Man Made Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
RunningTide
Vessel Make
37 Louisiane catamaran
Don't know if I ever posted a reference to this, but I was reminded when it resurfaced in one of my old emails recently.

Richie Sowa's man made island :socool:

...interesting that his plant life is flourishing so well

....but I don't think I would ever take it to sea :nonono:

Images

spiral_island.jpg

...lots more images here

That's SO COOL! I want one! :D

Don't know if I ever posted a reference to this, but I was reminded when it resurfaced in one of my old emails recently.

Richie Sowa's man made island :socool:

...interesting that his plant life is flourishing so well

....but I don't think I would ever take it to sea :nonono:

just what we need.. more plastic trash floating on the ocean!

The first swell over 1' and that is just a bunch of floating plastic debris.

I am surprised the Mexican's put up with that guy... I will venture a guess he doesn't use any type of MSD

HOLLYWOOD
:rofl:

Yup - the island in the video was demolished by a cyclone. He is building another one, and looking for public donations to assist him.
The new island is registered as a boat in Mexico, so he needs anchor lights, life vests etc.

I don't think the hull is very efficient.

I am more concerned that the Leaf Area to Futtock Top Ratio( LAFTR) might be a bit dodgy for true passagemaking. That is just a guess though, I would have to see a photo of the prop and rudder and at least the last 3 feet of the hull at the waterline to be sure.

The anchor question is a good one though and begs the more important question of what is the Root Area Depth Ratio (RADR) of the tree to which the rode is secured.

What is the theoretical slip angle of the plastic bottles?

With reference to the RADR and the anchor rode, after thinking about it a bit, perhaps a more important factor is that the bight should be no worse than the bark.

Here's a pic of the new boat a few years ago. An Island Packet, I think. Nicely fit out with tender, radar, etc;

but wait... he's upgraded and has now converted her to a motorsailer. I'd say she's a true passagemaker now.

Attachments

• SpiralIsland2000.jpg
    SpiralIsland2000.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 218
  • Richie-Sowas-house.jpg
    Richie-Sowas-house.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 2,547
Shades of Waterworld, I'd say. I can just imagine the City Council meetings when such a thing approaches the harbor.

Saw this a few years ago when I was in Isla Mejures helping a friend bring his boat back to the US. Its located on a backwater area on Isla Mejures and is pretty protected.It was much larger than the one in the video.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom