Vessel Assist or C-Tow BC Coastal Waters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hobbystuff

Vessel Name
Waves of Grace
Vessel Make
Universal 36
Any Canadian boaters in the BC coastal area that can make any recommendations or have experience with Vessel Assist (available through West Marine/Boat US) or C-Tow Marine Assistance?

We used to be sailors so we never worried about our ability to get home or sail out of trouble if the engine quit. Now that we have a single engine trawler we take great pains to keep the engine and fuel systems in good shape, but one never knows if something is going to fail.

A recent example was an alternator that self-combusted in a magnificent display of smoke and sparks (it was internally regulated and just kept going - we installed a new externally regulated unit with a temp sensor and got a spare). I was able to shut her down and put on the spare since the water was calm and tides negligible - but if that had happened in bad weather my options would have been limited.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm in Victoria and use Boat US through my westmarine account. Only had to use them once but was happy with the service.

Related question ... I boat in the USA/CAN border waters and wonder if country specific service like Boater Assist (CAN) and TowBoatUS (USA) can render a paid for assistance across the border ... do they have work visas/permits to do that?

C-Tow ! . BC based.

Be very care-full on this coast ( BC ) when in need of professional assistance. That's when C-tow comes in to play working as a very good dispatcher working for you.

C-Tow 100 % from my experience. I am not affiliated no connection don't even sign up for service.

I had a great experience with C-Tpw a couple years ago when the engine quit off of Merry Island. The coast guard arranged for them to tow me in, which
they did very safely and professionally. They were covered by my insurance policy otherwise I'd sign up with them In a heartbeat.

At about 200.00/year Each, I have both sea tow and boatus. Just recently I blew my starboard engine and while I made it in to my marina, they would not tow to the main local repair yard. They thought the local marina could handle pulling the engine out of the boat with just a forklift. I called boatus and they towed me as soon as weather broke. Boat is now under repairs at the correct facility. Both companies are good but when on the loop each has their stronger areas of coverage. Two is better than one.

Back
Top Bottom