Paint remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
I need to remove the name painted (3 places) on our newest toy.

The usual paint remover I use has brometheline chloride in its makeup.

Bro Mec will definiatly dissolve GRP , we use it to clean steel rollers when laminating.

Touline has been suggested , any other ideas?

Mr. FF,
** Something like Easy Off oven cleaner or concentrated ammonia maybe?* Strong caustic stuff.

Believe it or not brake fluid ( such as dot3) will soften paint for removal. It is also water soluable so you can neutralize it or clean up afterwards.

Brake fluid will be the first try as we usually have an opened can that should really be discarded.

Most folks don't realize brake fluid must be changed every few years.

It absorbes water , so in heavy breaking the fluid can get over 212F , boil and the brakes no longer function.

True, and the moisture allows rusting in the system.

Brake fluid has long been a paint removal trick in the model railroad world. It is often a technique used to remove paint from pre-painted plastic and metal models. One must be careful in using it on plastic however, because if left on too long it can soften and distort the plastic.

FF

We used regular Zip-Strip when we did the bottom last spring. I neutralized every spot right after stripping with water with no ill effect to the gel coat. It does contain methylene chloride and say right on the can "May soften fiberglass or plastic." Needless to say I did test spots first.

Your results may vary.

Rob
Datenight
37' Sedan

A product called Smart Strip can be used on fiberglass without damage.* Paint it on, cover it with Saran Wrap so it can do its work before evaporating and you should get a good result.

Just wondering if any new miracle GRP-safe paint removers have come into being since this thread started 4 yrs ago. I have the same problem as Fred and need to get the PO's painted name off the boat without melting the transom.

Just wondering if any new miracle GRP-safe paint removers have come into being since this thread started 4 yrs ago. I have the same problem as Fred and need to get the PO's painted name off the boat without melting the transom.[/QUOTE

Oven cleaner is most common for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom