The Vapors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickB

Guru
Vessel Make
CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
'Tis the season for working inside the boat. In most cases, the boat is a tightly sealed boat with minimum ventilation and that can create conditions that might not be a problem in the summer but this time of the year can be hazardous.

Fumes from painting or cleaning solvents may collect in concentrations high enough to create the risk of a fire or even explosion if an ignition source is present. Simply pulling the trigger on an electric drill or flipping a light switch might lead to more than a bad memory.

If you are thinking about using any solvent or fuel fired heating device, take a look at the table linked below to find a clue as to the best type of ventilation to provide, i.e. a high level vent for lighter than air fumes such as natural gas, or vent ducts in the bilge for heavier fumes such as propane or most hydrocarbon solvents.

Gases - Specific Gravities

'Tis the season for working inside the boat. In most cases, the boat is a tightly sealed boat with minimum ventilation and that can create conditions that might not be a problem in the summer but this time of the year can be hazardous.

Fumes from painting or cleaning solvents may collect in concentrations high enough to create the risk of a fire or even explosion if an ignition source is present. Simply pulling the trigger on an electric drill or flipping a light switch might lead to more than a bad memory.

If you are thinking about using any solvent or fuel fired heating device, take a look at the table linked below to find a clue as to the best type of ventilation to provide, i.e. a high level vent for lighter than air fumes such as natural gas, or vent ducts in the bilge for heavier fumes such as propane or most hydrocarbon solvents.

Gases - Specific Gravities

Rick,
great reminder as it is the season for " inside" jobs.

HOLLYWOOD

Thanks, and don't forget, many fumes are asphyxiation or health hazards rather than or in addition to the combustibility issues.

Good reminder - thanks!

Don't forget eye protection.

Thanks, and don't forget, many fumes are asphyxiation or health hazards rather than or in addition to the combustibility issues.

I spent a year battling some major neurological and muscle issues that appeared to have been a direct result of sulfide gas poisoning from equalizing the house bank on Volunteer while aboard... I didn't want to leave the boat unattended if a battery decided to go into fusion mode.

I had windows, doors open and ER fan and head fans all going full blast and still had issues.. so be careful as Rick warns!

HOLLYWOOD

I spent a year battling some major neurological and muscle issues that appeared to have been a direct result of sulfide gas poisoning from equalizing the house bank on Volunteer while aboard... I didn't want to leave the boat unattended if a battery decided to go into fusion mode. I had windows, doors open and ER fan and head fans all going full blast and still had issues.. so be careful as Rick warns! HOLLYWOOD
Did you switch to AGM's since their sealed?

Did you switch to AGM's since their sealed?

No, but I gained great respect for what off gassing can do!. on my current Ocean Alexander I have lead acid batteries but that will probably change soon.
Hollywood

No, but I gained great respect for what off gassing can do!. on my current Ocean Alexander I have lead acid batteries but that will probably change soon. Hollywood
Glad you're ok, one (atleast me) never think of that hurting you it goes to show what were not aware of sometimes.

Rick - THANKS!

Is there a need to periodically inspect AGM batteries? And if so, check for what?

I`ve heard suggested that with wet lead acid batteries solar charging, a small constant running exhaust fan, like a computer fan, is an idea. Equalization is a form of charging. Maybe the fan could run off the bilge pump circuit, or is that a no-no.
Also, I understand some gases quickly affect the sense of smell, producing anosmia, destroying appreciation the offending gas is still present, thus prolonging exposure. (A serious subject so I avoided the obvious how that might be good with some "gases".)

I`ve heard suggested that with wet lead acid batteries solar charging,

Solar charging , even with a half dozen big panels that little of gassing results.

Charging with a cruising 250A DC alternator might be different .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom