Storms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, guess I must be the only person in the world who doesn't prefer floating docks. Oh well. :)

In places like behind Hatteras and the Indian River of Florida where there's no tide to speak of (1-2 feet)...fixed docks are fine...in bigger tidal places like Savannah (8ft), Maine (8+) and Alaska (20+)...floaters sure make life simpler especially cruising to different places every night.

Blue Heron and Takes Two--We're at Lulu's Homeport Marina in Gulf Shores and concur with your views on floating docks. Which Marina in Pensacola are you at Blue Heron?

I'm at Lost Key. We are the last marina before the Pensacola Pass and are exposed to the southerlies and east winds.

I agree BH, floating docks are the way to go. If your stern line was a bit tight, the big tide may have pulled a lot of tension, with the gusting wind push it over its limit.
I wouldn't be too concerned about 50 knot winds in my situation; but with
a fixed dock, high tide, big enclosed flybridge and unprotected marina, you'd have to watch the weather when your off the boat almost as much as when cruising.

I hope you're able to fix up your battle scars without too much fuss.

Auscan, thanks. Yep all the things you pointed out make for a requirement to monitor the weather at all times.

Appreciate the sentiment.

I'm at Lost Key. We are the last marina before the Pensacola Pass and are exposed to the southerlies and east winds.

Yep, Big Lagoon is pretty wide open, but there are some good anchorages nearby. Beautiful water awaits just offshore. Is Triggers restaurant still there. Loved their bisque. Good seafood area. Did you ever consider Orange Beach?

Yep, Big Lagoon is pretty wide open, but there are some good anchorages nearby. Beautiful water awaits just offshore. Is Triggers restaurant still there. Loved their bisque. Good seafood area. Did you ever consider Orange Beach?

Triggers is indeed still there.
Orange Beach is great also. We like the fact our marina is right outside of our Condo. Hard to find a setup like that.
Even with the risks.

Any one have a fiberglass repair that resulted in a claim on insurance? I think I need to rebed the stainless on that side and look at some stress cracks. I doubt the paint will match so what will that do in regards to new paint? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Triggers is indeed still there.
Orange Beach is great also. We like the fact our marina is right outside of our Condo. Hard to find a setup like that.
Even with the risks.

Any one have a fiberglass repair that resulted in a claim on insurance? I think I need to rebed the stainless on that side and look at some stress cracks. I doubt the paint will match so what will that do in regards to new paint? Thoughts?

it's definitely paint and not gel? know what kind of paint?

Ouch Blue Heron... I hope your repair process goes well/quickly.

Here, near the Big Bend where Florida turns and heads south on the Panhandle, the winds have been kicking. I went to bunk with my batts at 12.3 and by morning the Air-Breeze had brought them up to 12.9.

Stinking cold too. I'd tried to duck out of the Thanksgiving Day celebration at the marina across from where I'm anchored (predicted high of 51 with rains didn't sound like great dinghy weather) but have accepted an offer for a go-fast dink ride in and back tomorrow. Today I'm doing the prep work for deviled eggs. The ladies will appreciate how glad I am that they almost all peeled nicely.

On the VHF this morning I offered to bring in an electric heater (not much use out here) but no one needed/wanted the boost so I'm guessing the boats at the dock are all snug and warm. Good for them. Me? I'm testing my propane catalytic heater -- perfection indeed, and the electric (12-volt, 35 watt) electric blanket is amazing. There's nothing like getting into a warm bunk. Even Skipper likes it:

SkipperSnug.jpg

Ouch Blue Heron... I hope your repair process goes well/quickly.

Here, near the Big Bend where Florida turns and heads south on the Panhandle, the winds have been kicking. I went to bunk with my batts at 12.3 and by morning the Air-Breeze had brought them up to 12.9.

Stinking cold too. I'd tried to duck out of the Thanksgiving Day celebration at the marina across from where I'm anchored (predicted high of 51 with rains didn't sound like great dinghy weather) but have accepted an offer for a go-fast dink ride in and back tomorrow. Today I'm doing the prep work for deviled eggs. The ladies will appreciate how glad I am that they almost all peeled nicely.

On the VHF this morning I offered to bring in an electric heater (not much use out here) but no one needed/wanted the boost so I'm guessing the boats at the dock are all snug and warm. Good for them. Me? I'm testing my propane catalytic heater -- perfection indeed, and the electric (12-volt, 35 watt) electric blanket is amazing. There's nothing like getting into a warm bunk. Even Skipper likes it:

Thank you Janice. Stay warm and I hope your anchor stays nice and set.

Should warm up some, Janice. I'll wave to you when I go over the Carrabelle bridge tomorrow on my way to St. George Island for Thanksgiving dinner.

Psneeld, it is gel coat I think. Appears original.

if the manufacturer isn't still around and their records aren't either...many manufacturer's gel coat colors were preserved by the gel coat manufacturers so don't worry...a good glass guy can get the color or match it pretty well. I have also heard that some people have taken chips and white base to a paint store and the computer tinting matched pretty well..problem is gel darkens wit age...that's why manufacturer original color mix is best.

Is Lost Key near where the old Rod and Reel Marina used to be before Ivan wiped it out? Big Lagoon can kick up a chop in that area. One of the only places I've almost gotten seasick tied up at the dock!

I took two days off from work to make a long vacation week; we planned in advance to take the boat down to Caladesi Island. Well, the trip got canceled because of the weather. We experienced 20-25 knot winds. I was on the dock and nearly lost my footing from a gust. I decided to stay on board at the marina and get some electrical work done until the wee hours of the night. It was nice and cozy with the heat running! My three year old was coloring and watching TV in the v-berth and wifey was sipping on coffee.

Last edited:
Is Lost Key near where the old Rod and Reel Marina used to be before Ivan wiped it out? Big Lagoon can kick up a chop in that area. One of the only places I've almost gotten seasick tied up at the dock!

It is. Yessir. It gets rolly.

Thank you Janice. Stay warm and I hope your anchor stays nice and set.
Absolutely... I've got a 33 pound Rocna on 1/4" G4 chain. I don't move. The only concern I have is when I go to the dock for the engine swap will be in getting the anchor up. Usually by day three I have to tie off to the Samson post and power it loose. So, I'll chat with the local BoatUS guy and see if for a case of beer he'll unset the anchor. After four months (in one place!!!) that son-of-a-gun is buried deep.

I'll be going ashore (C-Quarters invited Skipper and I over for the pot-luck dinner they are throwing) so wave before the bridge John.

It's going to be a fun day. I've never had deep fried turkey (looking forward to trying that though) and James (he works at C-Quarters and I can state unequivocally he's very good at the grill) is smoking a turkey and ham, plus deep frying the bird. I don't think anyone will go hungry!

There's a lovely couple from Brazil in too and she bakes... she'd made a carrot cake (real, not packaged) that was divine... so light, and not too sweet either. It should be fun though I wish I had not left my foul weather gear in Kidlet's closet. She's even got my souwester rain hat. I look like a duck when wearing it, but I'm dry!

Hoping everyone has a scrumptious day tomorrow. I've been listening to the old Thanksgiving radio shows on my radio via USB flash drive. And Friday I'll start with the Christmas shows. Remember radio theater? That's what I've got -- everything from Jack Benny to It's a Wonderful Life. Gosh those were good shows and so much fun to listen to again. The innocence and the imagination too -- you actually could picture everything. I suppose it's like revisiting old friends each December and November. They are all there waiting for me, along with the singers like Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, Dean Martin...

I am so fortunate. Life truly is wonderful afloat. :)

Absolutely... I've got a 33 pound Rocna on 1/4" G4 chain. I don't move. The only concern I have is when I go to the dock for the engine swap will be in getting the anchor up. Usually by day three I have to tie off to the Samson post and power it loose. So, I'll chat with the local BoatUS guy and see if for a case of beer he'll unset the anchor. After four months (in one place!!!) that son-of-a-gun is buried deep.

I'll be going ashore (C-Quarters invited Skipper and I over for the pot-luck dinner they are throwing) so wave before the bridge John.

It's going to be a fun day. I've never had deep fried turkey (looking forward to trying that though) and James (he works at C-Quarters and I can state unequivocally he's very good at the grill) is smoking a turkey and ham, plus deep frying the bird. I don't think anyone will go hungry!

There's a lovely couple from Brazil in too and she bakes... she'd made a carrot cake (real, not packaged) that was divine... so light, and not too sweet either. It should be fun though I wish I had not left my foul weather gear in Kidlet's closet. She's even got my souwester rain hat. I look like a duck when wearing it, but I'm dry!

Hoping everyone has a scrumptious day tomorrow. I've been listening to the old Thanksgiving radio shows on my radio via USB flash drive. And Friday I'll start with the Christmas shows. Remember radio theater? That's what I've got -- everything from Jack Benny to It's a Wonderful Life. Gosh those were good shows and so much fun to listen to again. The innocence and the imagination too -- you actually could picture everything. I suppose it's like revisiting old friends each December and November. They are all there waiting for me, along with the singers like Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Rosemary Clooney, Dean Martin...

I am so fortunate. Life truly is wonderful afloat. :)

Love it. When I was a kid in Europe I used to listen to AFRTS and SEB. We didn't get TV. I loved the old radio shows they would play in the evening.

Regarding "named" storms.. I agree but my policy states specifically Hurricane or Tropical storm. I'm not on the hook for the Yeti..

Try these folks for gelcoat. They have all kinds and the records of many boat manufacturers. Even if you get the original gelcoat because of age it will probably have to be tinted. A good gelcoat man is an artist.

Mini-Craft of Florida, Inc. - Inventor of the Aerosol Spray Gel-Kote

You can call them, and actually speak to a knowlegable person.

Insurance Adjustor and Surveyor today and repair estimator also. Looking at probably a month of yard time to repair.

Good thing it's winter.

Will let you know when repairs begin.

Last edited:
Insurance settled. Paid as estimated. Getting Hauled out this morning. Gonna be on the hard for at least a month.
It's winter and not spring so that is good...

Because this was a named winter storm (Borius) be prepared for a higher deductible on your insurance claim, thats why I am not a supporter of all these new storms being named when before they were not named and insurance was not affected.

What does naming them have to do with anything? besides i thought it was the weather channel who is naming them, likely to give anchors something to talk about...not the NWS or NOAA.

Insurance settled. Paid as estimated. Getting Hauled out this morning. Gonna be on the hard for at least a month.
It's winter and not spring so that is good...

Congratulations and may I say you've got great timing. By the time it's warm you'll be splashed. Good luck and all that. :)

Named by the World Metorological Organization
Tropical Cyclone Names

Yes, yes, tropical storms...are named by WMO but the crazyness of naming every noreaster that blows is the work of the weather channel. correct me if i am wrong but i didn't even see 'Boris' as a potential name on the website you listed.

The Weather Channel’s decision this winter season to start naming severe winter storms in the U.S. — such as bestowing the name “Nemo” for the massive Feb. 8-9 winter storm — most likely will not have any implication for “named-storm clauses” found in many property policies, the Insurance Information Institute said.

No Insurance Implication for Weather Channel's Decision to Name Winter Storms

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom