View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
N4061
Guru

RE: Trawler or Condo for my ex?

While I can not speak to the divorce and emotional ride you may be on I can talk speak a*little to the*live aboard question.* I was 45 when my wife and I decided to buy our first trawler and use it more as a liveaboard*in San Diego.* My job transfer allowed us to average about 3 nights a week on aboard and we loved every minute of.* Five years later,*we just sold our second boat and find ourselves debating if we jump back into the real estate market to make some money until I retire in ten years or live life for today and buy our third trawler.* While I agree with others that a boat is not a good investment, some will hold thier value better than others.* We sold our first Nordhavn for what we paid new 18 months earlier and just completed the sale of second Nordhavn this week with only*8% depreciation*over three years.* Not bad for a boat.**Of course there is monthly cost of ownership that is a complete loss.* Looking back all I can say is if the man upstairs took me tomorrow I could at least say that I lived out my retirement dream (in part) and for that I'm gratefull.* Life is just to short and full of unknowns not do something that you have a passion for.* I think it was Mark Twain that said "20 years from now you will be more disapointed for things you didn't do then for the things*you did".* It makes a lot of sense.* Good Luck.*

John
Former owner of Nordhavn 4050 and 4061.*
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote