52' Timber Trawler (Australian)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kando

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kittyhawk
Vessel Make
Careel 22
G'day mates,

Can anyone tell me if this 1960 trawler would, as advertised, have a cruising range of over 2000 miles on 4000 Liters, running a 350hp Yanmar Engine - with 4.5-1 Gearbox, driving a 48" Propeller?
If so, it may interest me as a converter...If we could agree on the price.
On the other hand, if I've done my sums right, with the cost of diesel in Australia, burning 16.11092 LPH (4.25605 US Gallons Per Hour) could well work-out to be to rich for my blood :(

Cheers mates,

Bill
Australian

Last edited:
Bill - I suggest you get a REAL GOOD surveyor who REALLY knows old wood boats. Sorry mate... can't provide any input on fuel use.

Best Luck! - Art

Bill,
With my rough rule of thumb and at 8 knots you would have a range of about 1400 NM using a 15% margin.
She is overpowered and you would want to reprop her for starters.
Possibly change out the engine and along with a bit of a refit you are going to spend dollars.
Mind you I wouldn't pay more than about 35k for her and the hull especially would want a very good survey.
Cheers
Benn

Check whether GST applies, being commercial/ex commercial.

Bruce,
from my dealings going from ex commercial one has to pay GST if not retaining commercial status.
Mind you normally the value of the boat is so far written down that any excess the previous owner is paying tax on it and so they are usually happy to send it on its way even with a full load of fuel.
I had one friend who bought a really good ex trawler in Gladstone 54' and got 10,000 lts of fuel with it at about 38k
A quick conversion, bunk beds in the frig box and it was a terrific family cruiser, not flash but solid.
Cheers
Benn

Thanks Mates

G'day mates,

Thanks for your views, I thought the seller of that retired trawler was asking a weee-bit to much for his retired boat, I guess he'll end-up like I did when I sold my Corell, I had to drop the price. No-matter, I'm guessing either of these two slightly smaller retired trawlers would make for better buying. One is a QLD based Sharpie, the other is NSW based and also, I believe, a sharpie but I could be wrong about that. As both sellers are asking the same amount, ten grand, I believe the QLD sharpie would be the better buy but that depends on the state of the boat in general. I see no point in buying a cheep boat then spending a truckload of cash and years of work in repairing/renovating the boat. Much better I think to buy a more expensive boat that doesn't need so much work doing to it. :thumb: But I do like the look of that QLD sharpie :)

Cheers mates

Bill
Australia

Too often a cheep boat (or free one) is the most expensive marine item you will ever have! Be sure to have whatever you buy surveyed first!

Kando, don`t the adverts say the Qld one has an engine with minimal hours (it doesn`t look that new), the NSW one has a non working engine, the Qld. one is partly converted to cruiser, the NSW one is not?
That should help decide which to inspect.

I guess both of them you are only buying the hull and running gear.
Both require engines.
Low hours on the 671, it's still a 671 and for me out it goes.
Depends on how much work you want to do, what your budget is and where do you want to take the boat.
For a coastal cruiser and not a lot of expenditure they may prove to be ok.
But for anything more I would be looking at something a bit more substantial.
Have you tried Home
Kevin knows his stuff and is worth a ring to see what is available.
Cheers
Benn

Too often a cheep boat (or free one) is the most expensive marine item you will ever have! Be sure to have whatever you buy surveyed first!
I hear you loud and clear Art :thumb:

Kando, don`t the adverts say the Qld one has an engine with minimal hours (it doesn`t look that new), the NSW one has a non working engine, the Qld. one is partly converted to cruiser, the NSW one is not?
That should help decide which to inspect.
G'day Bruce,

I know sellers, specially agents, say more than their prayers when it comes to selling a boat, or anything else :D From the pictures, I'm guessing the QLD Sharpie would be the one to inspect. They do say: The Detroit engine with minimal hours is still in the vessel and working: But I don't know what they mean by "minimal hours", your guess is as good as mine.
I would love to get-up and check her out for myself but Yeppoon, QLD is a very long way from my place in Victoria, flying up, inspecting the boat and flying down again would be a two day trip, anyway, I'll see what I can do about getting up to Yeppoon ASAP. If I were to buy that boat, she would have to stay where she is as finding a mooring around my place in Victoria is like finding teeth in a Hen, and as the boat has been broken into before, I don't think it would be safe to leave her unattended where she is. I would need to be able to move aboard full time and I'm not ready for that move at present.
You never know, I may find something I like locally but I'm sticking to searching for a suitable timber or ferro vessel, so we'll see what I end-up with :)

Cheers,
Bill
Australia

Last edited:
Bill, they want to sell it. Ask the broker for lots of pics of what you want, and the questions you want answered. Tell him he will lose body parts he greatly values if you make the inspection trip and it turns out a pile of rubbish. You`d be surprised how little a Jetstar etc flight can cost. I spent $200(or was it $100) going to the Gold Coast to inspect one, the cab fare from the airport to the marina cost $100 but the nice broker from Anchorline drove me back to the airport.

Bill,
With my rough rule of thumb and at 8 knots you would have a range of about 1400 NM using a 15% margin.
She is overpowered and you would want to reprop her for starters.
Possibly change out the engine and along with a bit of a refit you are going to spend dollars.
Mind you I wouldn't pay more than about 35k for her and the hull especially would want a very good survey.
Cheers
Benn
Thanks Benn, to much work, and expense for this old coot. I'll scratch that one from my list.
Cheers Benn,

Bill
Australia

I guess both of them you are only buying the hull and running gear.
Both require engines.
Low hours on the 671, it's still a 671 and for me out it goes.
Depends on how much work you want to do, what your budget is and where do you want to take the boat.
For a coastal cruiser and not a lot of expenditure they may prove to be ok.
But for anything more I would be looking at something a bit more substantial.
Have you tried Home
Kevin knows his stuff and is worth a ring to see what is available.
Cheers
Benn
G'day Benn,

I do keep an eye on QFB, so far most, if not all the boats I like are steel, or well outside my price range. I trawl the boat sales sites and that's how I find the boats I have on my list. I have not wiped this 51' glass retired Fisheries Patrol boat from my watch list...Even with her twin V12 turbo engines...I know I could not afford to run those babies for 12 hours at a time, so I think I'm fooling myself with that one :(
Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a boat that fits me...Sooner or later and it may not be a retired fishing boat...Those big donkers put me off. It may well turn-out to be a FC motor-sailor or even a West System Trimaran. We'll see what I end-up with :thumb:
BTW Benn, I want a boat to live aboard full time, cruise the Australian coast with "perhaps" a trip or two up into S.E. Asia but mostly I would be found around the QLD and Top-End coast, up some river fishing for muddies and/or bara. And fishing the reef when I had a few mates to keep me company. So Benn, am I searching for the right boat with these retired fishing boats or would something like this FC boat be a better choice for me and my needs :confused:
My budget for buying a boat, doing any work that needed doing, and insurance, would be around the $60,000 mark. At 71, I don't think I should be spending any more than that for a boat I may only get to use for a few years before I have to go ashore full-time.

Cheers Benn,

Bill
Australia

Last edited:
Bill,
The Fisheries patrol is one V 12 with twin turbos but still a lot of engine to play with.
The other is not what you want in my opinion.
The other 2 may well fill the bill and at 10 k spend a few thou on the hull a second hand engine and box for around 20k a bit of tizzy up and electronics another 15 k and you may have what you need.
It won't be a Nordy but it will probably take you to the top end and back, have a fat time catch a lot of fish and muddies and you could possibly sell it on your return
Tris and FC motor sailors will do it but are not good fishing boats and you will need to tow a reasonable tinny say 3.7 mts or so plus fuel nd say if you are going around th top that will b about 100 lts or so of petrol.

re Qld Commercial Fishing have you rung Kevin? as he is worth a phone call

Cheers
Benn

Bill,
The Fisheries patrol is one V 12 with twin turbos but still a lot of engine to play with.
I still could not afford to feed a single V12 engine, so the Patrol boat is of the list :(
The other is not what you want in my opinion.
If you're referring to the 40' Hartley FC, I thought as much. Even if I do like FC boats :)
The other 2 may well fill the bill and at 10 k spend a few thou on the hull a second hand engine and box for around 20k a bit of tizzy up and electronics another 15 k and you may have what you need.
I've sent the agent an email about the Sharpie in Yeppoon, so we'll see what he has to say...If he replies.
With one helper I can do most all the woodwork, and I can do all the required wiring myself. so that is not a worry :)
BTW Benn, In your opinion, for reliability and economy, what secondhand engine and gearbox would best suit that 46' Sharpie?
It won't be a Nordy but it will probably take you to the top end and back, have a fat time catch a lot of fish and muddies and you could possibly sell it on your return
But then it won't cost me what a Nordy would cost me...Will it :D
Tris and FC motor sailors will do it but are not good fishing boats and you will need to tow a reasonable tinny say 3.7 mts or so plus fuel and say if you are going around the top that will be about 100 lts or so of petrol.
I was thinking a RIB or a Porta-Bote, if Porta-Bote is good enough for air/sea rescue, then it should be good enough for me :)
re Qld Commercial Fishing have you rung Kevin? as he is worth a phone call

Cheers
Benn
No Benn, I have not called or talked with Kevin, I have kept check on his website but as I said in my earlier post, most of the boats that I like in his listings are steel (I'm no welder) or out of my price range.
We'll see what the agent has to say about the Sharpie in QLD, if he ignores me or is unhelpful, then I'll give Kevin a bell.

Cheers for now.

Bill
Australia

Last edited:
Mate once you get north of Mackay Crocs are your big problem. RIBs (teething rings for crocs).
Porta boat in my opinion not sturdy enough for that northern work. a good tinny or a fiberglass dinghy is really the only answer once in the north.
Cheers
Benn

Mate once you get north of Mackay Crocs are your big problem. RIBs (teething rings for crocs).
Benn
:D Doesn`t that just sum up wild FNQ (Far North Queensland)?

Hey Bill,
have a look at Kevins web site.
Ex trawler Mercedes about 125 k that means probably about 90 to 100 k.
talk to Kevin as he would probably be able to sell the snap gear and the trawl winch gear and you could possibly get 10 to 15 k for that.
He is also very forthright and honest and will let you know what a boat is worth or what you should pay for it.
Cheers
Benn

46' QLD Sharpie

Hey Bill,
talk to Kevin as he would probably be able to sell the snap gear and the trawl winch gear and you could possibly get 10 to 15 k for that.
He is also very forthright and honest and will let you know what a boat is worth or what you should pay for it.
Cheers
Benn
G'day Benn, I'll have a word with Kevin after having a look at his website but I can tell you right now, I am not prepared to spend more than the sixty thou' I have in hand and I have no wish to go into debt.
As for the Sharpie up in Yeppoon, The agent tells me, Quote:

Dear Bill,

The vessel has now been withdrawn from sale at the moment after a failed contract. If she comes back on the market we will of course let you know

Thank you for your enquiry. End Quote.

I find that strange as the Sharpie is still listed for sale on the agents site.
I know when I sold any item from one of my sites, I immediately removed that item from the site but I guess we're all different. Oh well...We'll see what develops.

To Rich For My Pocket

Hey Bill,
Cheers
Benn
I just had a look at that Mercedes on Kevin's site Benn. A real nice go anywhere boat for sure but that big V12 donker would break me in a day...Perhaps I should say, in an hour. I believe that V12 is rated at, or around, 350HP, maybe a bit less but not much less.
At today's diesel prices, I would be up for around $20,400 to fill her up with her 12,000 Liters diesel tank :eek: I further believe she would burn about seven Ozzie gallons (around 32 Liters) per hour at cruise speed. If I've got my sums right, that's about 55 bucks AU per hour and I know, 100% sure, I can not afford that kind of dough to power any boat.
As the man said Benn...Thar aint no perfect boat so buy the one that you like best :D I believe I'll take the man's advice and go check on a couple of boats, motor-sailors, 1 local the other in Brissy, before jumping into any deals. I may even become interested in one of two Steel motor-sailors...Even if I'm no welder :D

Cheers Benn :thumb:
Bill
Australia

Bill,
Just had another look over Kevins site and in the Licensed trawler there are a few boats that would suit you in your price range and all with existing trawl gear that could be on sold and stabiliser arms and fish already fitted.

But maybe a yacht may be a better choice for your requirements.
Cheers
Benn

Bill,
Just had another look over Kevins site and in the Licensed trawler there are a few boats that would suit you in your price range and all with existing trawl gear that could be on sold and stabiliser arms and fish already fitted.

But maybe a yacht may be a better choice for your requirements.
Cheers
Benn
G'day Benn,

I had a look over Kevin's site again and there are a couple of boats that could suit my needs. On another site I also found this old lady, she's named the same as my eldest daughter, Dawn, (perhaps that's an omen) and most, if not all the work has already been carried out, from the pictures, the work is of a pretty high standard and she is in my price range. So I may take a trip up north to look her over, once I hear back from the agent.
I do have a few yachts on my list, one is a steel bilge keel/s local boat. I'm just waiting for things to quieting down around hear, it's sail week, before I contact the seller again. He's the local yacht-club commodore and is pretty busy at present. That steel double bilge keel boat was built to a high standard in 2009, then the builder passed away before he could sail it. His widow is now selling the boat with the help of her husbands mate, the commodore. The other yachts are further afield so I'll try getting to see them as time permits. One thing for sure Benn, I will not being buying in haste and repenting at leisure ;) I'll do my best to get it right first time.

Cheers Benn,

Bill
Australia

Last edited:
Porta-Bote

Porta boat in my opinion not sturdy enough for that northern work. a good tinny or a fiberglass dinghy is really the only answer once in the north.
Cheers
Benn
G'day Benn,

I just received the brochure from Porta-Bote and apparently Croc hunters up in the Top-End, in The Gulf of Carpentaria, are using porta-boats for croc hunting :eek: I reckon most of the pro' croc hunters know what they're doing so I guess a Porta-Boat does a good job in the croc hunting niche...If not, the hunters would not use them. As you know, their lives, the croc hunters lives that is, depend a lot on their gear.

Cheers Benn :thumb:

Bill
Australia

Some commercial fishing trawler tend to be over hp for so their can drag their nets. However as a pleasure boat 350 hp is about double what is needed for pleasure full displacement hull at hull speed. Not worth installing a new engine and/or re propping. 4000 liters is about 1,000 gallons. Might get 2000 nm at hull speed, but that would be pushing it.

The Eagle is powered by a 165 hp DD 671 with a 38” prop and gets about 2 miles/gallon at hull speed. The question I would have is the engine natural or turbo. Preferable natural for slow hull speed

Mate just had a look at their web site a lot of spruiking going on there .
Portabote - Australia's most portable boat

Still give me a more solid boat when required to get about and go fishing etc in rugged country etc.
Believe the hype if you will.
Cheers
Benn

I saw the promoters assembling/disassembling that boat at the Sydney Boat Show. They were quick, maybe a croc would be quicker, but not at the assembling. Go for something solid.

I owned an old port a boat 8' model for several years, got it as a yard sale freebie. Beat that thing up mercilessly in duck ponds around SF Bay, much tougher than I ever imagined. Lasted 8 seasons before I gave it away, no idea what became of it.

That said, when in Rome do as the Romans comes to mind... Sounds like a tinnie is your best bet.

Porta-Bote

Mate just had a look at their web site a lot of spruiking going on there .
Portabote - Australia's most portable boat

Still give me a more solid boat when required to get about and go fishing etc in rugged country etc.
Believe the hype if you will.
Cheers
Benn
G'day Benn,

I have no wish to start a "mines-better-than-yours" slanging match but Porta-Bote has been in production for over thirty years so I think they must be doing something right but each to his/her own I say.
Have a look at this video, and pay attention to the section on how the Japanese Coast Guard tested a Porta-Bote...I would love to see the same test carried-out on a Tinnie, Wood or Fiberglass boat. Youtube Video Over the past thirty years there have been quite a few good reports on these Porta-Botes, published by everyday owners of those boats. I have viewed quite a number of those reports, and quite a few videos on Youtube...I have yet to read a bad report on the Porta-bote line of boats but, as I say, each to his own mate :thumb:

Cheers Benn,

Bill
Australia

Last edited:
All good stuff Bill and they appear to make a good point.
But for me I will stick with the tried and proven (by me and thousands of others in the North)
Porta Boat have been going for about 30 years but still don't appear to be able to convince the most of the active cruisers and workers that they are a go to boat.
hey that's just my 2 c worth.
The picture is of my weapon of choice, the sit on top is gone as not viable once north of the Whitsundays so it only becomes cargo.

Take a punt just might be worth a go.

Cheers
Benn

Attachments

• Edge Tracker & floats.jpg
    Edge Tracker & floats.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 78
Back
Top Bottom