Leaking hydraulic steering pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Has anyone replaced the seals on a Teleflex Capilano steering pump? I found a number for a seal kit but have not found any instructions unless they come with the seal kit.

Thanks,

Bob

I have done this recently with my teleflex. There was a breakdown in the package and I reassembled accordingly. Took me about an hour. Bleeding the system was a bigger task. If your buying the seal kit at a store just ask to open the package to be sure.

I replace the seals in my Capilano unit. Was pretty easy. Just took it apart and put back together the opposite way. I do have the bleeding instructions in PDF form if you need them.

I have the seal kit on order. I really don't want to do the whole unit, just the shaft seal. I'm hoping I can pull that seal out from the front.

Bob

If my memory is correct, the seal is changed from the inside which meant a break down of the entire pump. It's really not that bad though.

The Teleflex Capilano 250/275 and 1250 all have steering shaft seals that are replaceable from outside after removing the steering wheel.

Just got the rebuild kit even though I really only need the shaft seal. Just the one seal did not seem to be an option. Heading to the boat next weekend to put the seal in.

Tried to look at the images on the Sea Ray site but you have to register. May do that later.

We're in Waterford Harbor, where are you in Seabrook?

Bob

I am at Blue Dolphin

We looked at Blue Dolphin but didn't care for the fixed docks and narrow finger piers. Although with the summer sun beating down on us here in the open we may reconsider.

None of the O-rings in the rebuild kit fit the steering shaft. I found the model number on the side of the pump and it's 250V not 1250V as I thought although they look alike in the pictures. The retainer for the O-ring wasn't pushed in all the way so I reseated it and it hasn't leaked since then, not quite one day.

Bob

give me your email and I will give you all my data on the capilano 250

Finally joined the forum today. Have been visiting for three years or so, but all the answers have been here so I was too lazy to join.

I am going to rebuild my leaking Capilano 250 steering pumps. Looking for seal kits online it appears that the 250 275 and 1250 all use the same kit but I noticed that BobH above did not have that experience. Wondering if anyone have any more info.
Thanks

Congratulations Gordon, on taking the plunge after 3years of lurking. Any man willing to rebuild hydraulic pumps has plenty to offer fellow members, welcome.

The kit I bought did not include the O-ring for the shaft, the one I really needed. But you can measure the shaft size and the recess that the O-ring fits into and then go to McMaster and find the proper O-ring. I think the measurements were 3/4" and 1", so a 1/8" O-ring with a 3/4" ID should fit.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I will do that. Has your pump continued not to leak since you reseated the o ring?

I replaced the O-ring. Wish now that I had written down the number. It was obviously worn on the inside were the shaft turned. It has not leaked since, about a year now.

Bob

Excellent, thank you. Looks like you have saved me some money not having to buy 2 seal kits.

The only problem with McMaster is that that size comes in a bag of 25. That should last you several lifetimes. But it's only 7 or 8 bucks plus shipping. But once you look it up and get the Dash number you might be able to find them locally. I know that in this area one of the hardware stores has a pretty good selection.

Bob

Thanks Bob. There is a business in Vancouver that specializes in seals and O rings. You can buy them individually. I will give them a shot. I will be starting on this project in a couple of weeks. I will post when finished with a report.

Make sure the shaft doesn't have any burrs on it so it doesn't tear the O-ring when you slide it on. One of mine looked like somebody had grabbed it with a pair of Visegrips.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I'll watch for that.

A good hardware store should have an assortment of o-rings. I've had pretty good luck going that route.

You are probably going to need a new woodruff key also. I got the keys and the o rings at Advanced Auto. Paid less than 15.00 for all.

I have completed my steering pump project. One pump was leaking from the steering shaft and the other from the shaft below it that controls the number of turn from lock to lock so I decided to buy kits. The pumps were Capilano Teleflex 250v's. Fortunately the kits contained all the O rings I needing and a bunch I didn't. I found a web site that gave me good info on taking the front cover off the pumps. The Marine Installer's Rant: The leaking Capilano caper
Once I had the covers off I noticed black sludge inside the cases that looked similar to dirty engine oil. The only place I thought it could be coming from was deteriorating O rings. Anyway whatever it was I decided to rip everything out of the cases and clean. It was pretty straight forward. You just grab the steering shaft and pull everything straight out of the case. Both sets of bearing are in cages so you don't have to worry about them flying all over the place. After I did the first pump I realized it was not necessary to remove the two circlips. While I was at it I replaced the two O rings on the outlet port valves. I reinstalled them on the boat and got half way through bleeding yesterday. Just have to keep my fingers crossed that they don't still leak.

The first pic shows the dirty oil in the case. Unfortunately the second is upside down but shows the cover being removed form the case. Looks like the third is upside down as well. Hopefully my wrench skills are better than my computer skills.

Attachments

• IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 212
In Vancouver is Wraison Seals.

In Surrey is Production supply

GordC - This is my first post on this site. I've followed it for a while and appreciate all of the good advice.

I have a Capilano 1250V model, upper and lower helm station. The upper helm pump has a small leak coming from where the steering wheel shaft enters the pump housing. I'm guessing that I'll have to remove the pump, dissemble and replace the o-ring similar to what you did. Do you have any pictures that you can share . . or advice? Thanks!

Not sure what model I have, but I was able to just replace the O-ring from the front of the pump. No disassembly required. I think the shaft is 3/4" and the housing the O-ring fits into is 1".

Bob

Back
Top Bottom