Engine dies at 1300 RPMs and won't start....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
I had some major work done, not on the engines but they were pulled. A few things replaced while out of the boat,
Spark plugs
New fuel filters on the block and in the carb
New fuel pumps
A few hoses
New fuel lines
When the boat got splashed the starboard wouldn't start. We checked for spark and fuel, both were present. The mechanic that was checking thought it might be the engine harness. Prior to pulling the harness he grabbed a jumper box, applied power to the coil, it fired right up. He pulled the harness apart and found the primary plug had some corrosion present. He did nothing but sprayed some die electric grease and it fired right up. He mentioned he didn't care for the style of plug used on the Crusader of this vintage. Said that there are better choices now, less prone to corrosion and poor contact.
So a few minor spins around the harbor since this issue and yesterday I am heading a few hours away - we were only about a mile out, I have been keeping a close eye on all the engine specs, oil, volts, fuel, etc all well within spec.
Not pushing the motors, just enjoying the time out on the waters. Cruising about 1300 RPMs and the starboard motor dies. Like I turned off the key....I immediately thought of the main engine harness and pulled it, used sand paper, cleaned off the contacts and used some more grease (what I had on hand)....Nothing. The engine fires but will not continue to run. I am wondering, could it be the coil causing this problem?? The harness at this point has been cleaned and the prongs re installed but I still have nothing. Thoughts?

1981 Crusader 5.7L 270HP Gasoline

try pouring a little gas in the carb,if it fires then you know that the spark is good you must have fuel problem?? I think that they also have a resister that cuts the 12 volts to nine on the start for the ignition coil.you gould jump that also to check,sometimes they get hot and die altoghter sounds more like a fuel problem to me. but what do I know?????

If gas in carb does not start it and keep it running for short preriod then switch coils per engine. Coil can some times be the culprit. Sounds like must be either gas or electric...

If you have elect fuel pumps - check em out... including their oil pressure shut off switch that shuts down elect fuel pump if oil pressure lowers to certain point.

Mechanical fuel pumps. Fuel was purchased and added to the previous all w/i the last year. Most recently 60 gallons in September. Fuel filters were changed at the beginning of the season, new block/fuel filters, new carb filters.

Check wire connections to engine's main breaker (usually a big red independent button on top of engine toward its rear). Corrosion can sometimes break elect current to that breaker. MOF, clean all elect connections for best elect flow! Good Luck! :thumb:

Had a similar problem with my last gas boat, a 30' Tolly. The anti-siphon valve spring lost it's tension and shut off the fuel flow when underway.

How old was the previous fuel? Could you have added good fuel to gunky fuel? I'd keep an eye on those filters.

Just one harness connection? Had 2 on my towboat and the hidden one under the helm floor was the culprit.

if it wants to run with gas in the carb,then you know that it is not a electrical problem. I had a problem once on a delivery and it was that anti siphon valve,it had some junk from the tank and it pluged the elbow going to the valve

Sounds like the ignition. They sometimes fail for the last time exactly as you describe. I have had two different pertronix units fail in the last four years in the manner you expereinced. One was on a Ford and I have no idea how old it was. The last one was on a Chevy and the entire distributor and ignition module was less than 9 months old and the engine had only 90 hours on it. Each was installed and maintained by a different mechanic as well. Each time I swore it was a fuel delivery issue due to the symptoms. Since you have twins, you can swap the ignition module from the running engine and plug and play in the stalled out engine. Or you can go buy a new one anyway since spares are good to have as I can attest. If it does not solve the issue, then look to fuel delivery matters

Last edited:
I'll be buying a new coil and will be installing one. I figure just as No Plans stated, good to have a spare on board. If it does fix the issue great. I will be moving to checking the fuel delivery. I will post back what my challenges and fix is.

I'll be buying a new coil and will be installing one. I figure just as No Plans stated, good to have a spare on board. If it does fix the issue great. I will be moving to checking the fuel delivery. I will post back what my challenges and fix is.
if it will start by pouring gas in the carb,then there is nothing wrong with the inigition, it would have to be a fuel problem?????????????????????

So this morning I come down to the boat find a lose connection on one of the main bus bars, all the dash guages and accessories were non functioning. I took the fuse out and rrseated it. However it appears the actual prongs are coming loose from the bus. Not the fuse. Whole dash up and running and engine starts like a charm. I think the two are completely unrelated. As I took the fuse out and the engine still ran. So one has nothing to do with the other....now what?

Could a coil cause the engine to die and than later work say after a day of non operation?

Could a coil cause the engine to die and than later work say after a day of non operation?
Yes. It could cause it to work for a few days or longer and then quit. Example from this past September: my boat stalled on a Friday run to a state park. Restarted and it ran fine. Sunday it stalled about 45 minutes into our return. It restarted. Week later, the boat started fine. Exiting the marina breakwater the boat stalled. Restarted after about 20 minutes and ran fine to our destination. Sunday would not start (would turn over) and had to be towed back. Swore it was a fuel problem due to the intermittent stalls and restarts. Stumped my mechanic for a couple of days. It was the new ignition module failing and then finally, failed.

This is annoying. I'm guessing all ran well before the all this work took place.

I had a similar problem and I've got two 5.7 Lt engines.

My mechanic did most of the things you had done with no result.

I kept on mentioning batteries and in all fairness he did check them and said they were ok.

As a last result I turned up with two new batteries and told him to put them in.

Problem GONE and as you it was only one engine.

I'm not saying this is what your problem is but it does sound the same and I know how much this has cost you so far.

Good luck.

So this morning I come down to the boat find a lose connection on one of the main bus bars, all the dash guages and accessories were non functioning. I took the fuse out and rrseated it. However it appears the actual prongs are coming loose from the bus. Not the fuse. Whole dash up and running and engine starts like a charm. I think the two are completely unrelated. As I took the fuse out and the engine still ran. So one has nothing to do with the other....now what?
just for the hell of it check the gas vent for that tank

Sure sounds electric. Could be coil; as I and many have said... Also could be ignition switch at your salon or bridge key-start. Check and clean all the wire connections you can. Silly item like loose connection that accumulated corrosion can create intermittent electric failure... that acts just like turning off the key! For simple test on key-start... start and run engine from different pilot station's key-start.

Great idea, I am going to be purchasing a coil to have on hand. Art, thanks for the thought. I didn't even think about that going to a different station to try to start the boat from. I am going to take it out in the next few days will see if the issue crops up again.

I was going to replace the points and condenser with electronic ignition. Does anyone know a good recommendation for that replacement 1981 crusader 350 gas engines.there seems to be several good brands out there and I like to did receive explanations from people that have expressed directly with those brands. Any help would be appreciated thank you much. Also specific models would be great too.

I saw you posted this elsewhere, but contact Summit Racing and tell them what you have. They will give you the options for a marine "plug and play" set up. The most common is Petronix I believe, but Mallory also is out there as well.

Just one harness connection? Had 2 on my towboat and the hidden one under the helm floor was the culprit.

Yup, that is where I would look.

Also, if the harness was bad once, that is where I would concentrate. IF the connectors were bad, then the wires to the individual pins are suspect too. It happened to me years ago on a Searay with the same type of harness. Get the same mechanic who found that one to look at it again and replace it if BO.

....now what?

Post a photo showing your transom, rudder, and propeller. The boat may be unstable and simply doesn't want to run.

What kind of anchor does it have?

Post a photo showing your transom, rudder, and propeller. The boat may be unstable and simply doesn't want to run. What kind of anchor does it have?
ROFL! I think I just pissed my pants.

Bshillam,

I will be back in town later this week and can give you a hand if needed.

Bob

Post a photo showing your transom, rudder, and propeller. The boat may be unstable and simply doesn't want to run.

What kind of anchor does it have?

Two good in one week RickB, although I much preferred the blowing dress shot. Was that from Australia?

Sounds good Bob. Do you have a timing light w rpm? I was going to place an order but thought I would ask. I found out today that my igintion is indeed electronic so I am going to purchase new caps, rotors and adjust timing. After that I am going to wait for it to stall again and begin trouble shooting again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom