Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #24
Tom.B
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
I've got to say N4061 makes some really good points that should be thought about. First, I don't know the condition of the boat, engines, ground tackle, pumps, fuel tanks, or any of the hundred things that you need to get hands on experience with. If all of these things are pretty new and checked out, I fully agree - just go. But if you don't have 100% confidence in all systems or you're not very mechanically inclined, then it would make a lot more sense to hang out in the Charleston-Beaufort-Hilton Head area first and really get to push everything and learn the systems slowly. Instead of long, hard days, take a bunch of 20 mile ones. Practice anchoring. Practice dock handling. There's a great yard just south of Charleston on the ICW (Ross Marine). Hang out around there and perhaps even buy a few mechanic hours to look around and get them to give you a once-over checkout. Savannah would make a wonderful first destination and there are incredibly great yards in the area if you need anything (Thunderbolt & Hinckley). The moment you rush into Florida, things get more expensive, more crowded, and more difficult. But if you go really slow with the goal of learning and hitting all systems, by the time you get through Georgia, you'll be in a much better position to decide where you want to go for the next destination.
I can't comment about the Florida part- not boated there yet, but this is good advice. Just go easy if you have doubts.