View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #50
Sunset

City: Sharbot Lake
Vessel Name: Manatee
Vessel Model: 1976 Albin 25 DeLuxe
OK, first I'll admit that until now I hadn't paid attention to the inlet, other than to notice how corroded it is on the inside. It's currently hidden by shrink wrap. Based on the comments above I have pored through various pics of the boat on my computer and am thankful to now note that there are 4 screws attaching the flange to the outside wall. This realization probably answers my question. A lot of trouble to get to that pretty basic point!

To those who suggests that because I was unfamiliar with how these things are secured to the boat I should pay a professional to plug in a 12A battery charger, I'll remain civil and bite my tongue.

I'll also admit that I have been laboring under the (false?) idea that attaching this charger via a quality extension to the exiting GFCI protected plug in on the dock pedestal, with the charger leads to the batteries fused inline and the case grounded to the engine ground, all in accordance with the instructions, would be appropriate.

The charger is not to be hard wired to the inlet receptacle - it attached by way of the 3-prong plug intrinsic to the unit itself. It has not occurred to me to cut the power cord to insert another breaker there. I doubt anyone would actually do that.

The pic below shows the existing inlet location. I plan to located the charger at/to the cross pieces in front of the holding tank. The charger will be open to the wheelhouse and separated from the battery compartment by the flooring.

If there is something else that should be done I would be eager to hear of it!
Attached Thumbnails
2013-12-26 11.24.04 (2).jpg