Solenoid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on the amperage draw of the used windlass and the length of your supply cables ( they could add to the amp draw). Some solenoids get their negative source from the mounting bracket, others have a + and -terminal that completes the circuit for the pull in coil. I forgot to check if this one is for "continuous duty". Recommended I would think for an application like a windlass.

You need something with a continuous duty cycle. sometimes hauling up takes quite a while, at 1 ft per second, to haul 350 ft of rode takes, well, 350 seconds, so a continuous dty cycle of 10 to 40 seconds wont cut it.

Intermittent, 50% duty cycle. 10 seconds on.

Might work for some of the crapo bow thrusters with their limited duty cycle , but WRONG for a windlas.

350A is good , as the battery voltage may be dropping as you grind in the ground tackle.

Not sure I understand the continuous vs intermittent duty cycle. Can someone explain?

A solenoid that is used for something like a starting motor is designed to pull in, and be released in say 5-15 seconds when the engine starts. In an application where the solenoid will be pulled in much longer- it must be able to withstand the additional heat I assume. "Continuous Duty". I have seen solenoids that had one set of windings to make a magnetic field to pull in the contactor and a second set of windings designed to hold in the contactor. Maybe CD is someting like this.

If it is larger than the original check the size of the wire. to small a wire can sure get hot.

SD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom