Old 01-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
This seems to me to be a "left over" regulation much like the ship's bell. There does not seem to be much value in a small ball hung (usually) near the bow at anchor, especially in a designated anchorage. If the ball is visible then usually so is the anchor chain. It is my understanding (?) that there is also no requirement to display an anchor light when anchored in a designated anchorage, though we do this regardless. Concerning the bell, I have documentation from the USCG stating that there is no longer any need to hang this item. Again, technology has superseded the buggy whip!!
I disagee...there are situations you need to know whether a vessel is underway or not so you can act per the NAVRULES....you can't always see the anchor line in some wind/current situations.

The size of the ball is regulated...following from CFRs (inland rules)
§84.11 Shapes.

(a) Shapes shall be black and of the following sizes:
(1) A ball shall have a diameter of not less than 0.6 meter;
(2) A cone shall have a base diameter of not less than 0.6 meter and a height equal to its diameter;
(3) A diamond shape shall consist of two cones (as defined in paragraph (a)(2) of this section) having a common base.
(b) The vertical distance between shapes shall be at least 1.5 meter.
(c) In a vessel of less than 20 meters in length shapes of lesser dimensions but commensurate with the size of the vessel may be used and the distance apart may be correspondingly reduced.