Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To save me wading through 600 posts I'll ask the question here...WHY?

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to start from scratch or just buy one ready to go?

Dont get me wrong, I takes me hat off to you for doing it but I also shakes me head at the same time.

years ago I delivered new Vikings and they made a 44 ft motor yacht, then they took the same mold and made it into a 50 ft motor yacht, they added 6 ft to the hull,the 50 ran faster with they same engines as the 44 and they left the shafts and rudder in the same place that they were on the 44, the 50 ran nice and flat,may be the 6 ft gave it more lift,but the boat ran 4knts faster
Pretty common on sailing boats especially cats.
One of the most common of performance enhancers besides getting rid of excess weight and a clean bottom is to add some length.
Added bonus is somewhere nice to swim from, bring a dinghy into and retrieve a MOB.

To save me wading through 600 posts I'll ask the question here...WHY? Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to start from scratch or just buy one ready to go? Dont get me wrong, I takes me hat off to you for doing it but I also shakes me head at the same time.

Thanks for your questions but If you have to ask why then you won't understand the reason but to answer, Yes. It would be easier to buy one already done.

Last edited:
Wont I?
I am a shipwright by trade if that helps.

Dear Parmenter

I’m confident Matt has by far and away the best answer to your (shipwright background) experience filled reasoning for your specific inquiry of “WHY?” on post# 631...

However, after becoming friends with him during his arduous and per-item-expeditious very fulfilling long term task of restoring AXE from the ground (err, water LOL) up, and, having followed his every post as well as reading every post from other TF members aimed toward his assistance... I would like to place the following answer of mine to your (post # 631) question of ”WHY?”. BTW – If you do take time to review all posts in this monumental thread you would see that Matt and his gal are well in tune together on this project (that’s called bonding) as well as the clear fact that it is in Matt’s nature to successfully take on intense projects of product beautification and restoration with wonderful outcomes at their conclusion. No matter what type of a project for restoration I were to ever undertake it is Matt who I would hire to assist... so I could then feel confident of successful conclusion to my endeavor. The man has pit bull like capability of never letting go of an object with the muscle power of a Rhino backed by keen mechanical intuition and the mental energy to see things through. Yeah - - > I, and I’m sure also are many others on TF, am damned well impressed by Matt’s fortitude and sheer desire to successfully complete his every project – especially on AXE. And, in addition, during this long and well documented re-build journey it is resoundingly obvious that he is one hell of a “Cool Cat” who can take the winds of time in stride – always coming to the top wherever/whenever that level in needed!

Soooo... If I may be so bold... here’s my answer to your question of “WHY”?.

Because he is driven by an intense internal desire to perfect material product projects. And, very importantly... simply cause he wants to work his refurbishment magic in a previously (to him) untested field of wooden, large-cruiser-boat, marine goods! Also, importantly, because AXE’s successful conclusion will become another documented notch in his product restoration belt! Not to mention the fun he and his Admiral and family and friends will have on AXE once her restoration is substantially attained and she gets splashed.

Please understand: With you as an experienced shipwright who spent years in your trade and me as a person who spent a couple decades working alongside shipwrights in mid 20th Century restoring, refurbishing, adding onto, and building wood as well as fiberglass boats anew in New England – well – we simply do not have the same fire in our bellies as Matt has for wanting to undertake a huge wood boat restoration project – i.e., The AXE! Because, basically, you and I have “been there done that”... but, for me, never as fully as Matt is doing the AXE!

There you have it! My reasoning WHY Matt is doing the AXE – Up Round!

Matt – my friend... Hope I didn’t over step my bounds for saying what I truly feel about you and your AXE project and hope what I feel/said is somewhat correct in your eyes. I defer to you for further explanation to Parmenter.

As always I give you my Sincere Thumps Up! –

Happy Boating Daze! – Art :D

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. P. To answer your question of "Why" from my perspective and opinion of Mr. Hendo and defering to Mr. Art's essay, I would say simply....Because it's there mate.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Wont I?
I am a shipwright by trade if that helps.

That only helps explain why you don't think his project is worth the time and effort.

It isn't the destination, it's the voyage.

Rick B, that's all of this site in a nutshell.

I would say simply....Because it's there mate.
And that my friend is an answer I can well understand having done similarly crazy things myself and I say that with no offence intended. ;)

To the other answers, thanks as well

It isn't the destination, it's the voyage.
Having done this for a large part of my life I can say with absolute conviction that I have been on some pretty shitty voyages and am in no screaming rush to repeat them BUT, the first couple are always an adventure. ;)

Have fun with it Matt :thumb:

Anywayyyyyyyy. AXE update. Jumped on the Hendo mobile and went down and skinned the hull extension and got it ready for glassing tomorrow. Can't wait to do the glassing. I'm sure I'll get over it pretty quick but I've been aiming for this step for months and months but the weather kept stuffing it up. I'm happy with the size of this extension. It also helps me answer where I can put my tender when underway lol Ok we'll that's all. PEACE!

Attachments

• image-2670302005.jpg
    image-2670302005.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2582367286.jpg
    image-2582367286.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image-4188097362.jpg
    image-4188097362.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2416742359.jpg
    image-2416742359.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3151363302.jpg
    image-3151363302.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3182091250.jpg
    image-3182091250.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 77
  • image-467737050.jpg
    image-467737050.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1171524994.jpg
    image-1171524994.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image-648296073.jpg
    image-648296073.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 89
  • image-363538684.jpg
    image-363538684.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2425360068.jpg
    image-2425360068.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 82
  • image-136919126.jpg
    image-136919126.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Matt – my friend... Hope I didn’t over step my bounds for saying what I truly feel about you and your AXE project and hope what I feel/said is somewhat correct in your eyes. I defer to you for further explanation to Parmenter. As always I give you my Sincere Thumps Up! – Happy Boating Daze! – Art :D

No not at all mate. Appreciate your feedback and support. Flic and I are Lucky to have you as a friend!

Routered the chine rail, installed some struts and Started glassing today. Yaay :-D ... I've glassed before (rudder, battery box, and a few small items) but nothing on this scale. Certainly nothing 12mtrs long in one hit. I had a few holy sh!t moments and felt a bit overwhelmed at times but sucked it up and pushed through and got good results. I laid up 195gsm fibreglass cloth on the main section of the hull and laid up Double Bias 450gsm fibreglass tape on the chine area. Massive overkill but should be nice and strong.

Well that's all for this week. Monday tomorrow so back to work for another week. Cheers all
Regards
Hendo.

Attachments

• image-4240108503.jpg
    image-4240108503.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-566987669.jpg
    image-566987669.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 83
  • image-61606179.jpg
    image-61606179.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image-879301502.jpg
    image-879301502.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3740070079.jpg
    image-3740070079.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2537465661.jpg
    image-2537465661.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2718629584.jpg
    image-2718629584.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2601074175.jpg
    image-2601074175.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1413564468.jpg
    image-1413564468.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 86
  • image-314926072.jpg
    image-314926072.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image-286035416.jpg
    image-286035416.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3008275482.jpg
    image-3008275482.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2255382643.jpg
    image-2255382643.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 68
  • image-1496644184.jpg
    image-1496644184.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3803743405.jpg
    image-3803743405.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 77
  • image-932768965.jpg
    image-932768965.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3731056236.jpg
    image-3731056236.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image-548894797.jpg
    image-548894797.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 81
  • image-4168659180.jpg
    image-4168659180.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image-1795479445.jpg
    image-1795479445.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 93
Wow - what a project. Never mind Hendo, you know what they say…the steeper the learning curve, the faster you gain momentum, so the faster you learn. Actually I just made that up, but I think it's right…good luck with all that...

Yep Summer is comin! ... Perfect weather for AXE progress.

Attachments

• image-689596267.jpg
    image-689596267.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 73
Is that "sunny with a chance of meatballs..?"

Looks like a stinker this weekend,hope we win the toss at the WACA

hey hendo,guess what, i bought a boat. my boat is the PACIFIC PEARL an ex torres straight pearling lugger. she was built in 1957 in brisbane by c crowley.probally the last lugger built in qld.a picture of this boat is what inspired me to buy a boat in the first place, anyway it came full circle an i'm her owner. i have a lot of work a head of me and a lot of learning. i don't know how to post recent photos so if you or anyone else wants a look google pacific pearl auction the photo in the water may be 30years old but you will get the gist . all good tom

hey hendo,guess what, i bought a boat. my boat is the PACIFIC PEARL an ex torres straight pearling lugger. she was built in 1957 in brisbane by c crowley.probally the last lugger built in qld.a picture of this boat is what inspired me to buy a boat in the first place, anyway it came full circle an i'm her owner. i have a lot of work a head of me and a lot of learning. i don't know how to post recent photos so if you or anyone else wants a look google pacific pearl auction the photo in the water may be 30years old but you will get the gist . all good tom

Heyyy ... Congratulations mate! ... :dance: whatd she set ya back? looks like a beauty! :thumb:

The best way to upload pics via a PC is through photobucket or via an iphone is through the trawler app.

For those that are interested, the below link is for Toms new baby

http://www.bigboatshed.com.au/images/Pacific_Pearl_flyer_3.pdf

TomTom - Pacific Pearl is a beauty - Good Bones I Bet!! Looking forward to see picts as you and she get "acquainted" wink wink!

At times you may need to teach her some rules... but never forget to often tell her how beautiful she is! lol

Outstanding boat! Looking forward to lots of pictures.

inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter
To save me wading through 600 posts I'll ask the question here...WHY? Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to start from scratch or just buy one ready to go? Dont get me wrong, I takes me hat off to you for doing it but I also shakes me head at the same time.
Thanks for your questions but If you have to ask why then you won't understand the reason but to answer, Yes. It would be easier to buy one already done.

Hi Hendo,

Yes some just don’t get it, I have on a regular basis checked in on your progress, the passion you show inspires me, the condition of the boat when first started, the great surprizes with removal of every panel, the conditions that you have to work in , the ongoing challenges, wholly great bananas look how far you have come.

Anyway as a bit more inspiration, I have also noticed along the way you have shared your thoughts and experience on our anchors from using them, people with such determination to get the job done really do inspire me, because of all my above comment I would like to donate you an anchor upon completion, if this is alright of course.

Merry Christmas to all.

Regards Rex.

Hi Hendo,

.....Anyway as a bit more inspiration, I have also noticed along the way you have shared your thoughts and experience on our anchors from using them, people with such determination to get the job done really do inspire me, because of all my above comment I would like to donate you an anchor upon completion, if this is alright of course.

Merry Christmas to all.

Regards Rex.
Well Hendo, what a great offer from Rex. You, your family, and Axe, have been through a tough year, a gesture like that is a wonderful reflection of the spirit of Christmas thought, and a big encouragement with the job, in the context of everything else life presents to us.
Happy Christmas to you, congratulations to Rex for your thoughtfulness and generosity. Axe will be a fine vessel, even better with a new anchor on the bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenter

Hi Hendo,

Yes some just don’t get it, I have on a regular basis checked in on your progress, the passion you show inspires me, the condition of the boat when first started, the great surprizes with removal of every panel, the conditions that you have to work in , the ongoing challenges, wholly great bananas look how far you have come.

Anyway as a bit more inspiration, I have also noticed along the way you have shared your thoughts and experience on our anchors from using them, people with such determination to get the job done really do inspire me, because of all my above comment I would like to donate you an anchor upon completion, if this is alright of course.

Merry Christmas to all.

Regards Rex.

WOW Rex :eek: ... I don't know what to say :blush: ... I mean, Thank you obviously, but that doesn't seem to cut it ... Ive been a owner, fan and vocal supporter of Super SARCA and SARCA EXCEL anchors for a long time and when the time came to purchasing an anchor there was only one anchor that I would trust to hold my darling firm to the sea floor.

I am glad I inspire you and hope that more people get out and get stuck into something outside of their comfort zone. :thumb: Im gratefull for your support and for reading my posts. Its hard to tell who actually reads these and who follows them

Your words and the words of all of AXE's supporters mean a lot to me as I read these posts to give me inspiration when im feeling blah ...

I am left wonder how I can help you Rex. I am more than happy to have SARCA or Anchor Right Signage on AXE as a reflection of my gratitude.

I showed Felicity this and she did the whole lady thing and got teary:facepalm: :rofl: and asked me to pass on her warm thanks ... She also jokingly told me to hurry up and finish AXE before you forget your extremely kind offer hahaha ... :rofl:

Again, thank you Rex for your generous offer, your continued support and we wish you very warm Christmas Greetings from our family to yours

Kind Regards
Matt.

Last edited:
Well Hendo, what a great offer from Rex. You, your family, and Axe, have been through a tough year, a gesture like that is a wonderful reflection of the spirit of Christmas thought, and a big encouragement with the job, in the context of everything else life presents to us.
Happy Christmas to you, congratulations to Rex for your thoughtfulness and generosity. Axe will be a fine vessel, even better with a new anchor on the bow.

Yeah im speechless :nonono:
Merry Christmas to you also mate

Lovely gesture Rex and I think well deserved.
Merry Xmas to You and the Axe family.
I will be thinking of you all whilst I work but I will be home boxing Day.
Cheers and Merry Xmas once again.
Hendo keep the faith.
Benn

:noel: Damn nice of you Rex!

You must look just like Santa in full dress! :noel:

I'm sure Matt, Felicity and family will stay well snug with your SARCA Anchor. Tiz a wonderful item you provide for helping Matt make sure he ASAP gets AXE ready to use your gift.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all! :thumb: :dance:

Hendo-From way up here in the PNW, I have thoroughly enjoyed your sharing your rebuild with us. I know it has been in turns enjoyable and frustrating for you, but it has been a great project and very interesting to follow. I admire your tenacity and the work you have put in. Great to see that at least one of us can express appreciation in a very concrete manner.

Best of luck to you and yours Down Under this holiday and best wishes for many happy days on the water in the future!

Well, that went well. Almost made me teary - well, actually it did just a wee bit - screen sorts blurred there for a minute or two. Anyway, lovely gesture Rex, and as Bruce and I have both given it our mod blessings, you're damn right, there is NOTHING wrong with that gift.

And a damn fine Excelent Xmas to Y'all.

He, he, that should put a bit of a burr up Hendo's 'you know what' to charge into finishing Axe ASAP..!
Do you hear what I hear…no, it's not sleigh bells in the snow…c'mon…he lives in Western Australia, it's stink in' hot there now…no we hear a sander going flat out methinks..?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom