Door strikes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Could not find replacement door strikes, so I made three of them out of a piece of .051" thick phosphor bronze I had. Remains to be seen if this particular alloy will stand up in an ocean environment.

Attachments

• DEC 22nd 003.jpg
    DEC 22nd 003.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 116
Nice work. I just finished grinding a brass close-but-not-quite-right striker plate to fit for my head door. The boat came to me without one...just the latch into a wood hole. I knew that wasn't going to last long. Plan to install it on my next trip to the boat but yours look nicer.

Phosphor bronze should stand up very well long term.

I know it is an odd choice of material, but I just happened to have it on hand. Kind of exotic to put on a boat for such a mundane function as a door strike, but somewhere in Southern California is a 30' Tollycraft (my previous boat)with a custom made stainless steel anchor pulpit with a Teflon, yes, a Teflon bow roller.

Pricey material for a bow roller but if you have it on hand and it was paid for by another job and left over then use what you have. Nothing wrong with that.

Nice work. You can be proud of those. What tools did you use?

An ancient Atlas 6" lathe with a milling attachment. As you can see I made a holding jig out of a block of wood and used a 1/2" end mill to mill the hole.

Attachments

• Milling door stops 001 (640x480).jpg
    Milling door stops 001 (640x480).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Milling door stops 002 (640x480).jpg
    Milling door stops 002 (640x480).jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 88
The way you mounted the plate to machine it is very clever.

After 40 plus years as a millwright one does learn some tricks of the trade.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom