electronics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hitch

Veteran Member
I am down in the keys and the trawler I bought doesn't have any electronics on it. I was wondering what handheld gps I should buy and should I put in a depth finder on both helms? Thanks

I am down in the keys and the trawler I bought doesn't have any electronics on it. I was wondering what handheld gps I should buy and should I put in a depth finder on both helms? Thanks
I would go with two Garmin 441s' networked. The one at the lower helm connected to a transducer, and since there networked it will relay the depth to the upper one too. We did that on our Camano, and are about to do it with larger units on our Nordy.

The question doesn't make enough sense.

If you want a handheld GPS, you really should be thinking about an iPhone or an iPad Mini. If you want depth (and there's no way you should move off the dock without a depth sounder) then you should be looking into a complete system for instrumentation and navigation and figure out the whole setup you'll eventually acquire. That will lead you to the easier decision about what to get right now.

No matter what way you go, you should have an iPhone or iPad though (IMO).

The newest Garmin (76?) is a GPS with the US buoy system built in as well as the US roads.

A paper chart is still needed if you are going off the waterway to anchor..

The best depth sounder in South Fl is a hefty pole with depth markings painted on.

An electric readout is fine as you run aground to tell you to slow down , but useless at helping you figure out which way to attempt to kedge off , and can not be used in the dink to find the deep water.

A depth recording depth sounder IS useful for contour Nav .

I agree with what has been said about not venturing forth until you have at least depth at the lower (main) helm, and some form of GPS, and while N4712's advice would be absolutely ideal, it would be rather expensive.

To get you going, especially if money is an issue, (like it always is with moi), I suggest what I have resorted to when the sonar in my GPS/sonar died, and that is set yourself up with one of the cheaper simple sonars by Lowrance or Garmin. Choose ones which have duel frequencies, so they won't clash, one for up, and one for down, and you can even mount their transducers inside the hull in Sikaflex or similar, where they can shoot through the hull, (mine work perfectly sitting in a puddle of bilge water actually), thus avoiding the need for holes and lift-out to fit. Just make sure it is not a cored hull, and avoid the keel.

Then you can get started with nav by say having Navionics or a similar app on an iPad, (std or mini, or iPhone), as suggested by Active Captain, (but it must have a GPS in it) I love the Navionics on my iPad 3 for this, which is back-up to my mounted Lowrance GPS at the lower helm, and great to take up to the flybridge helm.

Later on you might well then put in a mounted GPS/Sonar(possibly radar), combo when finances/needs, and being on the hard, allow. Just a thought - works for me...

Last edited:
I agree with what has been said about not venturing forth until you have at least depth at the lower (main) helm, and some form of GPS, and while N4712's advice would be absolutely ideal, it would be rather expensive. To get you going, especially if money is an issue, (like it always is with moi), I suggest what I have resorted to when the sonar in my GPS/sonar died, and that is set yourself up with one of the cheaper simple sonars by Lowrance or Garmin. Choose ones which have duel frequencies, so they won't clash, one for up, and one for down, and you can even mount their transducers inside the hull in Sikaflex or similar, where they can shoot through the hull, (mine work perfectly sitting in a puddle of bilge water actually), thus avoiding the need for holes and lift-out to fit. Just make sure it is not a cored hull, and avoid the keel. Then you can get started with nav by say having Navionics or a similar app on an iPad, (std or mini, or iPhone), as suggested by Active Captain, (but it must have a GPS in it) I love the Navionics on my iPad 3 for this, which is back-up to my mounted Lowrance GPS at the lower helm, and great to take up to the flybridge helm. Later on you might well then put in a mounted GPS/Sonar(possibly radar), combo when finances/needs, and being on the hard, allow. Just a thought - works for me...
Yep that's another way of doing it. What I said all together would cost like $880 which is good by today's marine chartplotter prices is good, the Garmins are also bullet proof. I really think their starting to lead the marine electronics market.

I have a Garmin 441s with the dual freq. transducer on our little trawler and it works just fine for a small amount of money. You should be able to pick one up cheap. Its the smallest I would recommend.
I also have the Navionics app on my Samsung Tab2 10.1 so its acually bigger than the Garmin screen.
The main thing about the Keys and the entire west coast of Fla is that its skinny everywhere so be carefull!

Oliver said:I would go with two Garmin 441s' networked. The one at the lower helm connected to a transducer, and since there networked it will relay the depth to the upper one too.

That is the most correct and cheaper way to install a Garmin system. This recommended product is efficient and easy to operate/repair/troubleshoot

I too like the garmin set up.

Mine came with two camera in's. One for back up reverse view camera and one for the engine room.

It is all plug and play.

Nice system I have a 4208. Small screen 8" the 4210 is a 10" screen. There is also a video out that I display on a monitor in the salon so other folks on board are able to see the chart and depth sounder.

SD

I have an i phone and it looks like Active Captains software free hooked up to i phone or laptop, internet not required may be the best choice, thanxall

https://activecaptain.com/index.php

Actually, our app is really a companion to a chartplotter. It does it's job when something else is showing nautical charts. For the iPhone/iPad, you can't beat Garmin's app for $25 for the US/Bahamas. Skipper and Navimatics are also quite excellent. When all the electronics in my trawler went out (offshore at 10 pm in the dark) I used Navimatics in my iPad to navigate by so I have no complaints about them.

I think the Navionics app is good too especially if you have Raymarine although I don't like the extra costs for using it on an iPhone and an iPad along with the list of add-on extras they throw at you. Navionics Bahamas data isn't nearly as good as Explorer which is what Garmin and C-Map/Jeppesen use.

I have an i phone and it looks like Active Captains software free hooked up to i phone or laptop, internet not required may be the best choice, thanxall

https://activecaptain.com/index.php

Ideally you're paying attention to Jeff's (Active Captain) comment. Good stuff, but it's more like a guide book, NOT a chartplotter or plotting app.

-Chris

I got it 2 441s garmin HOPEFULLY i can figure out howto set the transducer to shoot throught he thick hull of my 78 marine trader

Shouldn't be a problem.

The transducers are made by Airmar.

As long as you can get it level.

I bought a small cheap level guage at the Home store.
You glue the base in place, (be sure it is level), fill it with Glycol (the Pink stuff).

Good to go

SD

A nice electronics suite is great...but the cheapest way to do the ICW is...

if you have a laptop...not sure why you would buy anything more than a $40 USB GPS, get free OpenCPN chartplotting software and free NOAA charts and a cheapo fishfinder and silicone the transducer to the hull in the bilge for $80????

Garmin® echo™ 100 Fishfinder | Bass Pro Shops

total package that will do just fine...around $120....

even if you have to buy a used laptop for $100...you are still under $250 with a chartplotter system that I prefer to ANY dedicated chartplotter except if it needs to be used outdoors.

Last edited:
I just popped for a garmin 521 maybe I can use your system in the lower helm

We have a Raymarine on the flybridge. The Android Raymarine app is free and displays everything on the main unit and also allows all the control functions of the main screen except turning the AP on or off. Plus it turns our C125 into a touch screen that can be used anywhere on the boat.

Bob

Garmin is working on forward scanning sonar,it won't be out till they get it right. The new black units will be out in the spring and they are better than the old gray units. They will be user friendly as the old units but a lot clearer and with more features. There will be extra plugs on the back for forward scanning sonar when it comes out. Just remember each company uses it's own language to talk to sensors. I have a Garmin on the lower helm on a Ram mount then when I go up stairs I plug it in and secure it to a Ram base ball. Adjustment is easy put where you want it. To do this Garmin has a 20ft extension cable which you plug in to the cabe from your transducer from the lower helm. Airmar does not have a tee for this. Works for me no cutting fiberglass just 3 screws and a 1/2 hole for wire.

Last edited:
Garmin is working on forward scanning sonar,it won't be out till they get it right. /QUOTE]

What indication is there that Garmin is actually ever going to deliver a forward sonar? They bought Interphase almost 2 years ago and the silence has been deafening ever since. It smells of an acquisition gone bad, but who knows.

Back
Top Bottom