Jumping to dock ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyDog

I keep reading about people jumping on to the dock from a boat while docking.

:nonono:

Time to fess up.

IMO there have to have been some experiences worth sharing.

All I have to say, If you can't brag about it, call it experience.

I keep reading about people jumping on to the dock from a boat while docking.

:nonono:

Time to fess up.

IMO there have to have been some experiences worth sharing.

All I have to say, If you can't brag about it, call it experience.

We are Yachtsmen..

We step with flowing purpose...

HOLLYWOOD

:socool:

"A gentleman will walk but never run (jump)"

Okay tough bunch here. ;)

How many of you or your jump, fly, levitate, whatever to the dock while docking?

Aboard Salty Dog at least two line are secured prior to the feet meet of the dock 99.9% of the time.

Who else follows a similar plan as me?

How many of you or your jump, fly, levitate, whatever to the dock while docking?

Gentlemen of my age have long ago given up the sport of jumping. We just kind of gently ease ourselves to the dock, taking great care. :)

We only step off. The Coot's deck is approximately the same level as the floating docks around here. We usually tie the springline between the two side cleats first, thus controlling fore and aft movement and holding the boat to the dock, then bow and stern lines. We step off to tie the lines. Don't want to lean out of the boat to attempt tying off before getting onto the dock. The helsman's duty is to keep the boat snug to the dock as the person steps off with the springline, using propwalk and bow thruster if needed.

img_204257_0_4899de3216bd7d237ec6947c72d453fc.jpg

(The two coots in the foreground haven't tied up yet.)

Last edited:
Since I'm running the boat, my wife is the first to step onto the dock. She doesn't "jump" and I wouldn't either. If you can't step onto the dock while holding onto something steady, you're not docking correctly.

I tell my crew to not jump on the dock under any circumstances. It is my job to bring the boat along side the dock. They are not to step off until a line is secured, and I say so. They can never know when I decide to move the boat one way or another. Jumping is just not a good practice.

I tell my crew to not jump on the dock under any circumstances. It is my job to bring the boat along side the dock. They are not to step off until a line is secured, and I say so. They can never know when I decide to move the boat one way or another. Jumping is just not a good practice.

Yes, also our policy.

We also have a policy to NEVER stand on the swim platform while docking. A friend of mine once witnessed someone slipping off a platform and getting killed by the prop. That sticks in my mind.

Okay tough bunch here. ;)

Aboard Salty Dog at least two line are secured prior to the feet meet of the dock 99.9% of the time.

How do you attach the lines to the dock before anyone steps onto the dock? Lasso?

How do you attach the lines to the dock before anyone steps onto the dock? Lasso?

In a way yes. I leave one end loose and the other end tied off on the midship cleat. All that has to be done is throw the line over the cleat and tie off the loose end, either pulling the boat closer or using the line as a spring and pulling her closer with the engines. Nobody need leave the boat until I'm alongside.

In a way yes. I leave one end loose and the other end tied off on the midship cleat. All that has to be done is throw the line over the cleat and tie off the loose end, either pulling the boat closer or using the line as a spring and pulling her closer with the engines. Nobody need leave the boat until I'm alongside.

+1. I leave 4 spring lines attached to the midship cleats in line holders attached to the rails. Always ready. On the East Coast we have many fixed docks. Usually on those we can lay to boat right against a piling. They can be a big help in springing in difficult situation.

Daddyo, I've done that when single-handed.

To answer the OPs original question...

I grew up with boats. The only time I didn't own one was when I was in the navy. My first boat was a rowboat (camouflage aluminum, yeah baby!), my second boat was a Coleman canoe. Getting on and off those boats as a youth with a Labrador Retriever taught me more about vector diagrams than any physics course did. There is an immediate and consequential learning curve. It is amazing that either of us had our teeth.

The rule (or standard, really), of course, is that no one on the boat jumps for the dock. I have a wife, two kids and a dog. All, except my daughter, have jumped for the dock at one time. The dog, in his defense, really had to pee. My daughter is either a slow learner or a quick learner; I'm not sure.

As far as the lassoing of cleats goes; ever see a bullrail?

As far as the lassoing of cleats goes; ever see a bullrail?

We have one of the old EZ-Dockers, which I don't believe you can get anymore. A bent piece of stainless steel encased in hard rubber with a 50' line attached. Shaped somewhat like a hook with a few hard angles. Anyway, with bull rails my wife secures the bitter end to the midship cleat and tosses the EZ-Docker over the bull rail. Pulls, and it grabs EVERY SINGLE TIME. Then just idle in fwd or reverse to bring the boat up to dock. Step off.

She's also become quite good at lassoing cleats. Well, more like "looping" them. But she's pretty good, with around a .700 batting average.

I will admit to jumping a few times. But that's all I'll admit to! :lol:

Since I'm running the boat, my wife is the first to step onto the dock. She doesn't "jump" and I wouldn't either. If you can't step onto the dock while holding onto something steady, you're not docking correctly.

Absolutely agree + docklines are handed, never, ever thrown.

Comical...while jumping to the dock in the commercial world is commonplace...leaping is the debate between the experienced and the inexperienced captains and crew.....:D

A non boating friend for some reason jumped from a buddy's sportfisherman, he tripped and fell on the dock. He often recounts it over drinks, and how he gracefully "rolled with the fall" and got right back to his feet. We have to remind him he actually hit the dock like a big bag of sh-t !

I drive the boat, but Bess jumps or steps or does whatever she needs to do... Moreover, whatever she WANTS to do. Every docking maneuver is a little different and all dockhands are not created equal. I would never assume to pass any hard rule that there is no jumping, sliding, stepping, throwing. Whatever it takes to get her in safely (or with the most minimal manageable risk) tied up. I do my job... she does hers. We are a team.

Published in the August 2003 issue o Passagemaker.
Method of Tying Boats to a Dock
Submitted by: Charles C. Culotta, Jr.
On a recent multi thousand-mile trip up the Tombigbee and Tennessee River System, we found virtually every boat tied
with the "eye" of the dock lines on the boat and the bitter end on the dock. This results in the dock being tied firmly to the boat!
By the way, we see a lot of this on the coasts but not as much as we saw on the rivers, where it seems to be universal. I hasten
to add that I learned the same way. Having acquired my first large boat in the oil patch I was quickly "corrected" by a
commercial boat captain. I then began to take cognizance of how shrimp boats and the professionals tie up oilfield boats. In
trying to discern exactly why so many boaters do this, I came to the conclusion (quite possibly erroneously) that it is probably a
hold over from starting to boat on small boats, i.e. runabouts and skiffs that have the dock lines made-up to the boat. Upon
graduating to "yachts" this habit transfers. So, what difference does it make, you ask?
Tying The Boat To The Dock
The boater approaches the dock with all lines ready. Each line is set through the hawse or laid near the cleat with the eye
ready to be placed over the dock cleat or piling. The boater may throw the eye to someone on the dock for it to be placed on
the cleat or piling of the BOATERS CHOICE or the deckhand drops the line over the cleat or piling. Right here is where this
system shines.
The boater has TOTAL CONTROL of how much slack is left in the line(s). This enables the boater to use a spring line to pull
the boat along side without a lot of shouted orders and miscues, for your deck hand has ALREADY been apprized of YOUR
INTENTIONS. The deckhand KNOWS how much slack you need to swing in or you can tell the deckhand in a speaking and
not loud voice to adjust the lines and you KNOW that it will be done because you have practiced this and reviewed it before
starting this docking maneuver. In the event you are pulling into a slip, you, again, have TOTAL CONTROL of your boat.
Once the boat is in the slip YOU may adjust the lines to your satisfaction without trying to convey your wishes to a stranger and
without getting off of the boat. Adjusting the lines without leaving the boat is especially helpful when, at two a.m., a sudden
storm comes up, you don't have to GET OFF the boat in the wind and rain to adjust the lines.
Again, getting off the boat in a strange place in the dark is dangerous and an invitation to injury. Not to mention that if you have
a sundeck style of some other type with a really high freeboard, then we are talking about a gymnastic feat. Once we watched a
couple dock a large flush-deck yacht. He was at the wheel and as the boat came alongside she climbed down the 6 ft. high
ladder from the back deck to the swim platform, ducked under the suspended dinghy and then got off while the boat was still
moving. Of course she was out of his sight line doing all of this. Then before the boat was made up HE ALSO GOT OFF!!! I
am well aware that in the Pacific NW most docks do not have cleats and one must get off to tie to the horizontal timber but to
me, that is the clear exception.
In order to ease getting the dock line over the cleat or piling we have spliced FOUR FOOT DIAMETER eyes in all of our
lines. The way I learned this trick was, again, from a commercial boat captain who saw me trying to lasso a piling a la Will
Rogers. He tactfully explained to me that this does not work because cowboy ropes are very STIFF and will hold a circle, our
soft dock lines simply will not. In addition, my wife Pat and I want to be as self-sufficient as possible. We certainly don't decline
assistance in docking but we have found this method far superior to being dependent on help. This applies to leaving a dock as
well. Since we control the lines from the boat it is very easy (with the four foot eyes) to pop the eye of the dock line from a
piling or cleat when getting underway thus not requiring shore side assistance. Comes in real handy when leaving very early in
the morning with current or wind working against you and no one is around to help.
Another option for ease in leaving a dock is to place the eye on board and run the line around the piling and back to the boat so
that you are able to slip the line quickly and pull away. In this same vein, it is not good practice to use one line from the boat to
two points on the dock. Doing so makes it difficult to adjust the line(s) and to leave the dock.
From the school of Hard Knocks:
I often mention that I have been boating so long that I have made just about every mistake---at least once! Particularly
docking. From that vast reservoir we rely on the following:
1. Two way radio earphones with a built in voice operated mike. The "mouse ear" type available at large toy stores. This
leaves BOTH hands free while docking and enables instant communication between the helm and the deckhand. The
cost is about $20 per pair.
2. The aforementioned four-foot eyes in the dock lines.
3. What we call a GLOP-D.
Picture this:
A standard telescoping boat hook. Extend only the outer length. This should be about 2.5 ft. long. That is between the
end and the first extension point. Get two stainless steel hose clamps that are long enough to be tightened on the pole
but, and this is the important part, leave about 3 inches of the clamp free. One is placed near the end of the pole just
short of the end fitting, and the other just before the extension joint. This provides two "hooks" onto which your dock
line eye is placed. The two clamps will be about 2.5 ft. apart as stated. I then used yellow electrical tape on the "hook"
part of the clamps to give it visibility and a smooth finish. In the event that the deckhand prefers to place the eye as
opposed to throwing it, this is a terrific little aid.
GLOP-D? Get Line Over Piling Device
As the commercial says, "try it, you'll like it."
About

There's many ways to get a boat to a dock and many ways to tie one up...as TomB pointed out...no one size, method or means fits all boats, all drivers, all deckhands or all situations.

There's many ways to get a boat to a dock and many ways to tie one up...as TomB pointed out...no one size, method or means fits all boats, all drivers, all deckhands or all situations.

Agreed. Many power boats simply don't have the side deck access to make use of the "eye on the dock cleat method".

Agreed. Many power boats simply don't have the side deck access to make use of the "eye on the dock cleat method".

Plus for me.... EVERY dock helper from harbormasters to good sams NEVER drop the loop on the cleat (even with me just about yelling at them to do so)...they invariably tie a cleat hitch so I wind up redoing it anyhow. That's in the last 4000 miles of ICW cruising over the last 3 years.

I try to be good enough that it doesn't matter what anyone does...on the boat or on the dock...I try to get the boat in a position in most weather situations where I can leave the helm and do it myself or be right next to the person I'm coaching.

Sure....some winds and currents demand a lot out of skipper, crew and dock hand...but I avoid those as much as I can....and except for just a few days in the last 300 days of travel...it has worked pretty well.

Plus for me.... EVERY dock helper from harbormasters to good sams NEVER drop the loop on the cleat (even with me just about yelling at them to do so)...they invariably tie a cleat hitch so I wind up redoing it anyhow. That's in the last 4000 miles of ICW cruising over the last 3 years.

Which leads me to this: I don't, in any way, shape, or form expect a dockhand to give me our final tie. There has never, in my memory, been a time that I didn't have to re-tie her to the dock. So I don't even look at hands as the guys that will tie be up. I see them as just there to catch us and help us in. Like a rigger, I only trust my own (and Bess') knots. If something goes wrong, I don't want to blame anyone but myself. :D

This is a 'Rig Hook or Loop" these are used by some of the fishemen in our area for hooking up to the oil rigs offshore while fishing. It is a piece of 1" PVC pipe with a 1/2" rope going through it. There is a loop spliced in one end, the loop has a piece of garden hose about 18" long built in to help hold it open. This is very handy for docking or "catching" pilings or cleats. They are very easy and inexpensive to make. I have the one pictured on board also a shorter one made up with vinyl coated wire, a large loop on one end and a small, about 8" dia loop on the other, it is useful when locking to grab the pintles built into locks concrete walls.

Attachments

• rig hook.jpg
    rig hook.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 86
Yes, but personal safety trumps all. If you can't dock safely (and jumping from a rocking boat to a possibly rocking dock is not safe), you need a plan "B". Try again, try another dock, or anchor until you can dock safely.

If there are two of you on the boat and you're operating and the other person injures him/herself or goes in the water trying to dock, what will you do then?

No need to be rational about this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom