View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #15
SCOTTEDAVIS
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I really don't think starting those engines really needs an 8D, trucks use them to start big diesels in all kinds of weather including below zero, often using large doses of glow plugs. Boaters just don't have the all weather starting requirements.

That said, I like to be as independent as possible, I am fairly young and while not adverse to spending a few 20's to the local youth I don't want to be dependent on someone else. When replacing the 8D starting batt. in Firefly I went with two 1000 amp cranking batts and they fit nicely into the old box.

I have nine 6 volt GC batts for the house and one cranking batt hooked up to the gen-set with one Gp 31 not hooked up to anything, this is trickle charged and alongside the genset battery.

I can replace any or all of the battery's myself even moving them with the dingy if necessary. Like I said, I like to be independent, most likely this will change as my back gets older, but at least now I have a fighting chance. Horsing 8D's around under deck in limited space alone was not going to happen.

I think the price for 8D's in comparison to four 6 volt GC batteries, makes the GC batteries a better buy especially considering their designed use allows for longer life.

My $.02
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote