Fast Dissolving TP or Not??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know what they say. . . "Don't squeeze the Charmin". And don't shake a Charmin man's hand either!! :eek:

Attachments

• charmin.jpg
    charmin.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 166
Charmin looks the one, but how about a "finger test" to see if the dissolving performance is matched by "on the job" performance.

Funny...Practical Sailor or someone did a test years ago...or it could have been when I was an RVer and in some article in my readings there that Charmin was the worst at dissolving...

Maybe just time or the economy changed the paper....goes to show how you have to keep up with the times and don't listen to old info....

That was my understanding as well re the Charmin. I wonder if there is a difference between using salt or fresh water?

For those really concerned with paper clogs try a modified version of the bumper dumper. Hint, the plastic bag is the modification.

Attachments

• image-514161335.jpg
    image-514161335.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 164
Nice test - but, 12 hrs??!! What did they look like in 30 seconds to 3 minutes for comparison. That's closer to the duration from hitting water in bowl to flush time. I've found from simple hand use that West Marine TP nearly immediatly turns to goosh when slightly wetted for counter or sink wipe. Home TP seems to last notably longer for same usage. Respectfully I say... Even cardboard will become pretty wasted after 12 hrs in water with two shakes to boot!

OPPS - bshillam - Small edit here... I been on a project today and needed to follow the thead since your post (last post on preious page), which is what I refer too in this post! - Carry ON!!

Last edited:
Note to self: Be sure and strike "tour Africa and SE Asia" from the bucket list!!
:angel:

When arriving in their amazingly huge new air terminal in Dubai busting for a YKW 2 yrs ago on way to UK, the first toilet cubicle I encountered just had the squat type in it, and I thought OMG, I don't believe it..!
But fortunately a wee Indian guy - one of the many toilet valets they have, pointed out a European type toilet in most of the other cubicles. They even rush in and given it a quick wipe down before and after you use them...most impressive...

Funny...Practical Sailor or someone did a test years ago...or it could have been when I was an RVer and in some article in my readings there that Charmin was the worst at dissolving...

Maybe just time or the economy changed the paper....goes to show how you have to keep up with the times and don't listen to old info....

so what your saying is Charmin's quality has gone to crap!

I couldn't resist..:dance:

HOLLY
WOOD

does it really matter if it dissolves in 30 seconds or 30 minutes? .. I was under the impression that IF it clogged the pipes as long as it dissolved in a shortish amount of time it was not a issue?
HOLLYWOOD

But fortunately a wee Indian guy - one of the many toilet valets they have, pointed out a European type toilet in most of the other cubicles. They even rush in and given it a quick wipe down before and after you use them...most impressive...

Hope my wife doesn't read this as it would be hard to find a fella like that for short term hire on this side of the globe.

Ok, so I went back and did a 30 second try. As some have pointed out that this indeed is much closer to the reality of the situation. My conclusions are thus,
The two marine papers had less volume than the house hold 2 plys. However they all showed some sign of breaking down in that little amount of time. I shook all four twice in my little containers. I would assume less volume might indicate less likely to build up into a clog. I would not however in a pinch not allow the wife to bring Charmin onto the boat. I will hold to what my original conclusion was and that is,
plenty of water and good common sense (too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.) **My disclaimer, I am not affiliated with any of the paper companies.

Cheers!

Ok, I will admit it... this thread lead me to do the toilet paper water test last night (at home) and I have to say the result was not good. The paper I tested did not break down over night, so I might need to check out some other brands :blush:

I was not too worried (until now, thanks to this forum), as since I replaced the macerator on the toilet earlier this year we have had only one blockage, but I guess that is one too many!!

I am now under pressure to resolve this issue as we leave on Saturday for a month on board. :eek:

Ok, I will admit it... this thread lead me to do the toilet paper water test last night (at home) and I have to say the result was not good. The paper I tested did not break down over night, so I might need to check out some other brands :blush:

I was not too worried (until now, thanks to this forum), as since I replaced the macerator on the toilet earlier this year we have had only one blockage, but I guess that is one too many!!

I am now under pressure to resolve this issue as we leave on Saturday for a month on board. :eek:

I suggest plenty water with each flush, use marine TP and let it saturate with water for a minute before flush, flush-clear more than once if a large volume TP is needed to complete the project. :eek:

Also... chew 32 times at after each bite... helps digestion! :thumb:

And, brush your teeth for mininum of 180 seconds after every meal - helps kissing!! :dance:

I suggest plenty water with each flush, use marine TP and let it saturate with water for a minute before flush, flush-clear more than once if a large volume TP is needed to complete the project. :eek:

Also... chew 32 times at after each bite... helps digestion! :thumb:

And, brush your teeth for mininum of 180 seconds after every meal - helps kissing!! :dance:

Thanks for the advice Art. I will pass the instructions on to the Admiral :rofl:

A MONTH ON BOARD..? Mike what have you done to deserve a month on board..? Best I've ever managed was 11 days. Wanna swap Admirals..? Just kiddin':angel:, sort of...

A MONTH ON BOARD..? Mike what have you done to deserve a month on board..? Best I've ever managed was 11 days. Wanna swap Admirals..? Just kiddin':angel:, sort of...

Pete,

Well it is not quite a month, it will be from the 21/12 to 16/1, so nearly :rolleyes:

I am lucky that we are shutting our business from 20/12 to 13/1, so that part was easy. Christmas day was the biggie, we had our official family christmas dinner yesterday, so key family relationships have been preserved :thumb:

I have the family coming up to the boat in shifts, I just need the weather to behave now.

Regarding the Admiral, no I think I will hang on to her, but thanks for the offer :thumb:

This thread evolved from a nasty ol' (some times really nasty - lol) TP use debate to possible swap mate funnies... not what I expected at all!! OTDE sub sector of TF is only place I can see those funnies expanding! :rofl: :eek: :hide: :whistling: :D :facepalm: :flowers:

As usual no one has stated the obvious...

If your having plugging issues...

EAT MORE FIBER !

Hollywood

:facepalm:

I think Newick came along a few thousand years after the first version was constructed.

And, let me know if you find a rule that says you cannot relieve yourself in the water. All the regs are related to heads; storage, treatment, or discharge of what enters them. Natural body functions are not regulated - yet.

You might cause offense if seen but that legal aspect of that would most likely be related to indecent exposure or some such nonsense.

I advise my guests as follows:

The first person to use the head cleans it at the end of the day. Amazing how they can hold their deposits.

And, let me know if you find a rule that says you cannot relieve yourself in the water. All the regs are related to heads; storage, treatment, or discharge of what enters them. Natural body functions are not regulated - yet.

You might cause offense if seen but that legal aspect of that would most likely be related to indecent exposure or some such nonsense.
Exactly! This is one of those cases where you can see how the marine sanitation laws in the U.S. are pretty bizarre.

For example, here in Tampa Bay, it is a violation of marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop into the head and have it discharge directly overboard. But it is NOT a violation of any marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop directly into the water. It may be a violation of public decency laws, or urinating in public laws, or something such as that, but not marine sanitation laws.

How does that make any sense!?!

Exactly! This is one of those cases where you can see how the marine sanitation laws in the U.S. are pretty bizarre.

For example, here in Tampa Bay, it is a violation of marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop into the head and have it discharge directly overboard. But it is NOT a violation of any marine sanitation laws for me to pee or poop directly into the water. It may be a violation of public decency laws, or urinating in public laws, or something such as that, but not marine sanitation laws.

How does that make any sense!?!

This is completely true, in fact if you pee or poop in a container of any type that becomes a holding tank and it is not legal to then dump that in the water.

So peeing in a coffee can or bail bucket and then pouring over the side is not allowed but standing "at the rail" is ok. :banghead:

I must confess I do enjoy the mid-night deck check with a moonlight wizz. :blush:

Last post reminded me of a joke....

2 marines standing at the rail peeing over the side. One said to the other "it's cold tonight" . The other replied "yes, it's deep too".

Not to be outdone by the same 2 marines....

"it's nice out tonight" Yes I think I'll leave it out"

Peeing & pooping overboard overboard might be legal, but what about the paper products (TP) that go with it?

Has anyone here tried eating the TP with their meal?
Seems like it would solve a lot of problems?
Just sayin'.

Biggest laugh I've ever gotten from this Forum. I see what you did there...nice job.

Back
Top Bottom