Single-Hand Cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
. A line the length of the boat works for me.

Should a Bo Bo happen a line that will not reach the prop if overboard might be wise.

Unfortunately if you're using the midship cleat that might restrict your useable line length to less than 15',

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

I'm in neutral while tossing a coiled line. Might have been worth mentioning. Always good to think these things through ahead of time.

Check out the set sail website. Steve and Linda Dashew have been a world wide cruising couple for years. Their current design and build is a 97 footer expressly designed to be handled by a couple.

Unfortunately if you're using the midship cleat that might restrict your useable line length to less than 15',

That's OK ....you should only need a few feet unless where you are trying to tie up doesn't have a cleat near your midships....or use an after bow spring.

When single handing I always have my midships spring line looped and returned to the boat.

I never understood all the jumping on to the dock methods. Unless the holding tank is full.

That's OK ....you should only need a few feet unless where you are trying to tie up doesn't have a cleat near your midships....or use an after bow spring.

That's why a 15' line does not exist on my boat. But I should say it is a 44' boat. Line lengths are all relative to the size of the boat.

A 100 foot line can be secured in such a way as only a short length could go overboard and not foul the prop...that's FF contention and I'm sure most peoples understanding...not sure why or how you can really argue that?????

A 100 foot line can be secured in such a way as only a short length could go overboard and not foul the prop...that's FF contention and I'm sure most peoples understanding...not sure why or how you can really argue that?????

I'm not sure that's what he said but I do agree with your comment above.

I have over 4,000 hours of solo cruising hours on my 48' DeFever. It has a bow thruster and I have no problems handling it anywhere; with twin screws the thruster is rarely used but is very helpful when anchoring out or mooring and in tight spaces at docks. Walkways on port and starboard are a must and I would highly recommend a thruster if you get a sizable boat and spring for the inexpensive wireless remote pendant for the windlass/thruster if going solo, it sure comes in handy when alone on the bow.

I have over 4,000 hours of solo cruising hours on my 48' DeFever. It has a bow thruster and I have no problems handling it anywhere; with twin screws the thruster is rarely used but is very helpful when anchoring out or mooring and in tight spaces at docks. Walkways on port and starboard are a must and I would highly recommend a thruster if you get a sizable boat and spring for the inexpensive wireless remote pendant for the windlass/thruster if going solo, it sure comes in handy when alone on the bow.

Twins and a thruster is like having 2 extra deckhands on board..:thumb:

If I can't whip my crew into shape...a thruster is sounding better all the time.:D

Like I said, I don't use it much but when I need it I'm glad I spent the $9k to have it installed!

We have a single screw with bow and stern thrusters, it's like having twin engines. Don't know what we would do without them.

Attachments

• image-2825697025.jpg
    image-2825697025.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2336813776.jpg
    image-2336813776.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 83
This information is from 2008. Wellington Canal lock will not allow a single handed cruiser through. Actually on the upbound (?) trip three people on board is required.

Marty

This information is from 2008. Wellington Canal lock will not allow a single handed cruiser through. Actually on the upbound (?) trip three people on board is required. Marty

Did you mean the Welland canal?

We had a Hat 53 MY with twin Cummns for 9 years. It was actually not bad to single hand. We now have a 34' Mainship II, which is single with no thruster, and naturally harder to single hand. Since having the two experiences, I agree that the heavier boat is actually easier to single hand.

Once exception is a 27' Albin Family Cruiser I had for a few years. That boat handled like a dream with its small single diesel and no thruster. I did a single hand trip of 600 miles on the Mississippi and Arkansas Rivers (8 locks) with no problems. There is always an exception.

heavier boat is actually easier to single.
Couldn't agree more, had to move the boat into a bigger slip a couple weeks ago and It was blowing, our boat coming close to the 100,000lb mark didn't move even with its high windage, even though I wasn't single handing and had two other people on the boat, I feel confidently I could of done it single handed as long as there was someone on the dock ready to catch lines. Also for people that have Vertical Capstan windlasses, i would dis-engage the clutch before coming to the dock. it's handy when man power won't do the job, just a few raps around the capstan and some clicks of foot buttons, viola!

Couldn't agree more, had to move the boat into a bigger slip a couple weeks ago and It was blowing, our boat coming close to the 100,000lb mark didn't move even with its high windage, even though I wasn't single handing and had two other people on the boat, I feel confidently I could of done it single handed as long as there was someone on the dock ready to catch lines. Also for people that have Vertical Capstan windlasses, i would dis-engage the clutch before coming to the dock. it's handy when man power won't do the job, just a few raps around the capstan and some clicks of foot buttons, viola!

You (and others) are right on the mark. Our current boast is much easier to dock than our trailer boats were.

Except in a very serious cross wind one person can easily handle the boat. Even in a pretty stiff wind I can do it myself using the mid cleat located just outside the pilothouse door.

It's all do-able with preparedness and practice. My smaller lightweight boat gets twisted around by the wind a fair bit, but I am starting to know what to expect and when, and can compensate for it.
With a strong wind from an unusual direction, I often have a dummy run prior to docking, and pull into a big empty single berth facing the same direction as my double berth to check the wind effect without bouncing off my next door neighbour.

I have become much more confident in my boat handling by taking this approach, rather than just saying "It's too windy, - we'll leave her tied up at the dock".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom