Heading down the ICW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am enjoying this thread. We live in Morehead City area (Indian Beach), planning to leave for a trip to Marathon about mid January, and hopefully stay a few months. If no one has told you, there are some great restaurants in Morehead City and Beaufort.

ARGUS on Cruisersnet

Hi All,
The new maps with ARGUS soundings on Cruisersnet is very informative.

Cruiser's Net » Archive » Praise for ARGUS and Its Use

The actual depths at low tide can be found for the trouble spot on the AICW.

You can now see which side of the channel to go to for safety. Always use common sense and ask for local knowledge. these trouble spots are not going away anytime soon, so use all the resources you can to stay safe.
Heading to Marathon in January is our plan.
HTH,

Never did I have or think I would ever see an Albemarle Sound crossing even start this calm...today at around 2pm.....maybe see you in Oriental Thurs/Friday....Where are you staying?
Wow, much nicer than what we had. We are staying at the Oriental Marina & Inn until Sat morning.

Dave

If you are a bloody mary fan, go over to Nauti-Wheelers and pick up the best mix ever. It's on Broad Street....great little shop with clothes, brickabrack, a nice wine shop and of course, the best bloodymary mix ever. :D

:eek: Big brother is watching!

Tom's more like the crazy uncle. :rofl:

Marty%2BFeldman%2BYoung%2BFrankenstein.PNG

If you are a bloody mary fan, go over to Nauti-Wheelers and pick up the best mix ever. It's on Broad Street....great little shop with clothes, brickabrack, a nice wine shop and of course, the best bloodymary mix ever. :D
I read this to my wife and all I caught was the door slamming and if you saw a blur on the webcam it was her and the dog heading off to Nauti-Wheelers for bloody mix! :D.

That camera is a bit creepy. Now that I know where to look I see it right above my computer monitor on the roof of a house by the pond!

Here's the view out the other side of the boat.

Dave

Attachments

• 20131218_092017.jpg
    20131218_092017.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 132
I think I saw that blur on the w/cam.... Keep us posted on that Bloody mary mix...

Frank

Thanks for posting. Lots of us following
Agreed.

Let's those of us confined to jobs and family responsibilities share in the joys of cruising. My boat is across the way in Pecan Grove, but as I'm prepping to sell a house, my weekends have been spent painting and cleaning. Add Christmas and family, and zero boat time has been had in 6 weeks.

Sorry if it feels like stalking. It's more like pining.

Great restaurants in Beaufort/Morehead when you get there. Beaufort Grocery, Floyds, Ruddy Duck all favorites. We cruise there all the time.

Cheapest diesel in Sneads Ferry. Pretty cheap at Jarrett Bay too. Don't fuel near Wrightsville Beach, very expensive.

He and Marjorie showed up this afternoon. Hope this is the right mix.. seal still unbroken :rolleyes:

Dave

Attachments

• 20131219_194621.jpg
    20131219_194621.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 138
That's the right one!! Shake it good! I still add a little texas pete and lime, but that's just me!!

Hope you are enjoying M&Ms, sit at the bar for the "real" Oriental. Don't miss Silo's. And of course, say hi to Donna at the Tucan Bar!

Happy Holidays!

** oh oh...the consignment store is fun, but if you need any real parts, Deaton's has a whole parts supply shop.

Last edited:
I would feel much better if Christmas were on the boat this year!

left Oriental and heavy fog this morning so we are a little behind schedule. Currently cruising down Bogue Sound. A pod of dolphins came up and checked us out.

Dave

Attachments

• 20131221_125021.jpg
    20131221_125021.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 146
We were at Casper's Marina in Swansboro when I think you went by around 1400-1415.....

Hey fellas what's the destination tonight?

We were at Casper's Marina in Swansboro when I think you went by around 1400-1415.....
We saw you tied up as we went by. Take big care at 60-61A-61. It looks like a slalom course and it is.

We are anchored at Mike Hammock Bay at mm 244. Beautiful spot with the deepest water we've seen since leaving the Neuse River.

Dave

Attachments

• 20131221_162935.jpg
    20131221_162935.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 143
At the very nice Southport Marina so I can catch up on some work. Neat town but since Super Wally World showed up shopping for provisions is hard as the local stores can't compete and closed or moved close to WW. This year we celebrate Christmas in Southport and head back down the ICW Friday. Some nice boats here. Photos soon as the marina is closed for the next two days so we can nose around.

Dave

Hot on your tracks Friday...will be in Wilmington till then...from there a day off between faniliy and friends...haven't decided where yet, maybe Southport...then Myrtle Beach to visit a fellow liveaboard couple for a few days.

Hot on your tracks Friday...will be in Wilmington till then...from there a day off between faniliy and friends...haven't decided where yet, maybe Southport...then Myrtle Beach to visit a fellow liveaboard couple for a few days.
Ever gonna make it down our way? :ermm::confused::D

We saw you tied up as we went by. Take big care at 60-61A-61. It looks like a slalom course and it is.

We are anchored at Mike Hammock Bay at mm 244. Beautiful spot with the deepest water we've seen since leaving the Neuse River.

Dave
What kind of ground tackle are you outfitted with?

Ever gonna make it down our way? :ermm::confused::D

Ft Pierce this year...have friends with boats/condo there...

Trying to be in Canaveral for the Jan 23 Atlas launch.

Have to be back in Jersey Apr 15th for the towing job...so it kinda limits total time and how much driving vs enjoying I want to do. Was stationed in Miami 2 tours and back regularly up till the late 90's...that's the one part of Florida I can skip and not feel bad about it.

When I fully retire. the Keys and mid to northern Bahamas are in my sights until I can go to Cuba.

It would be great if bridges all had unlimited clearance.

232323232%7Ffp54352%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D393%3A389%3A%3C%3B336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54378%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3959356876336nu0mrj

We have a Bruce and a CQR. We usually use the CQR as it holds nicely in muddy bottoms. Each has 200 feet of chain. Dave
Oh, okay. How far South do you plan on coming?

This year as far as Stuart where we will leave the boat in April. We're going to work our way down starting with a week or two in St Augustine. Friends live by Ft Pierce so I think we're planning on a month there.

Dave

Attachments

• 20131224_143037.jpg
    20131224_143037.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Walking around a marina that's closed for Christmas really lets you poke around. Here's a shot of an N55 for the Nordie folks. Believe it or not it is only an N55.

Dave

Attachments

• 20131225_131242.jpg
    20131225_131242.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 20131225_131755.jpg
    20131225_131755.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 143

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom