How to define trawlers in listings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Experience here is most (real) commercial trawlers have singles. Part of boat operator learning is watching them dock at the Sydney Fish Markets, single, no thruster, just trawlerman boat handling skills on display.

Cool to watch a good single handler to be sure. I love watching a good boat handler, twin, single, thruster or not. Sometimes just for that, I go to the Ballard Locks to watch the good, the bad and the ugly. I always learn something.

Eric, no matter how much you hate the term "trawler lifestyle" really sums it up best IMO. Brings to mind a slow and easy pace as much as a commercial fish boat dragging nets to me. But then again Monterey Trollers are what I mostly associate a commercial fish boat looking like.

I see a lot of 38-47 foot Bayliner boats in my area and some guys have them up on plane while others poke along slowly. Motor yacht lifestyle and trawler yacht lifestyle all played out on the same model boat?

As to a Camano looking like a trawler, not to me. I'm perhaps the only guy on this forum who dislikes them based on exterior aesthetics alone. But then again why not call them trawlers as many guys call Bayliners trawlers, at least on Yachtworld. All of this from a guy that owns a 25 knot planing hull. :)

In your search, zero in on a manufacture name instead of the word "trawler". We never refer to our boat as a trawler....

Ray, at least you have fishing gear aboard unlike me.

We use the term "trawler" loosely here. It's most any boat with complete living accommodations (eating, sleeping, evacuating).

Define specifically what you want out from a boat and then search for her. It definitely helps to have previous boating experience to know what works for you.

(And I happily travel mostly at six-something knots, and unable to do much more.)

Last edited:
Craig the thing I dislike about the expression "trawler lifestyle" is that it's so silly in that there's no such thing. The inference is that if you have a trawler your lifestyle becomes special. Hogwash. Yo're just a boater like other boaters .. except that you are slow.

Boating isn't a lifestyle Craig .. it's just a hobby.

Eric, too bad you haven't had the opportunity to have a face-to-face conversation with Craig. Doubt you would have meaningful differences of opinions.

232323232%7Ffp7349%3B%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D394959%3C696336nu0mrj

There is a neat computer tool called OneLook Dictionary that I resort to when I want to know what a word means. Through the first 15 definitions the information is pretty much the same; it is the use to which the boat is put which determines whether or not it is a "trawler". A trawler drags a trawl. In the encyclopedia discussions below, there is reference to modern high horsepower trawlers, so engine size isn't necessarily a factor. In none of the definitions is there a reference to hull or speed but the Wikipedia discussion talks about both displacement and other hulls. In reality when talking about recreational boats, what I think we are talking about is whether a boat is a trawler style. I don't recall seeing one or two boats on this site rigged and used as a trawler, but if there are, they are trawlers. I am not sure that an aft cabin boat of any hull shape is a true trawler style boat--where would you put the net? Just say'in World English Dictionary trawler (ˈtrɔːlə) http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html— n 1. a vessel used for trawling 2. a person who trawls Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition 2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009 Cite This Source Encyclopedia trawler fishing vessel that uses a trawl, a conical net that snares fish by being dragged through the water or along the bottom. Trawlers vary according to the method of towing the net. On side trawlers, the trawl is set and hauled over the side with power winches or manually by a large crew. Outrigger trawlers (a type that includes shrimp boats) drag one or two nets from long booms extending from each side. Stern trawlers are powerful vessels that are often built with ramps for hauling heavy catches up the stern onto the working deck. Powered by engines of up to 5,000 horsepower, modern trawlers drag huge nets that must be hauled by rope winches and large net drums or reels. Large trawlers can be floating factories, cleaning and freezing the fish for processing ashore. Here's what Wikipedia says Recreational trawler From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Trawler (boat)) Jump to: navigation, search For the fishing boat, see fishing trawler. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cruising_trawler.jpg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cruising_trawler.jpg Kadey-Krogen 42' cruising trawler Recreational trawlers are pleasure boats which resemble fishing trawlers. They can also be called cruising trawlers or trawler yachts. Within the category, however, are many types and styles of vessels. A fishing trawler for example, always has a displacement hull for load-carrying capacity. Recreational trawlers, on the other hand, are as likely to have a semi-displacement hull. However, with the rising cost of fuel and the lower fuel consumption (though also lower speed) offered by displacement hulls, they are gaining popularity among some buyers. These displacement models typically have a cruising speed of 7-9 knots depending on the boat length. Their maximum speed is often no more than 10-12 knots, whereas semi-displacement hulls can attain 14-20 knots. Details[edit] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nordhavn47c.jpg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nordhavn47c.jpg Nordhavn 47 foot Yacht underway http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:North_Pacific_43.jpg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:North_Pacific_43.jpg North Pacific 43 ft. Pilothouse trawler yacht Recreational trawlers are also subject to fashion. For example many USA production recreational trawlers have a style which includes features such as a raised pilothouse or offset deckhouse. A popular feature is a "portuguese bridge" which consists of a walkway behind the foredeck, in front and to the sides of, the pilothouse windows, separated from the foredeck by a (generally) waist-high bulwark. The purpose of the bridge is to deflect green water from the foredeck up over the superstructure top rather than slamming against the forward windows of the pilothouse. It gives a semi-sheltered area outside the pilothouse while underway. A secondary benefit is that it provides a "safe area" or handhold when it is necessary to be on the foredeck in inclement weather. And lastly, it provides additional storage space for lines, fire extinguisher, spare anchor, drogue, etc. if the builder has provided access doors and lockers on the inside of the bridge. Trawlers are most often offered in lengths ranging from 35 to 60 feet (or more) long. Most are built for long term cruising of regional and worldwide destinations. Combined with large fuel tanks they can cruise far before needing to be refuelled. They can be home for between 2 to 8 persons for many days and can be a permanent home. Usually trawlers have a single engine, though twin engine installations are also available from some builders. They have a large fuel capacity. Fuel range is normally 1,500-3,000 miles on smaller vessels, even greater for those over 45 ft in length. When combined with the slower speeds of a displacement hull, these features give such vessels far greater range and economy than similarly sized planing boats. A large engine room under the main cabin is another feature of true cruising trawlers. Many also include a diesel generator of 5-20 kW to power domestic appliances, bow thrusters, dinghy cranes, and similar equipment. In the United States recreational trawlers are catered for by over 70 builders and manufacturers.
I spy N4712!

Eric and I agree on far more than we disagree on and the rest, we just agree to disagree on. It's all fly stuff anyway :)

If he puts that Willard back in the water I may have to make a drive up to Washington for a cup of coffee and a boat tour. There's a few boats owned by forum members on my bucket list to visit in person, and Willy and Eric are on that list.

If he puts that Willard back in the water I may have to make a drive up to Washington for a cup of coffee and a boat tour. There's a few boats owned by forum members on my bucket list to visit in person, and Willy and Eric are on that list.

Hoping to see photos of that!

... So displacement trawlers are limited to at least 1/2 a knot below HS. One full knot is better and more than that w bigger boats. ...

As a former sailboater, watching the Coot's six-knot speed looks "rapid" when looking down from the pilothouse to observe the water passing.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B8%3B7%3Dot%3E2454%3D42%3B%3D66%3C%3DXROQDF%3E2%3A7%3C%3A%3B8867245ot1lsi

We'll if you think trawlers only have full displacement hulls look on trawler forum and see that 95% of the boats represented are not full displacement. There is the odd trawler that is full displacement though.

Eric - You hit another nail on the head! My relatively fast planing hulled Tollycraft is surely NOT a Trawler (speed at WOT depends on engines' HP; my twin screw Tolly reaches 21 + knots). I belong to TF simply because some great boat owners (such as you) post here. And, this Forum is a great place to learn and maybe even teach a bit - best as possible, that is! lol TF is also great for newbies who really want to become acquainted with boats and boating.

Personally I believe the word "Trawler" when used to describe any pleasure boat is completely incorrect... But who am I to say!

IMHO - Although the word Trawler has been expanded in definition in Q1 of 21st Century... The following is what I grew up knowing as definition of a Trawler and I'm a sticken to it! :thumb:

Fishing trawler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Craig, Art and many others,
What a bunch of great guys.
Merry Christmas to all!
Very pleased I'm on your list Craig. Please let me know when you're about to come up.
"Willard back in the water"? Mine? That won't be till early August .. probably.

It is really simple. If the boat has much more than 100 or so horsepower (capable of exceeding "hull speed"), it's not a trawler. ... Most participants here have fast sedan cruisers. But that doesn't mean we can't be friends.

Mine as 200 hp aside does that mean mine is not a trawler I don't think so there are many other characteristics which determine a trawler than just having a 100 hp engine

Can we change the title of this thread? Merry Christmas!

gwkiwi,
Perhaps Mark could have said 7hp per ton.

You're correct, Eric. ... Still, I'm happy with 6-minus horsepower per ton.

Craig, Art and many others,
What a bunch of great guys.
Merry Christmas to all!
Very pleased I'm on your list Craig. Please let me know when you're about to come up.
"Willard back in the water"? Mine? That won't be till early August .. probably.

I will be looking forward to August!

Can we change the title of this thread? Merry Christmas!

Gotta admit it is a bit annoying. I was thinking of soliciting those in this thread for title ideas then thought better of it :)

Feel free to PM me your ideas though because I could always use a good laugh. If one of the other mods don't come through here and rename it first I'll change it tomorrow when I return to civilization and my laptop.

Merry Christmas!

Reactions: Art

If you're going to go trawlering at hull speed you better NOT do it w a full disp boat. Going hull speed requires a semi planing hull. One must plane to some small degree to go forth at hull speed w any degree of grace and efficiency. A semi planing hull is required. So displacement trawlers are limited to at least 1/2 a knot below HS. One full knot is better and more than that w bigger boats.

Good grief! "Hull speed" is just a rule of thumb, a very broad thumb at that. Trying to nail down such specifics as .5 kn and linking that with some undefined type of "efficiency" really is just mental masturbation.

The only reason all those rules of thumb exist for small boats is that it just isn't worth anyone's cash or time to do the type of analysis required to generate data that is worth anything. Not that it would be worth anything after the boat was delivered anyway because the boat and its operator are not equipped to monitor and respond to the factors which determine how efficient the boat is or might operate.

All these long-winded discussions full of pseudo hydrodynamics are akin to using an electron microscope to check the position of a cut line then making the cut with a chainsaw.

The link below takes you to a discussion of how the most efficient operating speed is determined for a ship. Don't have a hissy fit and start whining about how ships and little boats are different ... waterflow and the energy it takes to move a body through water are the same. The purpose of my posting the link is to show that in order to derive the type of information that is being tossed around here with regard to hull form, speed, and efficiency, a degree of calculation and testing is required that, like I said before, is so far beyond reason for recreational boats that it will never happen.

If "analysis paralysis" is the objective then the stuff posted about hull forms and this endless back and forth about displacement vs power vs yadayadayada is quite effective. If you want to know if a boat suits your pocketbook and imagination, go look at one that appeals and talk to the owners to find out what it costs to run and how fast it goes for the money you are comfortable spending.

http://www.mandieselturbo.com/files/news/filesof5405/5510_004_02 low.pdf

By the way, in the 45 pages of hull and propulsion formulas and examples in that document ... the term "hull speed" does not occur even once.

RickB....the reason people use this forum is because they DON"T have to waste their time reading 45 pages of something that isn't discussed here, by Pascoe, or over on boatdesign.sink. :D

All you have to do is post one, relatively poor picture of your boat and immediately the TF "sperts" can tell you if she is seaworthy, topheavy, efficient, full displacement or otherwise and if you include another pic of it underway...exactly what peed she is making and the amount of semi-displacement or not she is.:thumb:

The not so expert (determined by their lack of the ability to do the above and don't spend that mich time on boatdesign.sink)....will discuss endlessly why you shouldn't call it a trawler despite the vast majority of the boating world that immediately says "nice trawler" when they walk past you boat at the dock....:rofl:

Daddyo, that would require an agreement on the definition of "Trawler", not an easy task. As you can search YW and similar sites by Diesel/gas, number of engines, etc, perhaps you brokers can have them add "hull type" as well. This may narrow the search somewhat if somebody wants a SD or FD "trawler type" vessel, it may narrow it down a little. This still assumes the listing is completed accurately.

You may consider changing the thread name to Definition of a Trawler. as that is what the discussion has turned to. :)

Happy Holidays everyone!

In the case of our hull it really is more full displacement then semi. Even hull type isn't clearly definable.

ForumRunner_20131225_093055.jpg

ForumRunner_20131225_093342.jpg

As we get ready to throw the turkey in the oven and feed a very large tribe, I wish all a Merry Christmas.

Now that is off my chest, a boat is just a boat until it as left San Francisco Bay. Then just maybe, after burning a few tanks of fuel on the open ocean, it can be deemed a trawler. Until then it is a picture taking platform.

And the winner is...

Mark, you can pick any prize you wish from the third shelf. There where some honorable mentions in my PM inbox that made me laugh out loud but in keeping with being a moderator I'd better just leave them in there.

Thank you all for playing this special Christmas edition of "Name That Thread".

:)

And the winner is...

Mark, you can pick any prize you wish from the third shelf. There where some honorable mentions in my PM inbox that made me laugh out loud but in keeping with being a moderator I'd better just leave them in there.

Thank you all for playing this special Christmas edition of "Name That Thread".

:)

Now you've hurt my (our) feelings!! :rofl: :rofl:

Happy New Year - Soon to BE!!

I'd like to thank my family and the moderators for believing in me. It all started back when I was in my mothers womb that I first..............................................................................................................................and that's all I have to say about that.

ForumRunner_20131226_110658.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom