Prop puller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie mac

Veteran Member
A custom prop puller built for me by a friend who has a local machine shop. It is for a five wing prop that was actually designed in pei by hall and stavert a company that was contracted by mainship to build their props. They have since been sold to michigan props. I got lucky and was put in touch with a former employee who still had the drawings. The original puller sold for 5 hundred dollars.

Attachments

• image-45563723.jpg
    image-45563723.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1000849197.jpg
    image-1000849197.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 129
  • image-2390552472.jpg
    image-2390552472.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 117
Jamie, I'm a but confused on how that one works. Can ya 'splain it for me please?

There are three threaded holes in the hub of the prop you bolt puller to prop hub tighten large tapered bolt in end of shaft.

Jamie, I'm a but confused on how that one works. Can ya 'splain it for me please?
It pulls the prop out. :p On a serious note, I believe the the holes on the base screw into the prop or impeller and then as you tighten the bolt down it makes contact with the shaft and pushes the impeller/prop off.

It pulls the prop out. :p On a serious note, I believe the the holes on the base screw into the prop or impeller and then as you tighten the bolt down it makes contact with the shaft and pushes the impeller/prop off.
Correct

I buy regular "pullers" at automotive outlets. They all have the main screw that is too long to fit between the prop and rudder. I saw the screw off to a length short enough to clear the rudder and long enough to pull the prop. One looses the articulated centering end in the process. I grind a point on the screw end and stick it in the centering hole in the prop shaft.

To use it I line it all up good and w a big "Crescent" wrench put considerable pressure on the shaft. I adjust the prop nut so when it comes loose it only moves 1/64th of an inch or less. Then I heat the hub of the prop evenly as I turn the wheel. Very soon the prop pops off.

Works for me and the pullers at NAPA and similar places are very cheap.

I'm glad the edit window hasn't closed. I heat the prop hub w a MAP gas torch ... not propane. It's considerably hotter.

Last edited:
I looked at this earlier and wondered how you were going to pull a prop with it. I missed the fact that there are 3 bolts that attach it to the prop hub.

How do you keep the holes on the prop clear? Seems and looks like holes that small would gunk up or get painted over and be impossible to clean out. Maybe they are bigger than they look?

$500 for that!?!? Honestly, i think $110 is a bit steep but not outrageous. it wouldn't be as pretty but one nut, one bolt, 3 sections of rod and a washer with some holes in it...Weld it all up and i'll bet you could whip that up and still make a buck selling them for $5.

Now I see why I was cornfused! I don't have any holes in the face of my props for the three bolts to thread into.

The only prop puller I've seen used on my boat had the three long legs that reached around behind the prop and as you tighten that center bolt the three legs pulled the prop off the shaft.

In actuality it sounds lot LOT easier than it turned out to be. The reality of pulling off the props involved lots of swearing and hammering and heat.
img_200874_0_822a0e88d7c90a03e721229f41a1a207.jpg

Certain 4 and 5-bladed props have blades that overlap, making most traditional prop pullers ineffective. So the manufacturers drill and tap holes on the after face of the hub for using a puller like the OP had fabbed-up.

I have a two pronged puller that works really well, It might work on a 5 blade depending on it's diameter I don't know for sure. But mine is really easy to use underwater because it's easy to put into place.

I buy regular "pullers" at automotive outlets. They all have the main screw that is too long to fit between the prop and rudder. I saw the screw off to a length short enough to clear the rudder and long enough to pull the prop. One looses the articulated centering end in the process. I grind a point on the screw end and stick it in the centering hole in the prop shaft.

To use it I line it all up good and w a big "Crescent" wrench put considerable pressure on the shaft. I adjust the prop nut so when it comes loose it only moves 1/64th of an inch or less. Then I heat the hub of the prop evenly as I turn the wheel. Very soon the prop pops off.

Works for me and the pullers at NAPA and similar places are very cheap.

I'm glad the edit window hasn't closed. I heat the prop hub w a MAP gas torch ... not propane. It's considerably hotter.

Harbor Freight sells a hydraulic version. The barrel of the central cylinder just barely clears the rudders on our OA...had to lengthen the "hooks" by drilling some additional holes, but it does the job on 2 inch shaft props with minimal fanfare. I also use a MAP torch to warm up the hub.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom