Bahamas increasing cruise permit fees (again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonstruck

Guru
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Bahamas boat entry fees to increase EFFECTIVE JULY 1. Fee for pleasure vessels 35-feet and under entering The Bahamas--$250 (was $150 for 30-ft or less). Fee for vessels exceeding 35-feet--$400 (was $300 for more than 30-ft.) All fees include three passengers. Additional passengers above the age of six, subject to a tax of $20 (no change).

Bahamas boat entry fees to increase EFFECTIVE JULY 1. Fee for pleasure vessels 35-feet and under entering The Bahamas--$250 (was $150 for 30-ft or less). Fee for vessels exceeding 35-feet--$400 (was $300 for more than 30-ft.) All fees include three passengers. Additional passengers above the age of six, subject to a tax of $20 (no change).

These guys are getting greedy. The Turks and Caicos are following their lead: Up to 7 day visit: (including stopping for fuel) Inward clearance: US$50, Outward clearance: US$50.

At weekends this increases to US$65 each way.

Cruising Permit (90 days): US$300

The only vote a cruiser has in this is with his pocket book. As of last night this is my thinking. I have a grandson starting Flagler College in St Augustine in the fall. I am sure that he would like grand parents looking after him there. NOT! Thinking about moving the boat there or Jacksonville so the family can have some time when down. Then of course cruising the beautiful and interesting St. Johns River. Then move the boat back to Hilton Head or Charleston (Moonstruck's hailing port} for a season. Then the Chesapeake Bay the next season. Winter over at Hampton VA. Then cruise Maine for a summer. Then do the whole thing in reverse. Then winter in the Keys or SW Florida. That should take care of a few years.

I love the Bahamas. Beautiful water and friendly people. However, enough is enough. I think I will give them a rest.

Any updates on this ?

It looks like the marina and other business owners have put a stop to the increase, or at least delayed it. If you find anything different please let me know.

It looks like the marina and other business owners have put a stop to the increase, or at least delayed it. If you find anything different please let me know.

We were over in the Abaco, Bahamas Aug 8-17th. We cleared at Walkers and the fee was still $300. From what I was told the tourism in the Abacos has been very slow. You would think that if they had any sense they would lower the fees to attract more boaters. I'm planning to spend most of the summer cruising the Bahamas and going to the Turks & Caicos. Please keep me posted regarding these fees. Thanks
Tailwinds,
Michael

We were over in the Abaco, Bahamas Aug 8-17th. We cleared at Walkers and the fee was still $300. From what I was told the tourism in the Abacos has been very slow. You would think that if they had any sense they would lower the fees to attract more boaters. I'm planning to spend most of the summer cruising the Bahamas and going to the Turks & Caicos. Please keep me posted regarding these fees. Thanks Tailwinds, Michael

I've entered 5 times on three different boats over 30' since this rumor was started and always paid the usual price of $300. Last trip was in October and I'll be going again at the end of the week so we'll see.

Via iPad using Trawler

Still $300.

Checked in a few days ago.

We were over in the Abaco, Bahamas Aug 8-17th. We cleared at Walkers and the fee was still $300. From what I was told the tourism in the Abacos has been very slow. You would think that if they had any sense they would lower the fees to attract more boaters. I'm planning to spend most of the summer cruising the Bahamas and going to the Turks & Caicos. Please keep me posted regarding these fees. Thanks
Tailwinds,
Michael

Hey Michael,

How was the entrance channel in and out of Walker's? In the past we have always cleared at West End, GB, but in June we ran straight to Grand and cleared there. They grumbled about it and charged me an overtime fee. I had heard the Walker's channel was no longer correctly marked and difficult to follow so I didn't risk it.

I draw 3'8".

TIA
Doug

We arrived at Walkers at around 1600 and tried getting a hold of customs on VHF, but got no reply. Another boat called us & said they were gone for the day. We decided to run up to Walkers entrance anyway to check out the channel depth and I would say it was maybe 5' max. We draw 4'6". We ended up staying on the hook off of Grand Cay that evening. The next morning we ran over to Walkers in our 12' Apex Rib to clear customs. When we cleared they told us they were there and saw us the day before, but apparently they didn't reply to our calls. They didn't give us any problems, clearing but they weren't thrilled that we came by dingy. So the short answer would be, if you draw any more than 4'6", you probably shouldn't go in.
Tailwinds

We arrived at Walkers at around 1600 and tried getting a hold of customs on VHF, but got no reply. Another boat called us & said they were gone for the day. We decided to run up to Walkers entrance anyway to check out the channel depth and I would say it was maybe 5' max. We draw 4'6". We ended up staying on the hook off of Grand Cay that evening. The next morning we ran over to Walkers in our 12' Apex Rib to clear customs. When we cleared they told us they were there and saw us the day before, but apparently they didn't reply to our calls. They didn't give us any problems, clearing but they weren't thrilled that we came by dingy. So the short answer would be, if you draw any more than 4'6", you probably shouldn't go in. Tailwinds
Lots of wrecks on the way in? My uncle used to tell me, he would go through the flats, shooting (spear) huge grouper and snapper.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom