Passerelle/ boarding plank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Well as we're going though things, one thing were looking at that were going need is some sort of gangway or Passerelle type thing. We were thinking one of these (pic). and add the appropriate mounting hardware. Weight really is not a problem as were going to use the davit to place it. Also we would add stanchions connected with rope for use a railing.

Attachments

• image-2228489004.jpg
    image-2228489004.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,857
Last edited by a moderator:
Well as we're going though things, one thing were looking at that were going need is some sort of gangway or Pasarelle type thing. We were thinking one of these (pic). and add the appropriate mounting hardware. Weight really is not a problem as were going to use the davit to place it. Also we would add stanchions connected with rope for use a railing.

I bought something like that one time years ago, so ma-in-law (then about 90), could get onto the boat. She did, we went out, her sitting in a camp chair in the cockpit facing forwards, and enjoying every minute. She loved boats. Grew up in Bluff and Stewart Island (Southern NZ), just about living in them. Anyway, at one stage a large semi-planer swept past, catching us out a bit, and set us rocking. I looked back in time to see Ma rock sideways a few times then gently tip over on her side - still sitting in the chair and laughing. I was scared she would break a bone, but no way - we righted the chair - her still in it - and she was still laughing, and all she could get out was "wow, that was some wave there!"
Any, sorry for the digression, but we only used that plank that one time for that purpose, but I have found it handy since as a painting trestle plank.
So, if it happens to you Oliver, that you don't use it much on the boat, it can still be useful.

Oliver

We carried one, almost identical, for years. Served us well on the few times we used it. Mostly when we cruised with a dog. Given how infrequently a passerelle is needed in the Western Hemisphere the painter's platform is fine. If, however, you are taking your Nordhavn to the Med, I suggest you consider getting a commercial passerelle which drops down or slides out and which has railings. You will need to use it frequently.

Marty

I bought something like that one time years ago, so ma-in-law (then about 90), could get onto the boat. She did, we went out, her sitting in a camp chair in the cockpit facing forwards, and enjoying every minute. She loved boats. Grew up in Bluff and Stewart Island (Southern NZ), just about living in them. Anyway, at one stage a large semi-planer swept past, catching us out a bit, and set us rocking. I looked back in time to see Ma rock sideways a few times then gently tip over on her side - still sitting in the chair and laughing. I was scared she would break a bone, but no way - we righted the chair - her still in it - and she was still laughing, and all she could get out was "wow, that was some wave there!" Any, sorry for the digression, but we only used that plank that one time for that purpose, but I have found it handy since as a painting trestle plank. So, if it happens to you Oliver, that you don't use it much on the boat, it can still be useful.
That was the exact use ours is going be intended for. Your story cracks me up, the fact she was still laughing on her side!

Oliver We carried one, almost identical, for years. Served us well on the few times we used it. Mostly when we cruised with a dog. Given how infrequently a passerelle is needed in the Western Hemisphere the painter's platform is fine. If, however, you are taking your Nordhavn to the Med, I suggest you consider getting a commercial passerelle which drops down or slides out and which has railings. You will need to use it frequently. Marty
Do t think we'll be going to the med anytime soon, so this one should do.

Greetings,
Mr. 4712. We have a similar set of stairs on our vessel. One of the advantages of such a set-up is, if docked in tidal areas, we always have steps. Sometimes flat-ish if the tide is low and sometimes steep if the tide is high. This system will NOT work on narrow finger piers/docks.
With a ramp at high tide one could theoretically have a ramp that slants at an extreme angle thus precipitating a slip and slide onto the dock. Just my $.02.

Greetings, Mr. 4712. We have a similar set of stairs on our vessel. One of the advantages of such a set-up is, if docked in tidal areas, we always have steps. Sometimes flat-ish if the tide is low and sometimes steep if the tide is high. This system will NOT work on narrow finger piers/docks. With a ramp at high tide one could theoretically have a ramp that slants at an extreme angle thus precipitating a slip and slide onto the dock. Just my $.02.
Do you have a picture that I could reference? I just don't know where it would mount on our boat, any ideas? It would work if our Nordy like some others had a boarding door on the side of the pilot house.

Stairs versus passerelle

Passerelles are used extensively in Europe and someplaces in the Caribbean because there are no finger piers. Each boat backs up to the main dock and protects itself from neighboring boats by fenders. All exit and entry is off the stern onto the main dock. Unless your boat can be safely docked within less than a long step you need a passerelle or gangplank to get to the dock.

Marty

Marty

Attachments

• image-282232723.jpg
    image-282232723.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 1,142
passerelles or plank.

Would it be more fun to have someone walk the passerella?

SD

Oliver: Being in Dania Beach, you are almost next-door to Salorman's in Ft. Lauderdale. On my last visit, they had a half-dozen or so examples, including telescoping. Might save some $$$. Typically, salvaged units are either very good condition or even unused. BTW, I've often gotten good deals there, but you've got to be brave enough to offer them a lot less than they are asking. Things like passerelles are often on consignment and being near Christmas, well, you never know.

Last edited:
Oliver: Being in Dania Beach, you are almost next-door to Salorman's in Ft. Lauderdale. On my last visit, they had a half-dozen or so examples, including telescoping. Might save some $$$. Typically, used units are either very good condition or even unused.
You know what, that's actually great idea! I always forget their there. Because were always going to west marine and boat owners which is right down the road from them.

Greetings,
Everything in Ft. Lauderdale is referenced to Lester's Diner. It's either across from, beside, behind or just down the street from Lester's.

Greetings, Everything in Ft. Lauderdale is referenced to Lester's Diner. It's either across from, beside, behind or just down the street from Lester's.
Yep.

Greetings,
Everything in Ft. Lauderdale is referenced to Lester's Diner. It's either across from, beside, behind or just down the street from Lester's.

Don't forget "At", which in my case is often the proper term.

I bought something like that one time years ago, so ma-in-law (then about 90), could get onto the boat. She did, we went out, her sitting in a camp chair in the cockpit facing forwards, and enjoying every minute. She loved boats. Grew up in Bluff and Stewart Island (Southern NZ), just about living in them. Anyway, at one stage a large semi-planer swept past, catching us out a bit, and set us rocking. I looked back in time to see Ma rock sideways a few times then gently tip over on her side - still sitting in the chair and laughing. I was scared she would break a bone, but no way - we righted the chair - her still in it - and she was still laughing, and all she could get out was "wow, that was some wave there!"
Any, sorry for the digression, but we only used that plank that one time for that purpose, but I have found it handy since as a painting trestle plank.
So, if it happens to you Oliver, that you don't use it much on the boat, it can still be useful.

Being born in Invercargill I still miss those Bluff Oysters the worlds best.

Be sure to check prices before finding treasures at Sailormsn.

He is the parts source for folks that have old gear and are Stuck, and prices accordingly.

The Dania Marine Flea market might offer a gear at 1/5 the price.

http://www.daniamarinefleamarket.com/

March 13 -16 2014 See you there on the FIRST day!

Be sure to check prices before finding treasures at Sailormsn.

You got that right! More people need to laugh and walk out.

Megayacht Mart a few blocks up Andrews (across from MPT) is an excellent alternative. However, they have recently been stricken with the Sailorman pricing bug and some of the stuff is ridiculously overpriced. This has only occurred recently so hopefully they will see that stock isn't moving and will come back to Earth.

I agree that Salorman's sticker prices are not realistic, but whenever I find something I want, I just work on 'em. It took me a month to get my price on a new-takeout Stidd helm seat. I paid 1000 bucks (retail 4500) and then went back and bought the custom pedestal for 60 bucks (retail 325) and 40 bucks for the SS foot rest (280 retail). I had to spend two hours cleaning it, but otherwise perfect. I see some of the same dock-boarding ramps there as I noticed 6 months ago. Those are the items I go after.

Rick....I think you might be right about the spread of inflated sticker prices to other stores in Lauderdale, but here on the Gulf Coast, I don't find them much lower on similar items. Stuart either, for that matter. Still, it's a rare thing to find passerelles on something like Craigslist. There's only so many salvage yards big enough to carry stock. My welder custom builds them, but the material alone is $$$.

Last edited:
Still, it's a rare thing to find passerelles on something like Craigslist. There's only so many salvage yards big enough to carry stock. My welder custom builds them, but the material alone is $$$.

If I were in the market for a side boarding ladder and cost was no object, I would go for one of the carbon fiber versions. They are becoming more common as passerelle extensions and side ladders. They are fantastic! Super light weight, quiet, strong, stiff, and sturdy.

They make those aluminum Marquipt things look and feel like a Home Depot stepladder. The difference between walking up or down one of the carbon fiber ladders compared to the aluminum versions has to be experienced to believe.

I have heard that Marquipt has a carbon fiber ladder or will soon have one so I shouldn't lump all their products as less than acceptable.

MANUAL SIDE BOARDING STAIRS is just one of the CF builders.

Back
Top Bottom