How to define trawlers in listings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasnielsen

Vessel Name
Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Make
Sea Ray AC
I have been reviewing YW and other sites for my dream boat and I have been wondering when did all boats become "trawlers"? Seriously, it seems that every (what I used to think of as) motor yacht, sedan, convertibles and even quite a few tugs are now being listed as trawlers. Did I miss the memo on this?

Above the waterline We all know what a tug is supposed to look like. I personally think of a trawler as more closely looking like something modeled after a fishing vessel. (Shrimper or gill netter?). But when one try's to use "trawler" as a search parameter, it's amazing what listings show up. It sure is adding to an already complicated process of weeding out the boats not meeting some level of minimum requirements....

Any input would be appreciated.

Gary

Gotta admit it is frustrating when you look for a trawler and either a sail boat or express cruiser comes up. Ultimately it's the listing broker inputting the keywords that causes this.

Boycotting any broker that can not understand what a keyword is to be used for is a nice thought but hardly practical. As a moderator on this forum I have moved probably 2,000+ threads posted in the wrong location so maybe it is more than just a broker problem? :)

Gary, let it go. You'll eventually find what you seek. ... I found my "trawler." You will probably be successful too.

img_200245_0_4a67fca6f5bf3a5607be398268f7f480.png

Last edited:
Gary,
We can't even agree on this board what a trawler is. You can't really blame just the brokers (me). Case in point my boat, trawler to most but long "range motor yacht" or "long range motor cruiser", I forget which, to Mr DeFever. I can assure it's probably nothing nefarious on their part as they are excluding those misnamed boats from people searching them by their more accurate description. Most likely its laziness or outright confusion.

It is really simple. If the boat has much more than 100 or so horsepower (capable of exceeding "hull speed"), it's not a trawler. ... Most participants here have fast sedan cruisers. But that doesn't mean we can't be friends.

Last edited:
Today most boats are very similar from the hull down.

A slow displacement boat can have a tug or trawler or motor yacht deck house stuck on.

The displacement crowd easily switches between deck house styles , so the broker is fine grouping boats with similar operating characteristics together.

The oxymoron >fast trawler< is simply a continuation of grouping similar boats together , this time big engines and semi displacement hull married to the trawler or tug style pilot house shape.

Many trawler folks eventually find out that a motor yacht configuration is a better fit for their desirements than the traditional trawler look.

Just ask the happy Bayliner folks.

Folks this post was not meant to disparage any brokerage. Just seeking some clarification. So apologies offered if that occurred.

If I were to use autos as the example in a web search there would be the assumption that everyone visualizes the same thing if one says "truck" or "sedan" or "convertible", etc. Speed and engine size didn't affect what you visualized, the overall shape was still probably agreed upon.

Not a big deal, just wondered if there was something missed in trying to filter to the appropriate type. Trawler in and of itself is not definitive enough apparently with how many variations and opinions exist.

Another lesson learned.

I agree that it's probably just "keyword" parameters that the brokers use, to attract your search engines. You want to get as much traffic to your site/listing as possible. As mentioned above, it's I doubt it's anything nefarious. After all, the buyer is eventually going to see the boat ;)

I've found the same thing doing my searches. I enter "trawlers" and get everything from a fishing boats to million dollar yachts:lol:. Never know what's going to trip someone's trigger when they see it, so why not have them visit your listing, right?

It's actually helped in my searches.

the overall shape was still probably agreed upon.

Yet the SUV is called a truck , to satisfy the air police.

Station wagons were banned by CAFE , even tho most get better gas mileage and ride better than a SUV.

On boats SPEED is the biggest fuel cost factor , space factor , ride factor , so folks will select what the think they want.

My biggest irritation in my searches on YW is trying to exlude houseboats from the trawler search results. I can see some legitimate debate on what constitutes a trawler between some models, but if the "vessel" is a big rectangular box, that's not a trawler by anybody's definition. I wish YW and other listings had an option to exclude keywords.

I agree that the ability to exclude undesired keywords would be nice. But don't count on it happening soon on Yachtworld. The brokers pay for it, so they get what they want.

David

In your search, zero in on a manufacture name instead of the word "trawler". We never refer to our boat as a trawler....

My own opinion is that a true "trawler" should have a pure full displacement hull, regardless of the deck furnishings or decor. Horsepower or number of engines is not a factor, lots of working trawl boats have big engines and multiple engines. What a "trawler" does not do is plane, in any form, now matter how much fuel you burn. The word "semi" used in the hull description precludes a hull from being pure full displacement and by default is not a trawler hull, no matter how slow I drive it or how much I want to be in the club. I own boats on both ends of the spectrum, and am in no way an expert, just my opinion. This, and some money, will get you a cup of coffey.

There's no college or anything for Yacht Brokers. If one is lucky they trained under a experienced Broker who taught them about boats, but if one is unlucky then it's just them parroting what uneducated non-boaters in the boat sales business told them, without them even understanding (don't even know the language)what it is they heard, and passed along. It would be great if all started in boatyards (I was broken in by OJ Young, who was like that Drill Instructor in the movie Full Metal Jacket) working on boats, but the majority (especially in these later years) came into the business after not succeeding in other professions, and don't know **** from shinola (especially ethics) and are only chasing $$$'s.

Last edited:
For those that are coming up with undesireable boats on yachworld, put in a few traits that houseboats and many motor yachts don't/mostly don't have and it may work a lot better....

also it looking for some very specific trawlers...target those with very limited spec searches....works for me...

My own opinion is that a true "trawler" should have a pure full displacement hull, regardless of the deck furnishings or decor. Horsepower or number of engines is not a factor....

This is what I've believed heretofore. ;-)

target those with very limited spec searches....works for me...

Great for your 5th purchase , but hardly useful for the wannabee that is just starting to get an education.

Scary to think someone is getting an education from Yachtworld.....

We'll if you think trawlers only have full displacement hulls look on trawler forum and see that 95% of the boats represented are not full displacement. There is the odd trawler that is full displacement though.

We'll if you think trawlers only have full displacement hulls look on trawler forum and see that 95% of the boats represented are not full displacement. There is the odd trawler that is full displacement though.

Eric

Hello from one "odd" guy to another. But then my Willard 30 burned 3/4 gallon per hour.

Marty

It's my opinion that by definition a true trawler is on a pure full displacement hull. Apparently, in todays marketing anything can be called something else if it sells better. Trawlers are "in" , even if a true trawler is not what the buyer needs. The term swift trawler comes to mind. Semi displacement, is that not a contradictory term, possibly meaning displacement by association, displacement but faster, I dont know. The correct term is semi planing. A displacement hull by design will not plane, the only way to make it go faster with more power is to raise the topsides because eventually, given enough power, they will be under water.

Well, it is definitely true that some members here are closer to the trawler DNA than others.

However, even the more distant relatives seem happy to be members of the Trawler Forum, and are welcomed as such. We are a broad church so perhaps we shouldn't be holier than thou if some broker pushes the trawler boundary further than we think proper.

You never know there might be a real-life trawler skipper reading this and snorting with laughter.

To paraphrase George Orwell, All trawlers are created equal, however some are more equal than others.

Nowadays trawler seems to be more of a state of mind or a lifestyle than a hull configuration. The term brings out thoughts of saltyness or maritime knowledge. Slow and stately, etc. I do think that most folks that have boats that are not PFD would go crazy with a top speed of 9 knots. We all say that we love the slow lane, but I find myself easing the throttles forward a bit "cause a little more speed wont hurt anything". My sportfisher feels good at about 10 knots, which is well above the hull speed of around 8.5 and very inneficcient. At that speed I get about 1 mpg. At 7 knots I can get about 2 mpg. So for 3 extra mph I double my fuel usage. Doesnt make much sence but I find myself doing it anyway. My trawler has a top speed of 9 knots and I almost always run it at less than 8. It feels good at that speed. 9 knots just feels "hectic" or kinda pushing it. I attribute it to the differences between a boat that can go faster and a boat that can't. Most folks I talk to with fast boats do the same as me, 10 knots. Of course, if they're in a hurry they may be running 20 or better, me to. That is not an option with a PFD hull. So it's probably easier to sell a motor yacht type as a trawler than it is to sell a trawler as a trawler, most folks want the ability to go faster.

I hate that moniker "trawler lifestyle". Boating style yes.

The three elements wer'e talking here is hulls, cabins and skippers.

If you're going to go trawlering at hull speed you better NOT do it w a full disp boat. Going hull speed requires a semi planing hull. One must plane to some small degree to go forth at hull speed w any degree of grace and efficiency. A semi planing hull is required. So displacement trawlers are limited to at least 1/2 a knot below HS. One full knot is better and more than that w bigger boats.

Very few of us are willing to limit their speed to that level. Most seem to think they need to outrun weather (and that they can) and buck currents so they come close to normal cruising speeds. It's a state of mind that keeps most out of and away from FD boats.

So most all trawlers are semi planing. Semi planing or semi disp means basically the same thing but most all trawler skippers don't want to see the word "planing" in the description of their boat. But semi planing fits. Face it or ... get a grip (as they say) but once you exceed HS you are to some degree planing. Partly planing or "semi planing". And if your hull is suited to that (and most all on this forum certainly are) they are planing to some degree.
And at the other end of the semi category (semi disp) if your hull has some rocker aft at some speed your boat will become bow high and lack directional control. But/so to some degree those hulls are semi (partly) like a displacement hull. Semi displacement. Some will argue this about words but the physics is all the same. Planing and displacement hulls are not flexible. Their design is to do one thing well and they do. The semi hulls do more but they do not do full disp well ... only fairly well. And the semi hulls do planing only at low speeds. That's what I think Kulas44 is (I think) talking about. He's talking about a pure breed of trawler yacht and that is of course a yacht that resembles a north sea fishing "trawler". And that is the bottom line. If our boats resemble a NS trawler they are trawler yachts .... or now just trawlers.

So there is the boat and the skipper w his boating style. Many trawlermen don't have hulls that resemble NS trawlers but the boat as a whole DOES. So it's a trawler. Camano trawlers basically have planing hulls but they resemble NS trawlers as much as most trawlers so overall (as usually seen) they are trawlers. And we have more skippers here w planing hulls than FD hulls and if they boat like us we fully embrace them as equals. I do.

But the trawler non trawler thing does occasionally go over the top as when Sea Dory advertised their outboards as "trailerable trawlers". I think they made fools of themselves there but probably sold a few more boats. But if you took your Sea Dory on a trip and stayed at about HS does the boat become a trawler? Certainly not if you run an hour at 20 knots. But how can a light planing OB boat be called a trawler? Lots of Sea Dory people have done a lot of trawler like boating.

The more I try to pin it down the more grey area I find.

But basically trawlers are heavy cruisers w diesel power. Notice that my basic description says nothing about full disp hulls.

And if I were to identify the most trawler like boat on this forum I'd say it is Marks Coot. I can think of no other hull here that resembles a north sea trawler more closely. And as far as I can remember none of us has an aft wheelhouse.

Last edited:
Appreciate the perspective "many boats" (Eric). That's why I joined TF; to get a broad spectrum of knowledge from other's experiences. (While trying to step around the other than well-intentioned opinions). Always lots to learn, regardless of age or experience.

Trawler vs. Trawler

There is a neat computer tool called OneLook Dictionary that I resort to when I want to know what a word means. Through the first 15 definitions the information is pretty much the same; it is the use to which the boat is put which determines whether or not it is a "trawler". A trawler drags a trawl. In the encyclopedia discussions below, there is reference to modern high horsepower trawlers, so engine size isn't necessarily a factor. In none of the definitions is there a reference to hull or speed but the Wikipedia discussion talks about both displacement and other hulls. In reality when talking about recreational boats, what I think we are talking about is whether a boat is a trawler style. I don't recall seeing one or two boats on this site rigged and used as a trawler, but if there are, they are trawlers. I am not sure that an aft cabin boat of any hull shape is a true trawler style boat--where would you put the net? Just say'in

World English Dictionary
trawler (ˈtrɔːlə) http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.htmln 1. a vessel used for trawling 2. a person who trawls

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source

Encyclopedia
trawler
fishing vessel that uses a trawl, a conical net that snares fish by being dragged through the water or along the bottom. Trawlers vary according to the method of towing the net. On side trawlers, the trawl is set and hauled over the side with power winches or manually by a large crew. Outrigger trawlers (a type that includes shrimp boats) drag one or two nets from long booms extending from each side. Stern trawlers are powerful vessels that are often built with ramps for hauling heavy catches up the stern onto the working deck. Powered by engines of up to 5,000 horsepower, modern trawlers drag huge nets that must be hauled by rope winches and large net drums or reels. Large trawlers can be floating factories, cleaning and freezing the fish for processing ashore.

Here's what Wikipedia says

Recreational trawler

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Trawler (boat))
Jump to: navigation, search
For the fishing boat, see fishing trawler.

Kadey-Krogen 42' cruising trawler

Recreational trawlers are pleasure boats which resemble fishing trawlers. They can also be called cruising trawlers or trawler yachts. Within the category, however, are many types and styles of vessels.
A fishing trawler for example, always has a displacement hull for load-carrying capacity. Recreational trawlers, on the other hand, are as likely to have a semi-displacement hull. However, with the rising cost of fuel and the lower fuel consumption (though also lower speed) offered by displacement hulls, they are gaining popularity among some buyers. These displacement models typically have a cruising speed of 7-9 knots depending on the boat length. Their maximum speed is often no more than 10-12 knots, whereas semi-displacement hulls can attain 14-20 knots.
Details[edit]

Nordhavn 47 foot Yacht underway

North Pacific 43 ft. Pilothouse trawler yacht

Recreational trawlers are also subject to fashion. For example many USA production recreational trawlers have a style which includes features such as a raised pilothouse or offset deckhouse.
A popular feature is a "portuguese bridge" which consists of a walkway behind the foredeck, in front and to the sides of, the pilothouse windows, separated from the foredeck by a (generally) waist-high bulwark. The purpose of the bridge is to deflect green water from the foredeck up over the superstructure top rather than slamming against the forward windows of the pilothouse. It gives a semi-sheltered area outside the pilothouse while underway. A secondary benefit is that it provides a "safe area" or handhold when it is necessary to be on the foredeck in inclement weather. And lastly, it provides additional storage space for lines, fire extinguisher, spare anchor, drogue, etc. if the builder has provided access doors and lockers on the inside of the bridge.
Trawlers are most often offered in lengths ranging from 35 to 60 feet (or more) long. Most are built for long term cruising of regional and worldwide destinations. Combined with large fuel tanks they can cruise far before needing to be refuelled. They can be home for between 2 to 8 persons for many days and can be a permanent home.
Usually trawlers have a single engine, though twin engine installations are also available from some builders. They have a large fuel capacity. Fuel range is normally 1,500-3,000 miles on smaller vessels, even greater for those over 45 ft in length. When combined with the slower speeds of a displacement hull, these features give such vessels far greater range and economy than similarly sized planing boats. A large engine room under the main cabin is another feature of true cruising trawlers. Many also include a diesel generator of 5-20 kW to power domestic appliances, bow thrusters, dinghy cranes, and similar equipment.
In the United States recreational trawlers are catered for by over 70 builders and manufacturers.

Poach,
Good post but I'd rather see your opinion and Wikipedia has trawlers and passagemakers mixed up as do some members on this forum. While talking about trawlers they shouldn't reference a boat w a photograph of some other type. Nordhavn's aren't even trawlers so using them as an example is either in poor taste or through ignorance.

However the rest of what wikipedia says seems quite good.

Also I suspect trawlers more often than not have twin engines.

I'd love to know who's mixed up and not.........:rofl:

Poach,
Good post but I'd rather see your opinion and Wikipedia has trawlers and passagemakers mixed up as do some members on this forum. While talking about trawlers they shouldn't reference a boat w a photograph of some other type. Nordhavn's aren't even trawlers so using them as an example is either in poor taste or through ignorance.

However the rest of what wikipedia says seems quite good.

Also I suspect trawlers more often than not have twin engines.

yup--it's a mixed up world allright.:banghead:

I suspect trawlers more often than not have twin engines.
Experience here is most (real) commercial trawlers have singles. Part of boat operator learning is watching them dock at the Sydney Fish Markets, single, no thruster, just trawlerman boat handling skills on display.

Back
Top Bottom