The small benefits of Christmas shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasnielsen

Vessel Name
Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Make
Sea Ray AC
Was out trying finish up on the last minute Christmas shopping and ran in to Barnes & Noble for a quick poke around. Sure as heck the "Sport" group pulled me in and I spied "The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat" [2008, Mark Nicholas]. What better time than now to buy myself a Christmas gift! (Give it up - how many of you do that also!?!)

No relation to author... Nor is this a recommendation. Just excited about my "gift".

As a lifelong dreamer of living aboard, the time is fast approaching to make this a reality. I am looking forward to getting home, pouring a cocktail and start turning some pages. Dang traffic!

Oh yeah, any other reading recommendations are appreciated.

Gary

I started with voyaging under power...mine is the 4th edition. great read.

I have Voyaging Under Power but it's on the boat so I don't know what edition it is.

I saw an ad for the new Chapman's the other day. I have an old one from the 60's but might have to pick up a new one....just cause!

I like these three in particular:

#1) The Intricate Art of Living Afloat by Claire Alcard. Written but revised the original is out-of-kilter on the medicines for certain however the information on provisioning, voyaging, chartering (we did it on our 40'er) and taking on crew (what not to do) -- well, it's a good read. And it's a penny on Amazon. :)

#2) Tricks of the Trades by Bruce van Sant (yes, the information in this book is also within his Gentleman's Guide to Passages South however it's in a better format -- not scattered within the island trek) I'm still learning his treatise on weather. Fascinating.

#3) Why Didn't I Think of That? Speaks more to sailboats but also has a lot of modifications and ideas a full-timer could use to make their boat more livable.

I've read the Nicholas book. It's not bad. Mueller writes a better one. Groen I believe offers a similar topic. Tom Neale writes a decent one -- I'd pick his after the initial three. I'm sure there are others.

Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom