View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #4
Northern Spy
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Play around with the screws behind the back cover. It worked for me on my parent's boat many years ago. This was before the ubiquity of the internet, but I saw the screws and played with them, and voila it worked.

Here is the official version:

I have a dual trumpet electric horn that doesn’t want to sound. It just makes a clicking/chirping sound. What can I do?

Posted on June 21, 2012 by Shad Technical Service Representative

We suggest bench-testing the horn and wiring it directly to a 12 volt battery. If it works fine when doing this, then the problem is most likely within the application’s wiring. If the horn still only puts out a clicking sound, that is usually a symptom of one side trying to draw more amps than the other which causes them to cancel each other out. Remove the rear cover and find the screw in the center of the sounding mechanism with a small red dot on or next to it. Turn that screw a little bit counter clockwise and eventually the horn should start to sound properly. If not, keep trying each side, back and forth, counter-clockwise or clockwise. If still no positive reaction after all that, it’s time to replace the horn.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote