UV water filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a few similar filters of varying sizes 3/4" through 2" IPS, most manufactured by Cuno. They work as advertised but have found the water needs to circulate when they are on. At least in the larger sizes as they tend to heat the water trapped in them when not flowing. Most of mine are installed in deionized water purification systems.

No idea what the advertised lamp life is but have a 2" IPS 60 GPM model with 6 lamps equipped with a Hobbs meter. The last time I looked it had about 17,000 hours on it and no lamp failure yet. The units are completely maintenance free.

Replacement lamps are spendy but I haven't had to replace one yet.

I have a few similar filters of varying sizes 3/4" through 2" IPS, most manufactured by Cuno. They work as advertised but have found the water needs to circulate when they are on. At least in the larger sizes as they tend to heat the water trapped in them when not flowing. Most of mine are installed in deionized water purification systems. No idea what the advertised lamp life is but have a 2" IPS 60 GPM model with 6 lamps equipped with a Hobbs meter. The last time I looked it had about 17,000 hours on it and no lamp failure yet. The units are completely maintenance free. Replacement lamps are spendy but I haven't had to replace one yet.
Just to be clear on your boat right? And how hot does it get, because I would think that would mess up our fridge ice maker.

UV is not filtration but simply a means of rendering pre-filtered water as safe as possible by nuking bacteria. It has limited effect against viruses and pathogens. What/why do you want to use it? Plenty of qualified people who can give you good advice if we know what you are trying to achieve.

IF you install a unit it can be plumbed to safe the water as it enters your tank or dockside pressure system , and with a valve or two to again safe the water from the tank to the on board users.

They take a second or two to start killing so a large accumulator tank will have less time when the pump pushes water and the lamp goes on.

UV is not filtration but simply a means of rendering pre-filtered water as safe as possible by nuking bacteria. It has limited effect against viruses and pathogens. What/why do you want to use it? Plenty of qualified people who can give you good advice if we know what you are trying to achieve.
Were looking to have clean enough water for ice making. I know they kill bacteria, I'm thinking of putting filters before it.

No idea what the advertised lamp life is but have a 2" IPS 60 GPM model with 6 lamps equipped with a Hobbs meter. The last time I looked it had about 17,000 hours on it and no lamp failure yet. The units are completely maintenance free.

Replacement lamps are spendy but I haven't had to replace one yet.

Most UV light s have an 8-10,000 hour life span, after that point they still light but the UV output has diminished to the point of being ineffective. I generally change mine out on a yearly basis. YMMV

http://www.himnrbehs.com/himnrbehs/pdf/Facts.About.Ultra.Violet.pdf

http://www.ultravation.com/replacement-filters-lamps/

Last edited:
Just to be clear on your boat right? And how hot does it get, because I would think that would mess up our fridge ice maker.

No. These are land based process piping installations. I never shot the unit with an infrared gun but hot enough to get your attention when touching the tank.

Most UV light s have an 8-10,000 hour life span, after that point they still light but the UV output has diminished to the point of being ineffective. I generally change mine out on a yearly basis. YMMV http://www.himnrbehs.com/himnrbehs/pdf/Facts.About.Ultra.Violet.pdf http://www.ultravation.com/replacement-filters-lamps/

Interesting, thanks for this. I'll look deeper into it next month when scheduled to sample again. We take frequent water samples and send them to a lab for analysis. We've yet to fail a test so far though.

Were looking to have clean enough water for ice making. I know they kill bacteria, I'm thinking of putting filters before it.
Make sure you size it for your fw pump's max flow rate and your inverter/battery capacity before you order one. For clear ice you need to go ro unless you are going to filter down to 1 micron. Carbon filtration is to remove scents and flavors and won't do squat to any bacteria that can ruin someone's trip.

Via iPad using Trawler

Make sure you size it for your fw pump's max flow rate and your inverter/battery capacity before you order one. For clear ice you need to go ro unless you are going to filter down to 1 micron. Carbon filtration is to remove scents and flavors and won't do squat to any bacteria that can ruin someone's trip. Via iPad using Trawler
Yeah I made sure. Bit haven't ordered one yet.

Filtering to 1 micron does jack all except for industrial and medical process waters and will not remove bacteria. Activated carbon and UV is all you need. If using second pass RO water (Purer than 20ppm) then you must add a mineral or any metals in your ice machine will corrode very rapidly.

If using second pass RO water (Purer than 20ppm) then you must add a mineral or any metals in your ice machine will corrode very rapidly.

Really? Like to see some evidence of that.

How does one "add a mineral" and what mineral does one add?

We had a similar unit made by Culligan in my first house to disinfect the well water. Depending on the mineral content of the water you put through it, you may have to clean the clear quartz tube occaisionally. We were in a high iron area, and the tube would cloud up. I think I cleaned it about once a year, not a difficult job. Other than that, there is no maintenance required. The lamp was still working after four years when we moved out.

Really? Like to see some evidence of that.

How does one "add a mineral" and what mineral does one add?
Sorry, too far away from you to show copper reticulation full of holes. High purity RO water is demineralised, any mineral based reticulation it passes through will naturally want to "give up" minerals to it. Demineralised water is very corrosive, ask anyone involved in RO water treatment. The usual minerals added to protect reticulation are calcium carbonate or calcium chloride, injected via precision dosing pumps.

Sorry, too far away from you to show copper reticulation full of holes. High purity RO water is demineralised, any mineral based reticulation it passes through will naturally want to "give up" minerals to it. Demineralised water is very corrosive, ask anyone involved in RO water treatment. The usual minerals added to protect reticulation are calcium carbonate or calcium chloride, injected via precision dosing pumps.

You're talking about RO water that has little or no TDS (total dissolved solids). The RO systems on our boat (s), when converting salt water to fresh, usually run around 200-250 ppm TDS. Not a problem for the plumbing, ice makers or us. :)

Last edited:
You're talking about RO water that has little or no TDS. The RO systems on our boat (s) usually run around 200-250 ppm. Not a problem for the plumbing or ice makers. :)
I was assuming low pressure RO for secondary treatment, hence my stipulation of <20 ppm. I believe these low pressure systems are very common in the US.

I was assuming low pressure RO for secondary treatment, hence my stipulation of <20 ppm.

Having spent a large portion of my working life making fresh water from salt for use in high pressure boilers (900psi/900F) that require feed water that makes RO water look brackish in comparison, I can attest that the plumbing (copper/CuNi/mild steel/cast iron/SS) does not corrode away before your eyes.

There are several reasons why demineralized water might contribute to corrosion in a few circumstances but it usually involves more factors than the typical commercial or recreational vessel or house has to offer.
Copper & the Environment: How The Copper Industry Helps Solve Corrosion Problems

A pissing contest is unlikely to be of benefit to the OP. A high pressure boiler is a different beast to an ice machine and in fact low pressure boilers treat their water with sodium or calcium carbonate but for different reasons.

I believe these low pressure systems are very common in the US.

The low pressure systems under under sinks in homes would be unlikely to be found on a boat as they only clear clean (not salt ) water and use 18-20 gal to create 1 gal of drinking water.

There is no contest. My response was a simple statement to show others that your sky is falling warning is nothing they need to concern themselves with.

The fact that you would post "...treat their water with sodium or calcium carbonate ..." shows you shouldn't be giving out water quality advice.

In the olden days before water chemistry was understood, they would add CaCO3 to precipitate CaSO3 but found out the hard way that the CaCO3 scale was just as bad once water temperature went above 200F - which is pretty much what a boiler does to water. Calcium carbonate scale is a huge problem with most water systems. Adding it to a system is akin to the middle age technique of bleeding to cure an ailment.

The fact is that water exponentially more pure than what frightened you and what you tried to frighten others, is commonly used in many applications without the plumbing disintegrating.

And since the apparent justification for your warning was in defense of ice machines ... that ultrapure water we made was used for drinking, cooking, washing clothes, and hold on ... supplying ice machines of all sizes and makes.

I never heard anyone complain or even comment about the taste, smell, or clarity of the ice they produced. The machines ran 24/7 for years and normally wore out from being opened and closed a thousand times a day. I have yet to see one dissolve.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine has been making ice from RO water on his boat for many years. He's very happy with the quality of the ice and hasn't had any problems with the ice makers. He has two ice makers on the boat. One makes ice for drinks, the other makes ice flakes that are pumped through a hose to his fish box.

He doesn't have a second low pressure RO unit. I don't think they are very common in my area.

No idea what the advertised lamp life is but have a 2" IPS 60 GPM model with 6 lamps equipped with a Hobbs meter. The last time I looked it had about 17,000 hours on it and no lamp failure yet.

To correct my earlier post the 2" unit has 37,000 hours. This unit is installed in single pass fashion and is the only "filtration"(for lack of a better word) in a poultry processing plant laboratory I maintain.

I selected and installed it several years ago after county health department water samples came back positive for bacteria. No failures since with sampling every 90 days.

2 weeks ago I took this unit out of service as we just brought in city water for this lab and no longer use the well.

Here are some pictures of the control unit and the business end with the cover off.

Attachments

• image-2306601596.jpg
    image-2306601596.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2350686367.jpg
    image-2350686367.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1875364261.jpg
    image-1875364261.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 85
Here are some random snapshots of a reverse osmosis, UV purifier equipped deionized water system in our newest laboratory. The two 4' tall RO membranes (as are most of the maintenance points) are hidden behind the equipment. I stretched my arm to get a shot of the UV purifier. You will notice the extensive use of schedule 80 and PEX tubing. Not to be missed is the stainless steel piping coming into and out of the stainless steel purifier.

This system makes and stores deionized water for lab use. The tank is for storage and it is constantly circulated in a loop through the building. It passes through the UV filter prior to going to the building for use.

This is laboratory stuff and hardly applicable to Oliver but thought some might enjoy seeing it anyway.

Attachments

• image-3230744160.jpg
    image-3230744160.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image-2848925615.jpg
    image-2848925615.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image-139558120.jpg
    image-139558120.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image-660613651.jpg
    image-660613651.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image-354639413.jpg
    image-354639413.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 90
Here are some random snapshots of a reverse osmosis, UV purifier equipped deionized water system in our newest laboratory. The two 4' tall RO membranes (as are most of the maintenance points) are hidden behind the equipment. I stretched my arm to get a shot of the UV purifier. You will notice the extensive use of schedule 80 and PEX tubing. Not to be missed is the stainless steel piping coming into and out of the stainless steel purifier. This system makes and stores deionized water for lab use. The tank is for storage and it is constantly circulated in a loop through the building. It passes through the UV filter prior to going to the building for use. This is laboratory stuff and hardly applicable to Oliver but thought some might enjoy seeing it anyway.[/QUOTEIi don't care, I find this kind of stuff interesting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom