Admirals & Pedestals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
There is an awful lot of talk on this forum about Admirals and their pedestals.

However, on almost all the threads I have read over the years, these delicate creatures never seem to be allowed to actually drive the boat, dock it, set the anchors etc.

Just wondering are there any 'Katherine Hepburn', dam the torpedos, full steam ahead types out there, that take the helm and bow to no man, or does the forum's 'Me Tarzan' mind set drive them back into the galley.

I know quite a few women who are great sailors, they just don't seem to populate forums like these.

Check out Janice142 here. While I've not had the pleasure of meeting her personally, she skippers her own vessel. Strikes me very much as the type of lady you described. And I mean that in the most respectful and flattering way possible.

OD

Good question Andy. I'll try to keep it short but in a nutshell, We purchased our American Tug to act as a "trainer" if you will, for the admiral.
It has been my goal since a young man to move aboard some day and preferably never return (so to speak). I have been working to achieve this and only have a few more years to go! My admiral also shares this dream with me. However, she does not come from a boating background as I do, nor did she have any experience. It was her that decided that if we are going to embark on this goal together, she would not feel comfortable unless she knew what she was doing.

So we purchased our tug and she has been learning as much as she can. I even have her single handing on occasion when she feels comfortable (I'm on board but we act as if she's alone). She changes oil, fuel filters etc and last time I did the heat exchanger she help out. This is all her doing, not mine. And I consider myself very fortunate to have her along on this journey.
When we are ready. We will sell the tug and move aboard our next boat and away we go. Now if I could only get her to start paying for all this it would beyond perfect. Ha, :)

Andy,

We share time at the helm and on occasion she will dock, but doesn't do it often enough to be good at it. She pretty much always sets the anchor as I am on the bow. Please don't call her Admiral. I have her convinced she is only an able seaman. The dog however has been given the rank of LTJG Winston. On the other hand I have to follow the dog around, work in the engine room, fuel the boat, work on the macerator, row the dinghy with the dog and her in it, and do all those things that helps insure the boat can get from a to b in the planned time and doesn't float off at night. I guess that makes me a seaman recruit.

Tom

Well, blow me down.

I'm just about to start some batch cooking for my godson this afternoon and I thought I would see if anything was on the 'box' while I did the prep, all that garlic & ginger, onions etc.

And what did I find on but 'The Africa Queen'. Now that's what I'm talking about, ain't that right Mr Bogart?

I keep a copy of African Queen on the boat as well as Casa Blanca. I typically run them once a month while on the boat during weekdays. My favorite saying is the one Hepburn says just after going over the first set of rapids: Now that I've had a taste of it, Mr. Allnut, I don't wonder why you love boating".

My Admiral prefers being chauffeured whether it's on the road or on the water.

MY Galley Wench (her choice of nicknames) frequently drives Beachcomber. She's set the anchor a few times and has even backed it into the slip.

Two years ago when we were coming upriver from Portland, OR, she drive the boat for just over two hours while I napped. She kept it in the channel just fine and I had a great nap.

She also does all the dock line work and ties us up when we're in one of the locks. She's a GREAT deckhand and I tell her that frequently.

I know quite a few women who are great sailors, they just don't seem to populate forums like these.

Andy, I think your comment is accurate. In general the women don't populate these forums in the same percentages as men. I live in a world of cruisers, mostly sailors, many circumnavigators. Almost all of the women are competent at the helm, charting and weather analysis. In a lifetime of boating the finest display of docking ability I have seen was with a woman at the helm of a Defever 49.

I am wondering if talking about boating, as in the mechanics thereof, is not as high on the list of priorities for the women as other subjects, thus the lesser numbers of posters on this forum.

Marty

Interesting thread. My husband and I have been boaters for 15-20 years and liveaboards for 4 years. I know a couple of women who single-hand their boats and do most of the maintenance. They love the water and boating lifestyle so they have been motivated to learn how do do more by themselves. I think what I see more often is when one partner is more committed to boating than the other, and hence not as anxious to take on more responsibility. I would say there are more women that fit that description but I've seen that men as well. We know on couple where the woman wants to be on the boat but he would rather be on the golf course. So guess who drives the boat and takes care of everything.

I haven't "had" to do it all by myself that but feel I'm an equal partner in our boating and cruising lifestyle. I drive the boat, I'm the navigator, handle all the lines when dock, although admittedly I haven't docked, but I'm quite comfortable that I could if I needed to do so. When we've painted the boat bottom, I've sanded, and painted right along side my husband. When he had knee replacement surgery, I did oil changes ( under his direction and with gloves on which made him laugh), checked the batteries and sea cocks, and dove the boat to clean the bottom (we are both divers although it's not the kind of diving I like.).

The point of this is I think everyone has their strengths and can rise to the occasion to do more when necessary. I'm certainly not a diesel mechanic but I can be a helper. My husband doesn't sew but he can help when I need to sew. We both love the lifestyle so it's a partnership. And yes, I'm on this forum more than he is...guess he's in the engine room.

Gina

Gina

Every situation is different. In my case, I am fortunate that my wife loves being on the boat. She isn't very good about taking care of things (her iPhone has a cracked screen less than four months after we replaced her cracked screen, she never remembers to have her car serviced, etc.), she isn't comfortable driving a car in bad weather (she freezes up if the car starts to skid, for example), and she gets bored charting a course.

She likes to make decisions, and she makes good ones. She chose our current boat and negotiated an amazing deal for it. She reviews and approves planned destinations, suggests new places to go. So our division of labor fits our skill sets. I'm at the wheel most of the time and she spells me when I need a break and we're in the clear. I handle maintenance, repairs, pump outs and fill-ups. It works for us.

Tom and I share helm time and maintenance chores, he is mechanicals and I am cleaning, polishing and varnishing crew. Although I can get my arms under the engine for diaper duty.

I handle lines all of the time, and I am on the bow for anchoring. I did dock the boat once and did it well, but I prefer to handle the lines. Someday I'll put more time into docking, but we have a good routine and it works for us. We both know in an emergency I can bring her home.

I am navigator and plan all cruises and create all float plans. (yes we always leave one with someone)

I am first mate, or deck hand, please don't call me admiral. :D

My wife loves being out on the boat, and is slowly taking on more responsibility, but wants to be 100% sure of herself before taking on a challenge. Then she excels. Me - I just have a go at it, make mistakes, and sometimes learn from them. Different strokes for different folks.

I have noticed that a few other boating forums such as Cruisers Forum, appear to have a larger percentage of female posters. It could be that trawlers are more popular with an older demographic and the girls of this era aren't as forward as their younger sisters. Perhaps some of the "Off the Deep End" posts scare them off.

My Linda is a GREAT cook! I am a great BBQer! She spent decades on ski boats and house boats. I spent decades on coastal cruisers throughout New England states. My Admiral will do anything our boat's Captain (me) requests. I simply love to and am well versed in taking care of nearly any "boat" item. My Admiral (her) loves to decorate and clean (oh, and did I mention COOK! lol)... I will do anything she requests. Together we make a fine pleasure boating pair! :dance: :dance: :speed boat: :D

My wife (of 45 years)handles the helm with aplomb. When we compete in a Predicted Log contest, she does the piloting as she steers in a straight line and I don't. It must be difficult for the guys whose "significant others" (how PC of me) want to have nothing to do with boating.

My wife (of 45 years)handles the helm with aplomb. When we compete in a Predicted Log contest, she does the piloting as she steers in a straight line and I don't. It must be difficult for the guys whose "significant others" (how PC of me) want to have nothing to do with boating.

A - That's predictable from your threads and posts in OTDE! - LOL :D

One of my best videos I shot while my late wife was piloting our 25' Blackfin in 5' following seas from Perdido Pass, AL to Horn Island, MS. Then across Mississippi Sound. Over 100 miles while perched on top of the leaning post. No auto pilot. Just driving the boat. We were making 22 knots. A great day! She did a wonderful job. Too bad it is in VHS format. If I can get it converted to digital, I will post some of it.

One of my best videos I shot while my late wife was piloting our 25' Blackfin in 5' following seas from Perdido Pass, AL to Horn Island, MS. Then across Mississippi Sound. Over 100 miles while perched on top of the leaning post. No auto pilot. Just driving the boat. We were making 22 knots. A great day! She did a wonderful job. Too bad it is in VHS format. If I can get it converted to digital, I will post some of it.

Don - I'm sure many would like to see it! Sounds great! :thumb:

Don - I'm sure many would like to see it! Sounds great! :thumb:

Ok, Art, you are forcing me to get off my duff and get a video converter. I will try and get to it after some business stuff. I would like to see it again. I have been needing to convert some old tapes to DVDs. I think the trip over to the
Chandeleur Islands is on the same tape.

Don there are several very good tutorials available on YouTube to guide you through the process if you need them.

Ok, Art, you are forcing me to get off my duff and get a video converter. I will try and get to it after some business stuff. I would like to see it again. I have been needing to convert some old tapes to DVDs. I think the trip over to the

Gee, Don you're easy! lol Good Luck and Thanks... from Us All! :popcorn:

Don there are several very good tutorials available on YouTube to guide you through the process if you need them.

Thanks Craig. I'm looking, but haven't found a tutorial for 72 year olds yet.:D

My admiral likes the pedestal I put her up on...
She likes to look down upon the mere captain and her crew..
Hollywood

Interesting thoughts, though out of 22 posts on this thread, 21 have been from men.

Perla adds to my fun on the Coot.

img_205130_0_596194a0812644834abe960bd4ac9351.jpg

Or you could drop the video tape off at Costco or a local drug store for conversion to DVD. We converted several VHS tapes to DVD for under $50. Well worth it!

Sigh......I had rather hoped it would be the OSH's(other significant half)that would be replying.

:ermm:
Interesting thoughts, though out of 22 posts on this thread, 21 have been from men.

Yo, Andy

Most Admirals don't too much read these posts, nor post on TF themselves. Caus, too busy nesting for purpose of our and their continued enjoyment/stability! And brother, that surely ain't half bad!! :thumb:

Whereas we "men folk"... ya know, the Captains, mechanics, pilots, buyers, deal makers, boat sellers, equipment installers, commode repair persons, under sole contortionists (I could go on - lol)... well, we need the camaraderie, support, expanded knowledge and stress relief our posts provide to one another. Cause, if we were required to play "nester" with our Admirals all day long... well... the engines might quit running, heads could overflow, controls may get stuck, gauges wouldn't operate, zincs can disappear, lubes not get changed... and on and on... that's reality's picture! :facepalm:

Old truism that goes both ways from one life-mate-partner regarding the other: “Sometimes can't live with em... Most the time can't live without em!” :rolleyes: :D :smitten: :ermm:

At least that's how my Admiral and I see it... we be good ol' simple folk - LOL!
YRMV :popcorn:

Last edited:
Sigh......I had rather hoped it would be the OSH's(other significant half)that would be replying.

Andy G, we know better than to let you Aussie guys talk to our women.:D

I do the mechanical work, cleaning buffing and waxing, and poke around on the web sites, but she handles the boat, including anchoring and docking, quite well. She also holds the size records for all species of fish we've caught. It's my privilege to clean them, however.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom