T/T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Couple questions, first on an tender in the state of FL with say ex: T/T Oliver, do you still need FL numbers? Second how many tenders can you have, we're going have two one 12' and a 17'.

Greetings,
Mr. 4712. I've heard it suggested that if your dink with the boat's name on it is ashore it could alert nefarious types you are not aboard.

Greetings, Mr. 4712. I've heard it suggested that if your dink with the boat's name on it is ashore it could alert nefarious types you are not aboard.
True, but that's a risk that's worth taking since most of the time were in a marina.

True, but that's a risk that's worth taking since most of the time were in a marina.

Yes, Oliver, you will still need to register the dinghy with the state of Florida.

Greetings,
I suspected FL registration was necessary but didn't know for sure. In that case I would stick with the letters and numbers and forgo the T/T.

Now the fun starts when you go to register your 2 tenders. We had help getting Hobo legal in FL this fall. We used Valerie at Arts Tags and Title in Fort Lauderdale. She charged about $45 to walk all the paper work through. Tucker (Yachtbrokerguy) referred her to us. We sent her copies of the paper work she needed and a check and that was it. Some of the best money we spent since we have been in FL. :)

For those who have heard of states where the tender does not have to be registered, you may find the exemption in that state only applies if the dinghy is used solely to go from the anchored boat to the nearest dinghy landing point.

Marty

I often see cars with T/T (Big Yacht Name Here) painted on them. They all have license plates.

I had a customer who's boat was named Whistling Swan. The dinghy's name was Cygnet. So you guys don't have to look it up like I did, a cygnet is a baby swan. I always liked that name.

I often see cars with T/T (Big Yacht Name Here) painted on them. They all have license plates. I had a customer who's boat was named Whistling Swan. The dinghy's name was Cygnet. So you guys don't have to look it up like I did, a cygnet is a baby swan. I always liked that name.
Clever, very clever. :D

A pediatrician named his sail boat "Baby Doc", and his tender "Little Tender Behind".

A pediatrician named his sail boat "Baby Doc", and his tender "Little Tender Behind".
Clever! :D Saw this today when we were visiting our boat. Clever name isn't it? :lol:

Attachments

• image-1502054674.jpg
    image-1502054674.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 130
For those who have heard of states where the tender does not have to be registered, you may find the exemption in that state only applies if the dinghy is used solely to go from the anchored boat to the nearest dinghy landing point.

Marty

For the record, Canada only requires licensing or registration for 10hp or more.

Last edited:
No motor, no sail(s). No registration required. That is, in California.

232323232%7Ffp54365%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D395872%3C7%3C6336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54385%3Enu%3D3976%3E972%3E%3A47%3E2%3A67972%3B38245ot1lsi

(Petaluma, CA turning basin)

Last edited:
No motor, no sail(s). No registration required. That is, in California. (Petaluma, CA turning basin)
This may sound dumb, but how do you see what's in front of you? I've always drove power dinghies, so if it's a dumb question please forgive me.:blush: BTW nice dink!

"For the record, Canada only requires licensing or registration for 10hp or more."
And thus was born the 9.9 hp engine.

This may sound dumb, but how do you see what's in front of you? I've always drove power dinghies, so if it's a dumb question please forgive me.:blush: BTW nice dink!

Occasionally look over one's shoulder. I saw one rowboat, however, equipped with a forward-view mirror.

Both Algae and Seaweed are over 30 years old, so I get an Antique (or some such) reduced fee on the duo. This year it was more because I re-titled in Florida and had those fees. It's my understanding that as old boats I'll pay just $6 each per year.

And, any motor counts on the dink. Mine's just 7' so if I were to go without the trolling motor she would be free. It's worth the $6 not to have to row.

Also, there is something called a Sojourner's Pass that FL sells. Essentially it is a one year pass to use state waters without registering. Your out-of-state (current) counts, and FL charged $36 for my boat (23') and $12 for the dink. There's a sticker you add to the port side of each vessel. If you are planning to be in the state more than 90 days but less than a year, it's an option to consider.

Both Algae and Seaweed are over 30 years old, so I get an Antique (or some such) reduced fee on the duo..

So THAT is why they only charged me $6.95 on the registration for my '73 Gulfstar in November! Thanks, Janice. I thought they had made an error (but was not about to call it to their attention). I paid more for for the dink re-registration than I did for the trawler. :)

Back
Top Bottom