Trawler tips appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brico

Veteran Member
After 10 years I am moving from a 38 ft sailboat to similar size powerboat (36-40 ft). I am looking for a boat that is capable of doing up to 14 knots (not faster than that) and has sleeping space for four people excluding the main saloon, e.g. V-berth plus a side cabin with two bunks or aft cabin/stateroom. I guess, with single engine i will be unlikely to do more than 7-9 knots and will have to compromise maneuverability unless i have bow thruster, but bow thruster is still cheaper and more economical than two big diesels. Any models out there that can make at least 12 knots with single diesel engine? Having looked at some boat photographs on yachtworld.com i noticed that the aft cabin layout does provide nice rear cabin but restricts the access to the engines and the need to descend onto the swim grid instead of just stepping onto it from the cockpit. I am looking at late '80s to early 90's models and would appreciate any pointers and suggestions from experienced sailors. My cruising ground i Pacific North West. British Columbia and Washington State.

Petar

Nordic/Arctic Tugs should meet your stated criteria except for having two exclusive sleeping rooms.

232323232%7Ffp54379%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3939%3C59783336nu0mrj

Or a Californian 34 although twin-engined.

232323232%7Ffp73492%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3949598%3A8%3A336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Nordic Tugs from 37' (Pictured in Mark's post) on up can have two staterooms. Optional in the 37 footers but standard above that. Our Nordic Tugs 42 has two staterooms plus an 8-9 knot cruise with max 11.99 knots. (350 HP Lugger; most have more HP.)

One nice feature of the NT layout vs aft cabins generally is the aft slightly covered cockpit, which allows semi dry entry/exit in wet weather.

Brico... I'd also consider Mainships... John Winter has a two stateroom Mainship... take a look at www.mytripjournal.com/JustRelax for many good cruising stories.. I've had my 34T up to 19mph, but that's a lot of wasted fuel...
Good luck with our search, and please post updates and photos,

Check out the American Tug 395 too. Two state rooms and will run into the upper teens.

If having two couples aboard is a regular event, one toilet/bathroom will likely be a problem. Two bathrooms would be better, but that usually means a boat longer than forty feet, like this Grand Banks 42:

232323232%7Ffp73499%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3939%3C68845336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Another vote for the Nordic/American Tugs. In the PNW a pilot house rather than a flying bridge may be desirable because of the weather. Thus the tugs featuring a pilot house over the traditional rear cabin trawlers such as the Grand Banks classics.

Marty

And its understood that 14K may cost 14-28 GPH of fuel burn?

Greetings,
All this information is well and good but what happened to the welcome aboard guys? So.... Mr. Brico. Welcome aboard.

I dunno, RT. Maybe welcome is a "Humbug" in this thread.

I second Juksey's suggestion of the 39 ft American Tug (I have one). With a single diesel (480 hp), we top out at 21 kts, and can cruise at 16-17 kts, burning 15-16 gph. Slowing down to 7-8 kts reduces the fuel consumption to 2 gph. At 12-14 kts the burn is around 8-10 gph.

Sorry, didn't realize he was new. Welcome aboard :)

And its understood that 14K may cost 14-28 GPH of fuel burn?

True. Our NT does 2.5 GPH at 8.5 knots but ramps up to 8 GPH at 11.99 knots. But we only use the 11.99 knots in brief moments such as running a pass or getting out of bad weather. In the overall scheme of things the 8 GPH is not noticed at the fuel dock.

Originally Posted by jukesy
Sorry, didn't realize he was new. Welcome aboard :)
Me too. Welcome aboard! :)

Welcome Mat (4 Viewing)
Introduce yourself and say hello. We're a friendly bunch....
Threads: 377, Posts: 4,334

The welcome mat is where folks usually get welcomed aboard

Thank you all guys for your welcome wishes and info shared so far. Much appreciated. I am fully aware of the significant increase in fuel consumption moving from a sailboat to a power boat and am ready for that. Those that have single engine, do you all have bow thrusters? How do you dock in tight spaces, especially approaching sideways?

I have a single Lugger diesel and because I've had twins my whole life, am in the middle of installing a SidePower bow thruster on my trawler project.

We have a single lugger as well in our NT. The bow thruster is rather anemic so is really only useful for moving the bow away from the dock on departure.

But docking is relatively straight forward with practise. One of the best tools available to you is the stern walk in reverse. As you approach the dock on an angle, checking the forward motion with a shot (long or short) should pull the stern in quite nicely; rudder position has little effect on the reverse prop walk.

Others will chime in with other techniques such as using spring lines I'm sure.

Every vessel has its own characteristics, so what I've described may vary on other boats.

One of the first things I check on a new to me vessel is which way the stern walks in reverse.

But docking is relatively straight forward with practise. One of the best tools available to you is the stern walk in reverse. As you approach the dock on an angle, checking the forward motion with a shot (long or short) should pull the stern in quite nicely; rudder position has little effect on the reverse prop walk.

Absolutely, I can't vouch for every single screw boat, but the two I've had (no bow thrusters) worked in that fashion. No problem at all. If you know how to handle a single screw, you should be able to bring a twin screw on one engine to the dock with no problems. They work the same way. Just a little more pronounced prop steer both in reverse and forward.

Of course, situational awareness of current and wind always has to be considered. That can change how you set up for the maneuver.

I have a single screw boat , no bow thruster, for many years now and you simply practice. The more practice you do the better you will get.

You may find it worthwhile to get an instructor for a few hours to get you the basics and some good tips..

A bow thruster is not a necessity. If I had one I would use it but I don't and at this point I no longer feel the need except once in a long while. Plus I don't have $10,000 to spend on it.

One thing I will suggest is that you do your best to learn how to operate the boat without it even if you have it. I've seen people who are absolutely unable to close quarters steer the boat, even at 100 yds out they are using it, and sooner or later they are going to have it fail. Learn to Use, yes, but don't let it take the place of learning to operate the boat without. Then when in tight spots it will be a real help. It does get people out though that without would never buy a boat, good or bad.
Of course the last comment is from one who, admittedly, doesn't have one.

I am fully aware of the significant increase in fuel consumption moving from a sailboat to a power boat and am ready for that.
Offset the fuel cost against the cost of buying and maintaining a set of sails. Sailboats, especially those raced, may buy some new sails every couple of years, sailboaters often overlook that
I suggest buying Bob Sweet`s "Powerboat Handling".

I am fully aware of the significant increase in fuel consumption moving from a sailboat to a power boat and am ready for that.

Its mostly the size choice and speed choice that creates more cost , along with more complex toys .

Most sailors will happily run at SL 1.1 and loads burn near 1 GPH , 6 -6.5K , 35 -40 ft boat.

With a similar sized and rationally powered boat with a true displacement hull, the burn will be about the same. A Willard for example.

Get into big speed or size and your fuel bill can easily go up by 10X.

Welcome Aboard Brico

My suggestion (of course much depending on how/where you plan to do your boating) is to keep all options open re what type boat to chose and what type engine(s) as well as drive configuration to go with.

Our comfortably and well designed, planing hull, 34' with bullet proof build-out, very seaworthy, 21 + knot WOT with 16/17 knot cruise at 1 nmpg, twin screw, 2.75 nmpg at 6 knots while running on only one screw 1977 Tollycraft gasser has two staterooms... each w/ its own private head/sink/med-cab/shower. Each has 2/3 tall hanging closet Forward room is large V-Berth with center insert and rear is Master w/ near queen sized on stbd and big single to port. Both rooms have plenty of smaller lockers and draws. Master also had big dresser bureau with 4 slider draws.

Some Tolly are gassers and some are diesels. Visit Yachtworld and search Tollycraft... you might be impressed! :thumb:

Happy Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Attachments

• Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 55
  • TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom