New owners of a Manatee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaylic

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
KASSIE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen Manatee
Well, it is one week now that we are living aboard our new to us Manatee. We are spending the winter in Ego Alley, Annapolis. Our sailboat is one slip over as we swap out our possessions and ready her for sale. Very strange, mixed emotions, can't help but feel like our sailboat feels betrayed. But, we can move around, see outside etc. never knew this above the waterline life was so nice. Just wanted to thank everyone for the valuable information, especially Larry on Bucky!
Wishing all the happiest, healthiest New Year!
Bob and Kathy
"Kassie"

Welcome aboard. I know very well the mixed emotions from moving from a sailboat to the trawler. Been there, done that. Sailboats have more of a soul. (Probably get some flames for that, but I'm tough and can handle them. I think. We have some certified Flamemasters on this forum. :)

Well, it is one week now that we are living aboard our new to us Manatee. We are spending the winter in Ego Alley, Annapolis. Our sailboat is one slip over as we swap out our possessions and ready her for sale. Very strange, mixed emotions, can't help but feel like our sailboat feels betrayed. But, we can move around, see outside etc. never knew this above the waterline life was so nice. Just wanted to thank everyone for the valuable information, especially Larry on Bucky! Wishing all the happiest, healthiest New Year! Bob and Kathy "Kassie"
Welcome aboard! I wish you both the best with your new Manatee and crossing over to the dark side. :D :thumb: Happy New Years!

Congrats from another Manatee owner, albeit one stuck in the middle of the TX desert. What was your KK36 previous name & her new one?

Welcome in from the cold! Now you'll get to experience comfort boating and enjoy the scenery at the same time. Turn up the heater, grab a drink and relax!

Just think...no more TP in the trash cans, no more leaning sideways while underway, no more gimbaled stoves, no more ridiculously oversized helm wheels, no more banging your head on the boom when you turn the boat, no more need to brave the weather b/c it's your turn to take the helm! The life of a Trawler Tramp is a good one!

Now that you're a member of the club, you're sworn to secrecy. Don't spill the beans with your sailing friends!

Wow, what a great Christmas present and a great way to begin a new year. Don't worry about your blow boat......she has brought you to this point in your life and now is ready to assume the same duties for the next grateful owner. Meanwhile, I'd bet your Manatee is happy too. Tell us how you find the two-stateroom arrangement. There's at least one other forum member that might be interested in that layout. Congrats on your new vessel.

Congrats! We love pics:)

Welcome aboard. The Manatees are one of the most loved liveaboard boats of all time. What hull number do you have?

Marty

We are #93, built in 1990, last two stateroom made. We love the layout, we initially wanted single stateroom but with company and just having the extra spare room as an office is perfect. Will attach pictures when we are a bit less busy. Tough emptying out the sailboat, cleaning it and winterizing it all while learning the systems on this one. We are using electric heaters, anybody with real world experience able to recommend good units. We are using two 1500 watt ceramic heaters. They are working but I'm a little nervous about the deep freeze they are predicting next few days. Just ordered a Lasko heater that consumers reports highly rated, hope that is the solution. Anyway, Happy New Year and thanks for the warm welcome.
Bob

Congrat on new boat, and nice that you scored a slip in the Annapolis Harbor! How are they handling pump-out service over this winter?

-Chris

The pump out boat is out of commission till next week, otherwise they come on Saturdays

Bob and Kathy, welcome, wheres the pictures?

The pump out boat is out of commission till next week, otherwise they come on Saturdays

Nice. Enjoy the harbor; seems like a nice place to be over winter. Assuming you can survive the party noises :)

-Chris

Here are some photos of our new Manatee in Annapolis....baby it's cold outside.
Bob

Attachments

• image-1330386126.jpg
    image-1330386126.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 155
  • image-1493895991.jpg
    image-1493895991.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 156
Bob

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

And probably not anywhere near as cold as it is going to get. My understanding is that Monday and Tuesday is going to be the rough period. Condolences from (Northern) Florida.

Welcome Bob and Kathy, we have owned our Manatee going on seven years, I'd offer to answer any questions about Manatee's but as we know "when you have seen one you've seen one". Great looking though, stay warm and you will find the TF can answer any questions and then some.

Bob

The second photo says it all.

We're powerboaters all the way. We like sailboats but only if we're just passengers and someone else is doing all the work. Hope you love your new boat. For many sailors there just comes that time in life in which the move makes sense. I think some resist simply because they will like traitors to the sailing community.

You'll be amazed that you'll learn your Manatee has a soul. Soul comes as you use it, as it becomes a home to you. Just like the difference between a house and home.

Well, Kaylic.....The second photo also reveals that you've managed to stock your new boat with plenty of warming libation.

Just wanted to again thank everyone for the warm welcome...God knows we could all use some warmth right now. 6 more inches of snow!!! forcasted. We've been on the boat now almost 2 months, it's been too cold to explore all the nooks and crannies of this beauty. Too cold to go outside for long. Just realized there's an upper deck to this Manatee, that's how long we've been "confined."
Warm regards
Bob and Kathy

Even though there is snow outside it's looks like from the second photo it's warm inside. What type of heat are you using thru this cold weather ? We bought a Duraflame quartz type heater with a fireplace display and are very happy with it, that plus Blackberry brandy will always take the chill off. I like your navy blue weather clothes around the boat deck. They look porous and hopefully won't add to the sail area, maybe latter you can update us fellow Manatee owners on there effect when the winds up.
Bill
KK3669

Last edited:
Did any of you take a look at that Krogen Silhouette down in Chesapeake City? I've always liked that model too. Just curious it's condition, as it's price is attractive. They're rare for sure, but man are they spacious inside.

Did any of you take a look at that Krogen Silhouette down in Chesapeake City? I've always liked that model too. Just curious it's condition, as it's price is attractive. They're rare for sure, but man are they spacious inside.

Ya know, I like that boat too, especially how the master stateroom opens to a very romantic cockpit, but whenever I look at the layout photos, I really don't see much storage. Of course, it's a different boat for a different application, but everything I look at I tend to view its potential as a live-aboard. I need storage too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom