View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #37
Ben
Guru

City: Raleigh, NC
Vessel Model: Looking...
Hi Mason,

Thank you. I really liked that poem.

When we spread Marley's ashes in the Cape Fear, I read this to my wife and kids, all present. It pretty much sums up how we feel about our dogs we've had...

A Dogs Last Will & Testament
Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, giving their home and all they have to those they leave behind. If, with my paws, I could do the same, this is what Id ask

To a poor and lonely stray Id give my happy home; my bowl and cozy bed, soft pillow and all my toys; the lap, which I loved so much; the hand that stroked my fur; and the sweet voice that spoke my name.

Id will to the sad, scared shelter dog the place I had in m humans loving heart, of which there seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say, I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain is more than I can stand.

Instead, go find an unloved dog, one whose life has held no joy or hope, and give my place to him.

This is the only thing I can give
The love I left behind.

Our two retrievers over 20 years have been SPCA dogs. Probably the next will be a rescue or similar adoption. Thanks again for the poem and thoughts.

Ben