radar weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slowboat 37

Just looking for opinions. Our Hershine 37 had it's wooden mast replaced by the previous owner with a steel one. Which includes the spreaders for lights and platforms for t.v. antenna and wind. Plus the current Radar and mast head light. The Radar is down for the count. Due to my brother up grading all the electronics on his boat, I thought i would put them on mine. My concern is that his antenna is an open array unit which is larger than would normally be used on 37ft. His boat is 54. the weight of it is 50lbs. I intend to have some reinforcement fabricated if I move ahead. The package includes screens and plotters for two stations and the price is perfect. I would like to do it, but not if that is considered to be too much weight too high. I don't want to add more roll. My boat, Lilli Belle is the one on the header with Burgundy canvas as you log out.

50 lbs isn't going to make a difference worth worrying about- especially since the net difference (old to new) may be only about 15-20 lbs.

My opinion- go for it.

Just looking for opinions. Our Hershine 37 had it's wooden mast replaced by the previous owner with a steel one. Which includes the spreaders for lights and platforms for t.v. antenna and wind. Plus the current Radar and mast head light. The Radar is down for the count. Due to my brother up grading all the electronics on his boat, I thought i would put them on mine. My concern is that his antenna is an open array unit which is larger than would normally be used on 37ft. His boat is 54. the weight of it is 50lbs. I intend to have some reinforcement fabricated if I move ahead. The package includes screens and plotters for two stations and the price is perfect. I would like to do it, but not if that is considered to be too much weight too high. I don't want to add more roll. My boat, Lilli Belle is the one on the header with Burgundy canvas as you log out.

It will add some roll to the boat but how much is really hard to say...it isn't like it's an on/off thing...your boat may roll a degree or two more and hang a bit longer...but my guess is you will not notice the difference...

.....but that's just a guess without numbers to crunch.

Yeah, I understand your thinking. Last year I removed all the electronics from my pilothouse roof and reskinned the roof for solar only. I save about 46 lbs. on the new skin over the old one, mostly because of the enormous amount of wasted glue that was plopped inside to keep the upper and lower skin together. Then I removed my old mast, boom and rigging (94 lbs.) and made a new mast to mount the electronics (77 lbs. but higher CG), then added a custom dinghy davit on the boat deck of which 61 lbs. are above the boat deck. I'm about to replace the solar panels on the roof, adding about 38 lbs. over the old setup. When all is said and done, I figure I'll end up with the equivalent of another average passenger standing in the middle of the boat behind the pilothouse. The boat has the reserve stability to manage such things and more often than not, a large dock box full of stuff is sitting there anyway.

Back
Top Bottom