Admirals & Pedestals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ermm: Yo, Andy Most Admirals don't too much read these posts, nor post on TF themselves. Caus, too busy nesting for purpose of our and their continued enjoyment/stability! And brother, that surely ain't half bad!! :thumb: Whereas we "men folk"... ya know, the Captains, mechanics, pilots, buyers, deal makers, boat sellers, equipment installers, commode repair persons, under sole contortionists (I could go on - lol)... well, we need the camaraderie, support, expanded knowledge and stress relief our posts provide to one another. Cause, if we were required to play "nester" with our Admirals all day long... well... the engines might quit running, heads could overflow, controls may get stuck, gauges wouldn't operate, zincs can disappear, lubes not get changed... and on and on... that's reality's picture! :facepalm: Old truism that goes both ways from one life-mate-partner regarding the other: “Sometimes can't live with em... Most the time can't live without em!” :rolleyes: :D :smitten: :ermm: At least that's how my Admiral and I see it... we be good ol' simple folk - LOL! YRMV :popcorn:

"Too busy nesting"???? Really? I don't think so.

Gina

:speed boat:Girls, Girls... Please note my first words:

i.e "Most" Admirals - and - my closing acronym YRMV!! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze - - > To ALL Boating People! :speed boat:

:D

Andy G, we know better than to let you Aussie guys talk to our women.:D

Au Contraire Capt Don (I can't believe the jury found you not guilty)

During the second world war there was a common phrase used to describe the American troops stationed here, this according to my mother who was an army nurse.

'OVER SEXED, OVER PAID & OVER HERE'

Where as, according to my father, Australian men were of a quite, contemplative, abstineous nature often given to quoting poetry (probably why we are such a sparsely populated country)

And speaking of sparsely populated, New Zealand, a country where men are men and the sheep are nervous. :rolleyes:

:Whereas we "men folk"... ya know, the Captains, mechanics, pilots, buyers, deal makers, boat sellers, equipment installers, commode repair persons, under sole contortionists (I could go on - lol)... well, we need the camaraderie, support, expanded knowledge and stress relief our posts provide to one another. Cause, if we were required to play "nester" with our Admirals all day long... well... the engines might quit running, heads could overflow, controls may get stuck, gauges wouldn't operate, zincs can disappear, lubes not get changed... and on and on... that's reality's picture! :facepalm:[/FONT][/COLOR]

That pretty much sums up my observation except for the whip.:iagree:

Au Contraire Capt Don (I can't believe the jury found you not guilty)

Not hard at all. It takes a good lawyer

Where as, according to my father, Australian men were of a quite, contemplative, abstineous nature often given to quoting poetry (probably why we are such a sparsely populated country)

. . . . and your mom bought that line. I don't think so.

And speaking of sparsely populated, New Zealand, a country where men are men and the sheep are nervous. :rolleyes:

This has been confirmed as true.

Somebody make Art and Larry to quit stirring the pot here.,

Last edited:
OK, OK - Say no more, Say no more... I'll "try" to quiet down! :flowers: :lol:

Moonstruck's got it right. I'm not letting my women-folk anywhere near you guys. No doubt you'll make me look bad! Especially you guys down under!

Greetings,
I concur. I've heard the average Aussie has upwards of 1000 girlfriends. The average Aussie being a cattle rancher that is....

Greetings,
I concur. I've heard the average Aussie has upwards of 1000 girlfriends. The average Aussie being a cattle rancher that is....

Why do you think those kangaroos jump so high? They even learned to box as a form of self defense.

I usually refer to the wife as the First Mate, a title she is happy with. Though new to boating since we married 13 years ago, she has jumped in with both feet and helped with the refit and repairs. I'm giving her more and more helm time as her experience and comfort levels rise. She has the con while anchoring or mooring, but is the line handler while docking. Her goal is to captain a Ladies Only weekend, which I'll all in favor of as soon as we're both comfortable with her abilities. She's a Keeper!:thumb:

Attachments

• DSC_0016.jpg
    DSC_0016.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 72
Why do you think those kangaroos jump so high? They even learned to box as a form of self defense.

Sorta like Texas Gals need to do when at cowbow night clubs! :rofl: :dance:

When young I spent a bit of time playing around in Texas while I toured the country with a couple buddies. :thumb:

Until 12 years ago, my wife had never been aboard anything bigger than her dad's fishing boat. Now, after over 4 plus years living aboard and 19,000 miles under HER keel, she is an accomplished sailor, navigator, sailmaker, mechanic, and can do just about anything aboard the boat that I can. She still prefers that I handle the boat in tight quarters but other than that, she can do it all. As soon as our 36' sailboat sells, we are both looking forward to our next extended cruise in a yet to be determined trawler.

Helm duty through the Straights of Mackinac

DSCN1534.jpg

Lookout duties in Detroit Passage, Lake Huron (mid-August!)

DSCN1987.jpg

Heavy weather forecasting and preparation

DSCN7445.jpg

DSCN7450.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings,
Ah the soft enticing eyes of a Jersey cow...
An angry kangaroo can rip a man open from chest down with its foot claws. They will force an harassing dog into a dam, to drown it. Male ones have made "romantic approaches" to Aussie ladies.By no means soft and cuddly.

Personally, and I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers here, my wife and I HATE the term "admiral". I realize it is supposed to be funny, and perhaps it was once or twice. Now it just makes me imagine some battle axe woman who sits on her big butt, berates her husband all day long, is miserable aboard a boat and exacts the deference she feels that her mere presence deserves.

In my opinion it's insulting to both parties and I know very few women who are actually like that. Maybe it's a generational thing, or maybe it's just me.

Now I'll apologize in advance to those I have offended.

Personally, and I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers here, my wife and I HATE the term "admiral". I realize it is supposed to be funny, and perhaps it was once or twice. Now it just makes me imagine some battle axe woman who sits on her big butt, berates her husband all day long, is miserable aboard a boat and exacts the deference she feels that her mere presence deserves.

In my opinion it's insulting to both parties and I know very few women who are actually like that. Maybe it's a generational thing, or maybe it's just me.

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation.
Henry David Thoreau

Last edited:

No apology necessary... I imagine few are offended by your feelings Doug... we mariners have thick skins and most know you just had to get that little diatribe off your mind and spilled into words! LOL :ermm:

Different strokes for different folks, comes to mind! :thumb:

My Linda girl does not mind being called Admiral regarding boating matters, and, I don't mind being Capt Art. I could always call her Commodore and she could call me Boss... but those titles are reserved for completely different setting all together... wink, wink!! :rofl:

Wow..didn't know you were stopping at all the same marinas I have hit from NJ to Fl....:rofl:...lot's of that stereotype...but probably not much between the term and stereotype either...

I'm not married, girlfriend weighs 113 and is tall, and helps out where she can.:D....so don't look at me....

Last edited:
On Bay Pelican the terms Admiral and Captain are well suited. Just like on a warship the Captain is in charge of running / maintaining the vessel and the Admiral is in command.

On Bay Pelican the terms Admiral and Captain are well suited. Just like on a warship the Captain is in charge of running / maintaining the vessel and the Admiral is in command.

Funny how that works! :rofl:

This is how it really works, aboard our cruiser, anyway!! :dance:

Ya know, when da shat really hits da fan... it's da Captain that usually pulls rabbits out o' da hat to save da good ship lollypop! Then it's da Admiral that sooths da Captain back into sense of tranquility with security reinforced that Cappy did well and of course always has darlen Admiral there for back-up in guidance and requests ready to be spoken... as may be necessary! LOL :lol:

Personally, and I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers here, my wife and I HATE the term "admiral". I realize it is supposed to be funny, and perhaps it was once or twice. Now it just makes me imagine some battle axe woman who sits on her big butt, berates her husband all day long, is miserable aboard a boat and exacts the deference she feels that her mere presence deserves. In my opinion it's insulting to both parties and I know very few women who are actually like that. Maybe it's a generational thing, or maybe it's just me. Now I'll apologize in advance to those I have offended.

You are not the only one that thinks this. Bess and I really dislike the term for similar reasons. So you aren't alone. Bess is the First Mate. Period.

Last edited:
You are not the only one that thinks this. Bess and I really dislike the term for similar reasons. So you aren't alone. Bess is the First Mate. Period.

I agree. I'm the first mate. Gina

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the word/term/playful-handle "Admiral" - when used for anyone aboard a boat, especially the one most significant... to the “Captain”; no matter which gender may be called which nomenclature (i.e. position of "command" lol):

So far the count is 3 for and two against... or is that 2 for and three against (counting a couple as one!) I'm getting soooo confused! LOL

Please folks - this IS Pleasure Boat Cruising we're discussing here! Who cares what one boat fellow likes to term their other boat fellow... as long as neither fellow aboard boat minds what they may be called by one another??

You can call me CapTart of it pleases you... matters not to me; I will boat in same way I have for decades. That is: Aboard my boat... I have last word - Period! As it should be for the person (the Captain) who accepts full responsibility for safety of the boat and passaners. In tight or dangerous circumstances (actually under all instances) proper, thoughtful, and knowledgeable command of any boat I accept position on as “Captain” rests on my shoulders... not anyone else’s! The "BUCK" has to stop somewhere aboard any floating craft for there to be a truly clear line of safety for all concerned.

Linda, My Admiral, agrees – most of the time – LOL Sorry, just had to add that tid bit! :D

Attachments

• Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
After my first Predicted Log race, we were having lunch awaiting the race results and I was sitting across from a gentleman and discussing the contest. As the other skippers arrived they asked the man, "how was the race admiral?" and other comments like that. I kept thinking why are they needling this guy? Turns out he was a retired Navy admiral. That was over twenty years ago. He just turned 99 and he is still racing. Must be the San Diego weather.

After my first Predicted Log race, we were having lunch awaiting the race results and I was sitting across from a gentleman and discussing the contest. As the other skippers arrived they asked the man, "how was the race admiral?" and other comments like that. I kept thinking why are they needling this guy? Turns out he was a retired Navy admiral. That was over twenty years ago. He just turned 99 and he is still racing. Must be the San Diego weather.

Cool! Racing at 99 yrs!! :thumb:

Yeah, different strokes. My Admiral likes to be referred to as the Admiral, and I agree that in many cases it could be a patronizing reference, but not with mine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom