View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Art, so spot on with your rules of thumb!

I guess I'm a little surprised at how much you go through before making an offer. Maybe that's just a regional difference. Here in Florida, sellers and brokers are usually going to want a purchase contract before they will let you do a sea trial, or have the boat surveyed. And I, personally, would like to know that the seller and I can agree on a price before I spend the money for a surveyor and a mechanic.

Of course, the purchase contract must always include a contingency that lets me out if there is anything about the survey/sea trial that I do not like. That also gives another opening for re-negotiation if things turn up that I did not expect.
It just seems by wrote to me... but, I should have mentioned that after my brief cursory review (to see if the craft even interests me)... usually before my full-on personal review, and way before professional surveyors' reviews... there is nearly always a pending agreement signed with DP$$ in place and my list of contingencies well spelled out. I can at any time walk due to contingencies and quickly get my DP back which must be held in an escrow account - or homey don't play! LOL
Art is online now   Reply With Quote