Temps too low for -50F Antifreeze?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DinghyDog

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Pacific Trawler 37
I've always used West Marine's -50F antifreeze for years without problems around the Chesapeake Bay area. Currently on the hard and not allowed to run electical for heating. Anyone up North have experience as to whether this stuff can really withstand a few sub-zero nights?

Pure Oceans -50F Specs:
  • Provides burst protection to -50°F (-46°C) and freeze protection within a range of +12°F to +16°F (-11°C to -9°C)
  • When testing with a refractometer or hydrometer designed for use with propylene glycol, freeze point readings on the PG scale will range from +12°F to +16°F
Note: The burst point of PVC pipes used in most drinking water systems is about -10°F (-23°C). When winterizing water systems in regions where temperatures can fall below -10°F (-23°C), we recommend using West Marine Pure Oceans -100°F (-73°C) Marine Antifreeze.

Mike

Last edited:
the problem is not the antifreeze...but how it's used...if it's diluted too much by the way it's used in systems...then yes it can freeze...

its supposed to be able to go pretty low and just get slushy...but
I have seen damage when it was just diluted too much.

I don't think you'll see -10°F in the Chesapeake Bay area so you should be fine if it's not diluted.

I've used -50 antifreeze for years on the hard in Ct where we have several sub-zero nights every winter , probably close to -10 F (maybe even slightly lower). I use it non diluted. Never had a problem with it.

The real trick is to know that you have run enough through or there is no way a pocket of very diluted antifreeze exists...some people think price versus ultimate results....

usually it's a forgotten faucet, outdoor shower, icemaker...etc...etc that gets forgotten and damaged

A checklist would be a good idea. If we're talking about potable water systems, another way to handle this is by draining the piping, appliances, etc. and then using compressed air to blow out any remaining water. Things like the water tanks and water heater don't have to be empty, just nearly empty.

Winterizing this way eliminates the cost of antifreeze but more importantly, there's no taste of the antifreeze to get rid of next season.

Back
Top Bottom