Columbia Bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And we could follow. Think of us poor TF members with nothing to do....Get a Spot too....

Maybe by then someone will dig a canal from Olympia to Longview? It seems that would be wonderful for pleasure boaters and allow direct access from the Columbia River to Puget Sound. It looks like the Cowlitz River is already a start, maybe just a little extension? I realize that there's probably no commercial rationale for such a project, but, it would be nice...

No! No! No! You can't have it. The East Coast has the ICW. The PNW has Puget Sound, all the islands, the inside passage to Alaska, snow capped mountains, whales, seals, sea otters, great fishing, and crabbing. Now you want an intracoastal waterway. It simply would not be fair.:D:hide:

Well when we have the big quake they've forecast and the San Andres fault separates California from the mainland, we'll have that Western ICW alright. LOL :eek:

(Unfortunately the fault line runs off shore and not under the Olympia Capital dome. We could afford to lose a few of the politicians there.) :hide:

No! No! No! You can't have it. The East Coast has the ICW. The PNW has Puget Sound, all the islands, the inside passage to Alaska, snow capped mountains, whales, seals, sea otters, great fishing, and crabbing. Now you want an intracoastal waterway. It simply would not be fair.:D:hide:
YES YES YES, y'all will have to come over here if you want an ICW! :D

Well, it can't hurt to wish for a little canal.... I did some rummaging around the internet, and found a book referencing an old report from the early 1930's, a feasibility study of just such a canal, to connect the Columbia River with Puget Sound(!). Obviously it was never built, I imagine it couldn't be financially justified, especially in the depression. I guess the savings of a couple of days transit for commercial traffic going between Portland and Seattle can't justify the expense and effort (but it would still be nice to avoid having to go over the Bar....).

There was talk of the rout from the Columbia to Puget Sound during WWII. If the war would have lasted a year or two more it may have been built. It would take a hundred years to get the permit now.

Fred P...............

A couple of years ago I crewed for a skipper returning a 65ft Fedship to Portland. 10 to 12 foot seas all the way and when we got near the bar I was anxious for the experience and concerned not knowing what to expect . Big waves to left, big waves to the right but nothing to speak of on our course. After awhile the skipper says " how did you like the crossing". I was a little let down it was a total non event. Do the home work, plan for the tides and have a nice trip. Nice boat by the way.

Thanks a lot..... now I'm really depressed, and intimidated.....

It's fascinating to watch, but it would be much more interesting if we didn't have to face this if we ever want to leave the Columbia River. I have a lot of respect for anyone who goes over that bar...

Thanks a lot..... now I'm really depressed, and intimidated.....

Just remember that the millions of boaters who were there on the nice days didn't think there was anything worth recording.

There is a sport salmon fishery at Buoy 10 that attracts gaggles of little outboard boats every season and literally thousands of sports fishermen and women and children spend most of the day bobbing around.

I worked for months on a dredge crossing that bar several times a day and never found much in the way of seas worth photographing. It is a dog with a bad reputation for barking but a prudent mariner is highly unlikely to get bit.

Salmon University fishing the ocean off Ilwaco

Here is a CG pic of a typical day on the bar during the salmon run.

Attachments

• B10-1.jpg
    B10-1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 84
Thank you Rick, I'm much more hopeful now about being able to get across without incurring the wrath of Neptune (or my wife, which would be much worse).

Last edited:
Thank you Rick, I'm much more hopeful now about being able to get across without incurring the wrath of Neptune (or my wife, which would be much worse).

You must not of been boating for long... I regularly experience the wrath of the Admiral... foul weather does up the volume though..

Treated with respect the Columbia Bar (and the Admiral for that matter) are a non issue.. ok the bar is a non issue...

HOLLYWOOD

:whistling:

Nick, don't let the bar scare you. Thousands of boats (many much smaller than yours) cross the bar every year without incident. It's all a matter of making sure the tides are right.

Or, let is scare you and make your trips UPRIVER to our area and get some terrific boating.

Nick, don't let the bar scare you. Thousands of boats (many much smaller than yours) cross the bar every year without incident. It's all a matter of making sure the tides are right.

Or, let is scare you and make your trips UPRIVER to our area and get some terrific boating.

I have never crossed the Columbia River bar, but I have seen it on a fairly calm day. I have been to Astoria and down the beach by Cannon Beach and Tillamook. The bars down that way are scary as hell. I have crossed many bars on the East Coast, and I can tell you that I am scared of every one. I like to time the crossings for the best conditions, but that is not always possible. Most any bar can be treacherous, and they all deserve respect.

Reactions: Art
I have never crossed the Columbia River bar, but I have seen it on a fairly calm day. I have been to Astoria and down the beach by Cannon Beach and Tillamook. The bars down that way are scary as hell. I have crossed many bars on the East Coast, and I can tell you that I am scared of every one. I like to time the crossings for the best conditions, but that is not always possible. Most any bar can be treacherous, and they all deserve respect.

EXACTLY! :thumb:

I've been boating for 43 years (scary to think I'm now that old), 30 of those with my 'Admiral'. All of it has been on the east coast. I've run many inlets here, but they've never bothered me (outside of needing the necessary planning for tide and weather, and vigilance and prudence in crossing). I guess it's what's 'familiar' - I know the east coast so it doesn't concern me. The Columbia Bar has this legendary reputation, 'Cape Disappointment' and the 'graveyard of the Pacific' and all that, which sounds ominous to this east coast guy.

I also try to be sensitive to my 'Admiral', whose tolerance for Neptune's wrath is much lower than mine (what to me is just a little blustery, has her strapping on a life jacket and unleashing all sorts of colorful language). My Admiral has always supported my boating affliction, and actually talked me into buying a larger and more expensive boat than I was comfortable with, because she knew I really wanted it. I'm going to plan and time our first Columbia Bar crossing very carefully, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Try entering Block Island inlet in a well powered single screw Perkins diesel, 38', wooden, raised deck, convertible sport fisher (built like a tank in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, 1951; always well cared for by dad and me!) at dusk on strong ebb tide with unexpected squall occurring... damn near took the life of three in my family; that was 1971... before weather predictions became quite accurate. Dad made an error in judgment/calcs and the bad weather had not been predicted. We’d visited Block Island for many years. After that experience mom spoke nary a word as the 4 week cruise was cut very short and dad soon (after some boat repairs at the Island due to storm’s wave damage) headed back to home port. Upon docking Dad’s admiral said: Sell it... I’m never stepping foot on this boat again, you almost killed us! :eek:

He sold it – bought a Cessna and started a successful marine aerial photography business. He’d been a “Photo Freddie” bomb site reconnaissance pilot in British Spitfire aircraft for RCAF before U.S. joined into WWII. Then he joined U.S. Navy and flew transports for wounded U.S. troops. Ohhh the stories he let me in on as we worked together on boats during winters under canvas covers... getting them ready for New England boating season(s)!

That Block Island disaster was the only notable error in marine activities I’d seen dad have happen in decades of boating with him. He was truly cautions and an accurate navigator as well as one hell of a good pilot for boats and planes during WWII and in his latter years. God Bless ya Dad!!

Again I caution: “When You Least Expect It... Expect IT!” Especially concerning marine conditions.

Just sayen! :popcorn:

You're absolutely right, which is why we all always have to be careful and vigilant. Murphy's Law especially applies to boating - whatever can go wrong, will go wrong, and at the worst possible time, and will go wrong in ways that cause the most possible havoc.

You can't be in a rush to cross the bar. Patience and timing is everything...

You can't be in a rush to cross the bar. Patience and timing is everything...

probably along the same thought...avoidance can be the best decision...nothing usually says "you have to enter this inlet" except a bad decision.

No rush here to cross the Columbia Bar. I envision a nice stay in Astoria, as long as it takes, to wait for a safe and smooth crossing. One experience like Art's father had with his Admiral, and my Admiral will have us out of boating in a heartbeat.

No rush here to cross the Columbia Bar. I envision a nice stay in Astoria, as long as it takes, to wait for a safe and smooth crossing. One experience like Art's father had with his Admiral, and my Admiral will have us out of boating in a heartbeat.

So I assume your concern with the bar is in regard to a trip up the Washington coast to Puget Sound and points North?

No other reason to cross the bar ( other than fishing) that I can think of.

HOLLYWOOD

Yes, we're moving to Portland and will keep our boat there. I'm hoping to get to Puget Sound, though we'll probably only take one trip a year and spend some time there, so we'll have flexibility in timing.

Though, the first time we cross the bar will be when we're bringing the boat to Portland (via Victoria), and we won't have Astoria to hide out in waiting for good conditions...

You can hide out on the way south by holing up in Neah Bay or Port Angeles and make your run down the coast. Neah Bay has ZERO to offer except cheap fuel (be sure to fuel up there before you head around). Port Angeles is about 60 miles from Neah Bay, but if you have a few day weather window to make your run down the coast you could hang out at Port Angeles and slide up to Neah Bay the night before you take off.

There are several of us in the Portland Vancouver area that keep our boats on the Puget Sound waters and some that run up and back once a year.

Fred P..............

probably along the same thought...avoidance can be the best decision...nothing usually says "you have to enter this inlet" except a bad decision.

Very true.:thumb:
If you're uncomfortable, and you're not getting paid to do it, find another way. This is supposed to be fun, remember:D

TUpon docking Dad’s admiral said: Sell it... I’m never stepping foot on this boat again, you almost killed us! :eek:

He sold it – bought a Cessna and started a successful marine aerial photography business.

Block Island disaster was the only notable error in marine activities I’d seen dad have happen in decades of boating with him. He was truly cautions and an accurate navigator as well as one hell of a good pilot for boats and planes during WWII and in his latter years. God Bless ya Dad!!

Art, Your dad sounds like he was a heck of a guy! I always consider it an honor and a privilege to meet someone of his caliber. They are becoming few and far between anymore:(.

And please, no disrespect intended, but in reading this it seems the point the Admiral missed is:[QUOTE] you almost killed us! [/QUOTE], he didn't. Nobody died.

He (apparently) dealt with it the situation bravely and competently, and brought everyone home. There's something to be said for that.:thumb::thumb:.

IMHO, life is about lessons. If we live through the course of instruction, then we're ahead of the game.:D

It's funny, but having flown and boated, and I love them both, I'll take the boats...much less distance to the ground:lol:

Again I caution: “When You Least Expect It... Expect IT!” Especially concerning marine conditions.

yes sir! The water, and ma nature in general, can be a cruel and unforgiving beotch at time. Always treat her with respect!

You must not of been boating for long... I regularly experience the wrath of the Admiral... foul weather does up the volume though..

Treated with respect the Columbia Bar (and the Admiral for that matter) are a non issue.. ok the bar is a non issue...

:lol::lol:

Last edited:
Art, Your dad sounds like he was a heck of a guy! I always consider it an honor and a privilege to meet someone of his caliber. They are becoming few and far between anymore:(.

And please, no disrespect intended, but in reading this it seems the point the Admiral missed is:[QUOTE] you almost killed us!
, he didn't. Nobody died.

He (apparently) dealt with it the situation bravely and competently, and brought everyone home. There's something to be said for that.:thumb::thumb:.

[/QUOTE]

OD - TY for kind words about my pop. He was unique! :thumb: As he'd often mention: "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing!" WWII jargon for sure! :socool:

Art,

I'd definitely have to agree with your pop:thumb:
Same thing my flight instructors told me decades ago.

I don't care if the wheels are flat, the gear is broken and the wings are folded, if I can walk away from it, it's a "good landing":D

Wish we could thank your pop for his service:Thanx:

Didn't mean to derail...back on topic:thumb:

OD

I'd like to welcome you to the Portland area, I keep my boat here and travel to the cruising grounds of Puget Sound and Canada in the summer. One advantage of mooring here is being in fresh water, and there is a bit of cruising here, although nothing like the Salish sea.
You've gotten lot of advice on the bar, I would add that I like to cross the bar at low slack current, particularly going out. The bar can develop waves and at time breakers on a strong ebb with opposing wind, and on strong exchanges, the flood can be 6-7 knots, so going at slack water just after the low is a good option.
Returning from up north, I try to time my departure after an overnight at Neah Bay to arrive on the bar at the start of the flood. That's a 14 hour run for me. I've also done a night time run down the Straits of Juan de Fuca from Port Angeles, timed to go through hole in the wall at Tattoosh at daybreak (20 hours for me). I like the fuel and services at Port Angeles, prices are usually as good or better than at my home club.

For those of you/us who cruise in the PNW (U.S. and Canadian waters), here's a link to a fuel price survey that is done every week. It's a good way to save a lot on fuel costs as we're enjoying what we do for fun....
FineEdge.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom