Passagemaking question???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would stick with a motor sailer. (a bigger one than I have now)...
- no other stabilizing system required
- why lose a knot with paravanes when you can gain a couple with sails

I agree with Bill Kimley - Sea Horse Marine on this.
SEAHORSE MARINE

I agree and disagree. The statement is only good if the winds are high enough so your vertical stabilizers (sails) can be used as intended (more than 10 knots of wind). We have chafed more than a few holes and had sails slattering in horrible sea conditions after a front and the sails are totally useless.

IMHO a good combination would be a motorsailer with paravanes. :)

I agree and disagree. The statement is only good if the winds are high enough so your vertical stabilizers (sails) can be used as intended (more than 10 knots of wind). We have chafed more than a few holes and had sails slattering in horrible sea conditions after a front and the sails are totally useless.

IMHO a good combination would be a motorsailer with paravanes. :)

You're right Larry.
I must admit I have been caught in rough seas in dead calm weather once or twice. It sometimes happens the day after a big blow, as it often takes a bit of time for the seas to calm down after the wind has died. Its a fairly rare occurrence in these parts as the wind is relentless, but having paravanes on those days certainly would be nice.

Stabilization

Don't think that the insides of our pleasure boats are set up to withstand heavy seas without stabilization. Items which we think are secured, refrigerators, TVs, tables are secure only to a point. If the boat is bounced around they can come loose. The insides of commercial vessels are fitted out differently than pleasure boats.

If you are going to cross oceans sooner or later you will experience heavy weather, and you need to be prepared for it.

Protecting the windows in heavy weather is also critical. The Nordhavn 46 has small windows compared to most trawlers to protect against the windows being caved in. Still I have seen the Nordhavn 46 equipped with Lexan plates on the port side salon windows. Lost of a window in heavy seas could be fatal.

Marty

Larry,
I'm with you a motor sailor with paravanes covers all territory.
Lexan covers for windows are a must, mainly fwd windows and large side windows.
I don't have lexan screens but my mate on Waverley who is now in the Soloman Islands had some made before he departed.

I have been thru some really heavy weather in Tidahapah and once some years ago I really wished I had some screens installed. Everything turned out ok and I was glad I had my fishing mates on board and not the Boss Lady.
Good refrigeration is a must for me as if all else fails one must sit down have a cold beer and think about it.
Cheers
Benn

Larry,
Good refrigeration is a must for me as if all else fails one must sit down have a cold beer and think about it.
Cheers
Benn

I'm with you on that one. Benn.

Marty - I also agree about our toy boats getting knocked around easily.
A few months ago my engine-heated hot water tank came loose in heavy seas, and it moved just enough to kink one of the hoses cutting off cooling water flow to the engine.

Just one example of the hundreds of things that must be upgraded to handle the full wrath of Neptune.

I'm with you on that one. Benn.

A few months ago my engine-heated hot water tank came loose in heavy seas, and it moved just enough to kink one of the hoses cutting off cooling water flow to the engine.

Bad enough to have a tank loose on the boat, but then to lose the engine in heavy seas.

Marty

I disagree, when you have a full displacement trawler, and going to try crossing an ocean you will realize how badly YOU NEED stabilizers. We turned ours off in a moderately rough and confused sea, it's like being in a rock tumbler.

OLiver, of course you are right, but the all important issue here is cost. I think the original poster was approaching this from the standpoint of what is affordable and adequate if one is prepared to put up with less than perfect conditions at times, versus what you might go for if money is no object.
Let's face it…not many can afford the outlay of over a mill to get out on the water. Those who order/buy well equipped Nordys or KKs or Selenes etc are usually extremely well-heeled, so of course will want the 'works'. However 'want' and 'need' are not synonymous...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom