Thread: Lubricity Study
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #44
Scraping Paint
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Lubricity Study

Marin wrote:You remind me of Steve D'Antonio in that your only focus is on engines that have warranties, have recent manufacturing and testing data, and so on.*
That is amusing. I got into the engineering part of the yachting world because of my experience and expertise in the operation and maintenance of the vintage diesels*that*were being installed in a modern yacht. My own 65 footer had a medium speed (400 rpm) engine that was built in the late 1930s as well as a couple of GM 71 series*auxilliaries. *Let me know if that is too modern for you.

And it was around 1998 when problems associated with low lubricity of low sulfur diesel fuel began to be understood. It is difficult to understand the present if you don't know the history of the problem. Your Lehman is not a fragile and unique piece of diesel technology that has been abandoned by the youthful chemists of today's oil refiners.

You will have to work a lot harder to find some way to discredit my opinion on the use of aftermarket additives.

If you have data to support damage to Lehman engines by fuel produced since the institution of ASTM D-975 feel free to post it. I for one would be very interested to read the findings.

Considering that the additive most highly touted by your family guru*for those engines has been shown to reduce lubricity, yet the things have not been dying like flies in the past few years should lead you to realise it is*far from naive to think that they are not safe to operate on today's fuel without the additon of mouse milk.

I don't think I have ever seen anyone fight so hard to*defend superstition and an almost religious compulsion to ignore the tribological facts.

What is even more amazing is the continued refusal to*accept that finer tolerances make a modern fuel pump more susceptible to scuffing damage from low lubricity than the relatively loose tolerances of older engines. The finer tolerances of modern engines and the higher loading of parts that require fuel for lubrication make them far more liable to damage from poor lubricity than older engines such as your Lehman.*

Show me the data to support your mythology. Rumors and 12 year old hearsay aren't worth squat. Show the data that proves modern*diesel fuel requires aftermarket additives to protect ancient or modern*diesels.*

-- Edited by RickB on Thursday 1st of April 2010 03:13:46 PM

-- Edited by RickB on Thursday 1st of April 2010 03:15:59 PM
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote