Cold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
It’s sooo cold! It got down to 11 degrees this morning. I guess the “South” part of South Carolina is a relative term. Supposed to be even colder tonight.

Comparatively though, I see the folks in the north are dealing with -30/40 degree temps with ice and snow. Those “lake effect” conditions are killers. This boat is in Traverse City, Michigan.
I lived in Maine for a while and never had temps like that, even the winter of 78/79.

I hope everyone is safe and warm and that your boats and families are all safe too. KJ

1429-albums194-picture980.jpg

Tis a balmy 12F here Downeast tonight. It was 50F two days ago.

Happy new year kj. It is a fridge 62 here now but will be 80 by weeks end

38 (feels like 30!) here.
Supposed to warm up pretty quickly after tomorrow though, and by Friday, back into the 80's !:dance:

The thermometer outside my window says - 41C (whats that in Farenheit ?). I just took the dog for a walk, all of 50metres (whats that in yards). His pee froze as it hit the ground. Even in Canada this sucks !

The weather really cold here in Dania, 59 degrees, I can't manage. Hiding in the house till it gets back to the usual 80's. :p :D :rofl::rofl::lol:

That does sound cold. Brass boy monkeys out hunting for a welder weather? Ok, a brazer.

Hey Oliver, let's go to the beach and show these guys what they're missing.
I finally turned the air conditioner off last night.

In the teens two nights in a row in North Carolina. Checked yesterday that my bilge and cabin heaters are working well.

Happy new year kj. It is a fridge 62 here now but will be 80 by weeks end

Hey Michael, how the heck are ya?

It got all the way up to 46 today. Sunny blue skies. The air was so clean you could smell the ocean from the boat. I actually sat out on the sundeck for a while.

Went to the movies this afternoon to see 47 Ronin. Not too bad. Not as bad as the reviews. Keanu Reeves still can't act.

The water main to the marina bar/restaurant ruptured from the cold last night. They're still working on it. Fortunately, the boat tolerates the cold much better than her skipper. I keep the main cabin heater on 24 hours. I’m hoping to turn it off over the weekend. The temps are supposed to get into the low 70’s. I let the water run from all the faucet’s every once in a while and run the engines for about 20 minutes.

I'm gonna get the boat set up so that I can get outta here in a hurry when the next extended Polar Vortex hits. I can be in the Fla Keys in about 14 hours (driving). I’ll probably stay at the same dive (dive) resort that I stayed at a couple of years ago. There’s a table at the Tiki bar there with my name carved on it.

Wish I was there now. KJ

1429-albums194-picture988.jpg

Last edited:
Hi ken
happy 2014. Spent last week in key Largo. Back in hollywood now. Everything is good. How is the family? I guess if you knew this winter would be like this you would have comen south. ??

The family is good. The boat is good. The winter sucks, although it’s getting pretty heated up here on my laptop watching the soft core ads on the Forum Headers. Does anyone else get this stuff? I guess that’s what I get for going to Hooters a couple of years ago. KJ

It is so cold here in California I am actually considering purchasing a sweater :)
Oh lord no! :nonono::lol: We just had to break out the long sleeve shirts. :(

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
the thermometer outside my window says - 41c (whats that in farenheit ?)
-41f
__

So that's the conversion point between Fahrenheit and Celsius, that is seriously cold.

Warning; thread hijack.

Why is it in the US you use a metric system for your currency, however with measurements of distance, weights and volume you use an imperial system?

Last edited:
Warning; thread hijack.

Why is it in the US you use a metric system for your currency, however with measurements of distance, weights and volume you use an imperial system?

To answer the hijack.

In the late 1970's there was momentum in the USA to implement the metric system, I wish it had succeeded. It failed for a number of reasons, many of which would make a good discussion for OTDE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
the thermometer outside my window says - 41c (whats that in farenheit ?)
-41f
__

So that's the conversion point between Fahrenheit and Celsius, that is seriously cold.

The convergence is actually -40, but close enough.

Here in Stuart FL, where we spend the winter escaping the cold of CT, the temp dropped into the upper 40s, lower 50s two nights ago. I heard on TV that shelters were opened so folks could escape the cold. I am still trying to get up from the floor and to stop laughing my a-- off. We liveaboard and barely used the heat more than a few hours.

In pre-summer Alaska, one can avoid mosquitoes. I hate biting insects!

232323232%7Ffp635%3A3%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3832999%3B97336nu0mrj

I spend half my life in the cold in northern Alberta; the other half I spend in relative warmth in Powell River, BC. I sympathize with those who have experienced minus 40.

MarkPierce

Don't think that's Alaska. Paint scheme is wrong and while our cars are old, they aren't that old.

Tom

MarkPierce

Don't think that's Alaska. Paint scheme is wrong and while our cars are old, they aren't that old.

It doesn't seem you've been to Skagway. The train is on its way north to White Pass and beyond.

http://www.wpyr.com/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom