is it, or is it not, a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think perhaps it's anything that blows their skirts up, and/or is expensive might be the definition.

In that case, helicopters on boats are really cool!

Attachments

• helo boarding.jpg
    helo boarding.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 134
In that case, helicopters on boats are really cool!

I rest my case! Why is it that when I saw that photo- a quote I'm often saying came to mind? "buy quality you only cry once".

Were these Heavy Cruisers the original trawlers?

1947 Monk (By Shane) BridgeDeck Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I doubt it. But what came before them?

Averilla and those like her are probably pre-war boats and were Cruisers. At the time I don't think they were called anything else. But of course I only know that they were called Cruisers in the 50s. I spent a lot of time around Lake Union in Seattle at that time. Some that looked more like a modern Passagemaker were called Heavy Cruisers.

A modern day Cruiser would be like a Carver or Bayliner. So perhaps nothing's changed except Heavy Cruisers are now Trawlers.

Attachments

• DSCF0811 copy.jpg
    DSCF0811 copy.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Eric, I wonder what the original engine was like. Betcha it was gasoline-fueled. It looks like it was fast.

Could be a Scripps V12. I think they were gasoline. There were GM/Grey Marine and flat head gas Grey Marine, Lathrop, Brennan, Buick, Bar conversions, Nordberg, Chris Craft, Kermath, Caterpillar, Chrysler, Flagship (Owens) and Universal.

I have a 1953 Motor Boating magazine and used it for part of the list above.
Most of these engines were gas flat head types. Chris Craft and Owens both had their own marine engines at that time. Have little idea where they got their base engines from. Could be Continental like the Kaiser car or Hudson for all I know. CC had a fairly extensive line of flat head engines from their small 4 cyl to the really big 160hp in-line 6cyl. Probably over 300 cu. in. They powered their 52' Chris Craft with 3 of the 160hp FH sixes and claimed 16 knot cruise for the boat and 25 knots top.

Almost all of these engines had their flywheel on the front of the engine so the engine could be mounted low in the boat for low shaft angles and CG. Some of the Lathrop engines had a cast iron oil pan that included the gear box. They were long and heavy and probably very smooth. Lathrop's were OHV. Flat heads had the very significant advantage of minimal height w the FH valves and the flywheel forward.

Were these Heavy Cruisers the original trawlers?

1947 Monk (By Shane) BridgeDeck Cruiser Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I doubt it. But what came before them?

Averilla and those like her are probably pre-war boats and were Cruisers. At the time I don't think they were called anything else. But of course I only know that they were called Cruisers in the 50s. I spent a lot of time around Lake Union in Seattle at that time. Some that looked more like a modern Passagemaker were called Heavy Cruisers.

A modern day Cruiser would be like a Carver or Bayliner. So perhaps nothing's changed except Heavy Cruisers are now Trawlers.

We used to have a boat just like that in Powell River, BC. He was a member of the T&T list server. Nice guy, who loved boats. Not sure what happened to him. You'd like him. He had a big ass anchor.

TMiller,

Welcome to the 79 42LRC club. I recieved my renewal notice a few weeks back from Ace American Insurance with a 20% increase for 2014. The reason being the vessel is now 35 years old.

I spoke with a fellow 42 owner who stated Marshall built 200 of the 42LRC's. The 3 digits following the JCM42 in the HID# represent the production number. Mine is number 150.

Dave.

then mine would be hull #166! Thanks for that info... and yes, I am satisfied about the answer to my original question.

as for staying warm in Oregon, we have not moved aboard yet, but have spent the last 1.5 years on a sailboat in the same marina.. staying warm is not an issue so far :)

the person I am buying the Californian from is also a live aboard and has not had any issues.. the boat has 2 diesel heaters for when it gets *really* cold.. which is not often... he actually lived through a couple of winters in AK with it. A couple of standard West Marine electric heaters work just fine otherwise.

But then, depending on where you are from, staying warm in Oregon can mean "not letting it get below 60 inside" (during some really cold snaps it has been as low as 48 F in the morning on the sailboat) 70 F is considered a bit warmish... :)

as for staying warm in Oregon, we have not moved aboard yet, but have spent the last 1.5 years on a sailboat in the same marina.. staying warm is not an issue so far :)

the person I am buying the Californian from is also a live aboard and has not had any issues.. the boat has 2 diesel heaters for when it gets *really* cold.. which is not often... he actually lived through a couple of winters in AK with it. A couple of standard West Marine electric heaters work just fine otherwise.
Ahh, you're set up with diesel heat. I only have wall mounted Thermador electric heaters in each compartment and they're fine, March through November.

I lived on mind for about a year and a half while going through a divorce. The first year was fine, but the second winter was hard and we had a long cold spell down into the teens and that was enough for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom