Barge Canal at Canaveral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jenny
Vessel Make
Bristol Trawler
I plan on traveling down to see a space launch. It looks like I can take the barge canal to the banana river to get a good anchorage. Any info is greatly appreciated.

If the weather is settled you can anchor about a mile east of the ICW and 3-4 miles N of the Addison Point Bridge in the Indian River. That is probably the closest place you can get a boat and anchor.

If the wind is blowing, anchor a bit farther away just N or S of the Addison Point Bridge. Still close enough for a good view of a launch.

The Barge canal takes you into the Banana River. Head east toward the Canaveral Locks, turn north at the Locks, past ski island, just before the power lines, turn east . Great spot for the launches. These are of course, un manned launches and thus are not widely attended. You can pretty much pick your spot. You are now just behind the KSC and the Kennedy air force base. Perfect spot, the best you will get and you are well protected.

Great little marina on the barge canal, called harbor town. Fully equipped and a clean modern facility.

John

The Barge canal takes you into the Banana River. Head east toward the Canaveral Locks, turn north at the Locks, past ski island, just before the power lines, turn east . Great spot for the launches. These are of course, un manned launches and thus are not widely attended. You can pretty much pick your spot. You are now just behind the KSC and the Kennedy air force base. Perfect spot, the best you will get and you are well protected.

Great little marina on the barge canal, called harbor town. Fully equipped and a clean modern facility.

John

John, good to hear from you. I was hoping you would pick up with your local knowledge on this.

Hope things are going as well as can be with you .

Prepare for an invasion of flying bugs with big teeth.

Best is if the launch is in cold weather , but ,,,

Two other options, pull on a mooring or go into Titusville City Marina. Nice place. Very friendly. Make sure you check on Active Captain before hitting the canal. There are a few areas on the North end that can run shallow. When transiting, keep to idle speed the bridge operator can be cranky. Watch all the small boats and kayaks fishing with no regard to safety or rules of the road. I was wondering where you went. You and I were on the same dock at Harbortown. I am the Californian at the end of A dock. Always liked the lines of your Bristol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom