Our other hobbies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My other hobby , flowers, from around the world distributed through out western Canada.:thumb: Its cold out there these days.:banghead: Yup a petal pusher:D The other hobby would be BEER !:rofl:

Attachments

• December 9 2013 087.jpg
    December 9 2013 087.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 92
  • December 9 2013 053.jpg
    December 9 2013 053.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 96
  • December 9 2013 077.jpg
    December 9 2013 077.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 104
  • oct 28 2013 024.jpg
    oct 28 2013 024.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Dec 2 024.jpg
    Dec 2 024.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 96
  • December 9 2013 023.jpg
    December 9 2013 023.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Older British Sportscars. The "classic" ones cleverly designed to have sacrificial parts fall off at random intervals, to self-oil the undercarriage from the engine lube and with random on/off electrical systems. Keeps my masochistic side happy.

Is that the Rover V8 in there? Wasn't that actually Buick engine at one time?

Is that the Rover V8 in there? Wasn't that actually Buick engine at one time?

Reverse that. It's an aluminum Buick 215. GM sold the engine rights to Rover and it became the Rover 3.5 (and then eventually larger capacities on the same block).

Chopperguy, if your based out of B'hams airport stop overflying my house. It's hard to get a fuul body tan with all the rotorywing traffic so low!

MurrayM, very nice. I miss Dektol.

I used to use Dektol with Selectol Soft because Ansel did. Then, when Kodak went digital I switched to Ilford film and paper, and experimented on making developer and fixer from scratch. Now I use an Ansco 120 formula variation with Glycin added to it that kicks Dektol and Selectol Soft in the butt, works for both film and paper, and keeps almost forever :thumb:

Nothing fancy like Murray does, but my hobby is photography. Here's one I took this week from in front of the house.

img_200051_0_a7cc13c60820c05fb2a4cf86ca199082.jpg

Nothing fancy like Murray does, but my hobby is photography. Here's one I took this week from in front of the house.

Dude, that one's awesome!

90% of nature photography is actually being there with your camera.

MurrayM, if you ever get down to Miami, I'll take you out to Clyde Butcher's gallery in the Everglades. He does some neat stuff with an old 8 X 10 and makes giant prints.

Chopperguy, if your based out of B'hams airport stop overflying my house. It's hard to get a fuul body tan with all the rotorywing traffic so low!

I wish I flew out of bham, sadly I work on the east coast. But don't worry, it's hard to see any details from the chopper. I have been flying for 14 years and have only gotten a show twice. Once was pre arranged, told my ex when I was going to be flying over and to be ready so I guess that doesn't count!. The other I wish I could un see!

image-4179915259.jpg

I was a Olympic Rower and now I use to row a Coastal Rowing boat

Cars.
I may buy a New Beetle or Golf. The Beetle is made in Mexico but I like it better than the German made Golf. Next year the Golf will be made in Mexico too.
Still love driving my 73 Buick.

Photography ... but not at the processing level as Murray. And I agree w whomever said the photographic trick is to have your camera with you when the picture presents itself. The other way is to go where the picture is going to be. Ansel Adams did a lot of that.
Two of mine:
1. The Skagit River 2 blocks from our house.
2. Sunrise at anchor in western Canada.

I did a LOT of motorcycling and Ultralighting too. Twenty years (and 2000hrs) of UL and and 50 years of motorcycling.

Alemao I had a"Front Rower" for a few years. Have you read "Rowing to Latitude"?

Attachments

• DSCF0803 copy.jpg
    DSCF0803 copy.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 94
  • all to 12-15-09 159 copy 3.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 159 copy 3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Eric, Nice pictures! What kind of UL's did you fly? Following is a picture of a much younger and lighter me in a Manta Foxbat.

Attachments

• Parks'Ultralite (2).jpg
    Parks'Ultralite (2).jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 142
A Hobby I just started this year, something I found I really enjoyed and the finish project turned out lovely. I am already looking at the next and considering building them in semi full time basis. Either that or furniture but the boat end really appeals to me. I am also going to be building my son a two story 200 sf structure this next year. But that's a whole other story.
5875-albums202-picture953.jpg

Feel free to check out the others in the build,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88046876@N03/with/8204739261/

My next build?
Devlin Designing Boat Builders - Candlefish 13

Last edited:
bshillam,
Looks like a Swampscott Dory. Beautiful. Have you been rowing it?
Can't find Bob Coffer's phone #. We were going to have coffee sat AM probably the Barnes & Noble/Starbucks on Meridian. I'll go up there about 10:30am hopping Bob will see this .. I'll PM him. Would love to meet you if you're free and game ... or perhaps others. One big advantage of not being in Alaska.

Hoppy I built (most) and flew in chronological order
1 Easy Riser bi plane all doped fabric wings. 10hp Crysler.
2 Pterodactyl Ascender w Cuyuna engine and redrive.
3 Kasper Wing .. weight shift in pitch. did the vetercal mush.
4 Quicksilver w 15hp Yamaha go cart engine. Weight shift in pitch.
5 Pterodactyl Ascender w gear drive, dual carbs and four blade prop.
6 Lazair 3 w twin 9hp Rotax water pump engines. Over 4 hours duration at 25mph.
Did hang gliders too for 3 years.

Eric,
Going to be down at the marina tomorrow, thinking if the weather holds the whole family might go for a little cruise. I'll PM you with my number and we can connect for coffee, tea, or what not. I have some projects this next week on the boat so I am sure we can.

I just shred pow when I'm not boating :)

Photography ... but not at the processing level as Murray. And I agree w whomever said the photographic trick is to have your camera with you when the picture presents itself. The other way is to go where the picture is going to be. Ansel Adams did a lot of that.
I like that second photo of yours. It reminds me of one I took several years ago near the Bridge of the Gods on the Columbia River. Ya gotta love those late afternoon colors.

img_201748_0_e201da5b709de197c5e73055729ee171.jpg

Eric, Did you foot launch the Easy? I never flew a Kasper wing or Lazair but I have time in all the others. Loved watching the Lazairs fly. What a beautiful little airplane.

That Kasper Wing mush is really amazing. I saw it once at Oshkosh.

Once flew a Quicksilver weight shift with a Cuyuna. The darn thing climbed like a rocket! My first UL was a foot launched Quicksilver hang glider with one of the little Chryslers on it.

Spent a lot of time float flying over Biscayne Bay here in Miami.

The engine on my Foxbat was a Cuyuna direct drive. Little short prop spinning fast and loud!

I don't have much hang glider time, no mountains in Miami. We did tow them behind boats. We could get close to 2000 feet, release from the tow line, and glide down. No lift to be found over the water so it was down hill all the way.

Well thought a thread about our side hobbies besides boating.

Every so often someone comes up with a thread that gets everyone on the same wave length, no opinions disagreements etc.

Well done N4712(although a name to go with that would be good) this is such a thread.

For mine:

Attachments

• europe trip 562.jpg
    europe trip 562.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 105
Andros Island has dozens of Blue Holes to dive and it's a lot closer. As far as other hobbies, Fishing, Hunting, Shooting and riding my Harley.

GFC,
I played w your picture. Didn't know I could snatch your pic and not sure how I did it. Hope you approve.

HopCar,
Wern't those the days.
Yes I foot launched the Easy and it was pitch sensitive. It actually was so sensitive it was easy to control once you've flown it some. It did any pitch command instantly so you basically just "pointed" the nose where you wanted it to go. Roll was much like the Fledge wing but the wing tips weren't heavy and didn't feel like it either.

I flew one of my Pterodactyls to 12,500' over Arlington WA one day. It was modified and would climb at 1440 fpm at a 45 degree angle of attack. It's very cold up there even in the summer. Took one pic but too cold to take more.

The Lazair was a beautiful wing to look at, fly and hear. All it needed was a reduction drive and better carbs.

Attachments

• DSCN2876_zpsc45d660c copy 2.jpg
    DSCN2876_zpsc45d660c copy 2.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 91
Some pictures from way back, in a quarry there is always going be accidents.

Attachments

• image-911437822.jpg
    image-911437822.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2606696718.jpg
    image-2606696718.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 94
  • image-4119445748.jpg
    image-4119445748.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3059087649.jpg
    image-3059087649.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image-558679472.jpg
    image-558679472.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 85
  • image-2026579186.jpg
    image-2026579186.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 93
Oliver, all of that looks very expensive. That big red one could make my pond with one scoop! Just drive it down I95 to Miami.

Fishing, shooting, hunting, desert offroading and RC airplanes. Unfortunatly in the crackpot state I live in almost all of these pastimes are under attack. Makes me wonder what my kid's life will be like.

Sippin Old #7 Tennessee sour mash whiskey and wondering if one day I'll be able to get back on and ride my 1985 BMW R80 RT.

GFC I don't know what I was thinking when I snatched your pic and changed it some. I was taken up in the mechanics of it I think. You should have blasted me for it. I'm sorry now.

HiDHo I had about 50 motorcycles and rode all over the 6 or 7 PNW states and BC. Was roadmaster for a club about 20 years ago.

Like many here I like taking pics. My pics are frequently road shots and most all are w my slightly over-sized pocket camera. Roadside pics are a favorite.

Two BC
Two Skagit River very close to our house.
One the "back channel" at Point Baker in Alaska.
One Arches National Monument in Arizona.

Actually I think I'll have to say my best hobby is driving. Mostly cars (see my new Jetta) or anything I can get my hands on. Hard to park that Jetta.

Attachments

• DSCF0780 copy.jpg
    DSCF0780 copy.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0781 copy.jpg
    DSCF0781 copy.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCF0803 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0803 copy 2.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF0793 copy.jpg
    DSCF0793 copy.jpg