Power Tool Safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPseudonym

Moderator Emeritus
In addition to RickB's excellent thread warning about the safety concerns about vapors in confined spaces like boats.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/vapors-13122.html

Boaters tackling winter/spring projects will be using power tools they may not normally use. Here are some basics to get you started.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safety_haz/abrasive_wheels/safeuse1.html

Read, understand and follow the operating instructions that came with your power tools and do not cut corners when it comes to safety. Take the time to familiarize yourself with how the equipment works in the comfort of an open area before using it in a confined area. Below are a couple of examples of why grinder safety is particularly important.

Attachments

• image-1472529078.jpg
    image-1472529078.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 221
  • image-904444675.jpg
    image-904444675.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: Art
OUCH! DYAM that looks like they would hurt.

Good reminder Craig!

Very nasty. And we are seeing you stitched back together! Hope you avoided nerve/tendon injury. A timely, if painful, warning reminder indeed.

Very nasty. And we are seeing you stitched back together! Hope you avoided nerve/tendon injury. A timely, if painful, warning reminder indeed.

Sorry for the confusion Bruce but those are not photographs of me.

Today I was at the local welding supply shop and saw a particularly awful photo of a gentleman with half a grinding disc impaled in his cheek laying in an emergency room bed. That photo was far more graphic than these. As it also had the manufacturers name in full focus I decided it would be unfair to post it.

Remembering Rick's timely reminder on fume hazards I thought it prudent to post a power tool warning. Too many people get injured using power tools incorrectly when basic safety precautions(if followed) could have saved them much pain or worse.

You are supposed to run a new grinder wheel at max rpm for a solid minute before you use it for the first time... And don't stand behind it.

Die grinders and circular saws deserve extra respect. Stay out of the plane of rotation and always wear a face shield. Use a grip of iron and be the boss of that tool at all times.
Grinding wheels fly apart when they are used impatiently, you have to take smaller bites when cutting. Other times they just get away from inexperienced users.
That guy learned his lesson, wow.

Also... and, in addition to being carefully patient while grinding with real good safety goggles and a clear full frontal flip mask on: I recommend wearing heavy leather, high cuff gloves whenever possible while using high speed portable grinders and to purchase top quality grinders as well as top quality disks for any type grinding need. Although in one form or another I've worked with and been friends with power tools my whole life... 20 years ago I got in a rush with cheap equipment and paid the price as a small disk disintegrated at over 10K rpm. It happened quick as a gun shot. Already made my mistake. Nuff said, and, Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom