts, or even just for the fun of it. (May not sound like fun, but it is a challenge, and a challenge is fun).

Thank you for the advice. Now I will certainly see if this is possible. We do have a diver who cleans our bottom and who has retrieved our Sea Max anchor from debris left by a barge. We had to leave the anchor with a marker and bring the diver the next day. Tangled up in one Inch wire anchor rode and the helical screw anchor left there. Any way, I will try to see if it is anything he could do for us. Thanks again. Donna

... lay out a large grid on the bottom, using weights and lines, to not only outline the area where it most likely is, but also to enable a methodical search pattern...Then I would put on my scuba gear and go down and just lay on the bottom. I would begin at the top left-hand corner of the grid, and go back and forth with my hand, staying in straight lines....
Much more ethical than finding an unattended Prairie 29.:nonono::hide::)

Get a piece of screen and some Velcro, on the inside...

you might contact the guys that sell all the old hattaras windows as prairies had the same windows because they were designed by jk hargrave. we took our screens out as we never open the windows. glad to see your fixing up and enjoying hull 51 ours is hull 50

soooo, what happened?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom