Fast Dissolving TP or Not??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just for S&G’s, I will perform glass o' water Marine TP test right next to regular household, and cheep household TP tests with stop watch in hand and “In My Log” I will records results – dated and signed!
All and all it does seem rather unusual that on this glorious occasion of holiday season one of the main topics (50 + posts) running through our minds is which A-Wipe is best to use aboard our beloved boats! :rofl:

Art, you have a point, but believe me…there is absolutely nothing half so destroying of a happy Xmas cruise, than a clog in the whatsit, especially if one has guests aboard. So I put it to you it is indeed a worthy topic for examination at this time.
Merry Xmas and a clog free New Year to all..!

Seems wise to have some good-sized buckets (with lids!) in case the toilet(s) fail(s).

Attachments

• image-1445139261.jpg
    image-1445139261.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 366
Seems wise to have some good-sized buckets (with lids!) in case the toilet(s) fail(s).
__________________Reminds me of when i was a kid,the dunny man collected the buckets (cans) with lids and if you didn't tip him a few bottles of xxxx at xmas he spilt some on the step.
Gordon.

Uh. Where do we poop here?

232323232%7Ffp537%3C4%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B29%3B35%3A%3A336nu0mrj

Art, you have a point, but believe me…there is absolutely nothing half so destroying of a happy Xmas cruise, than a clog in the whatsit, especially if one has guests aboard. So I put it to you it is indeed a worthy topic for examination at this time.
Merry Xmas and a clog free New Year to all..!

Touché! :thumb:

Last edited:
There's a right and wrong direction w that one ... No?

I wanted to stop in and drop off a couple of points

#1....

#2....

That's about it.

P.S. If anyone would like to buy some super duper certified and tested marine/RV toilet paper cheap (like half what you are paying now) pop me a message. I will make ya a hell of a deal, shipping and handling are of course extra.

:thumb:

From my head owners manual (Raritan Marine Elegance).
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

• No special toilet paper is required.
• Water should appear in the bowl within ten
seconds. If not, see troubleshooting section.
• Hard objects or stringy substances (paper towels,
feminine hygiene products, filter cigarettes, etc.)
must not be thrown into the toilet as they will cause
damage.
• Always shut off seacock(s) before leaving the boat
unattended.

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/Marine Elegance/L460v0610 Marine Elegance Manual.pdf

Last edited:
What a great thread, I am enjoying reading this daily. I never thought it would have taken off like this but you know my son (four years old) has read a book when he started potty training,
"Everyone poops." So it stands to reason we're all knowledgeable about the subject.

Everyone Poops | Potty Training Concepts

Good info - I will be purchasing several brands and comparing. So far I have three and will add another cheaper brand and will post the results.

...waste basket and plastic zip-lock bags. Give me a break!
I'm a long-time sailboater, but I have to agree. Use the right sort of toilet paper, flush well, and there is absolutely no problem at all. I can't imagine saving my used toilet paper in a little baggie, just to avoid the need to buy the right sort of really cheap toilet paper.

This box contained the poop from 12 people deposited over four days. It's a two-man job to move.

img_199194_0_dfed4b99878fa6f7a13302ebfd0ccd9d.jpg

So who uses TP anymore? Thought real men used grass and leaves. Look forward to the next profound discussion on this site. Lordy Mercy!

So who uses TP anymore? Thought real men used grass and leaves. Look forward to the next profound discussion on this site. Lordy Mercy!
I know, six pages all about toilet paper? That must be a record! :p :D

Only in Alaska. . . . . For some it sounds like a bidet will become a standard fixture on boats if they ever stop making cheap TP !! :flowers:

Only in Alaska. . . . . For some it sounds like a bidet will become a standard fixture on boats if they ever stop making cheap TP !! :flowers:

Hmmm, a bidet eh…? Salt water powered it would have to be. This could open up a whooool new subject...:angel:

Experiment

Last night I decided to conduct my own experiment and see what a few different brands would do in a short period of time. I started at 6pm with one cup of water in each container and one single square of each brand. After 12 hours and two shakes (about six inches from the counter) these are the results.

5875-albums195-picture934.jpg

5875-albums195-picture933.jpg

5875-albums195-picture932.jpg

5875-albums195-picture931.jpg

Last night I decided to conduct my own experiment and see what a few different brands would do in a short period of time. I started at 6pm with one cup of water in each container and one single square of each brand. After 12 hours and two shakes (about six inches from the counter) these are the results.

What a great test!!!

Looks to me like charmin is the best at dissolving

So far that's what I would conclude as far as breaking down. I will shake one more time before I leave tonight and post final results. My quess, it comes down to several things,
Using enough water to assist the travel to the holding tank.
Not using more than needed.
Using too much of a good thing can be bad in just about any circumstances.

Good test, bshillam. I think the original thread that mentioned this test a couple of years ago had the wait period of something like a minute before shaking lightly as you did. This simulates the length of time the paper might sit in the bowl before meeting the macerator.

So nearly 24 hours I shook the containers again twice about six inches from the counter top. I was really surprised to see the two marine tps still had some large pieces holding together, where the normal 2 ply Charmin and Generic was in small little pieces. I have posted the final pictures of my experiment. I would say that the evidence for me is to use what is comfortable but in moderation and make sure to use plenty of water. However I did not let it sit for a minute and then shake to see what the results were. So I will conduct one final test. After all most jam ups will happen a few minutes after use.

I had lunch in a Mexican restaurant in Houma La. today I had to laugh, remembering this thread, when I read the sign on the wall in English and Spanish
"Please do not flush toilet paper or paper towels down the toilet" next to the toilet was a large metal container with a self closing lid.
Shall I ask them to join the thread and opine??
I have eaten in plenty of Mexican restaurants here and in Mexico this was the worst! Because of the food, not their bathroom.

Funny...Practical Sailor or someone did a test years ago...or it could have been when I was an RVer and in some article in my readings there that Charmin was the worst at dissolving...

Maybe just time or the economy changed the paper....goes to show how you have to keep up with the times and don't listen to old info....

No Toilet Paper Needed

I just read threw this subject thread, ....and had a few good laughs.

But the reason I read always thru it was to see if anyone was going to suggest that toilet paper wasn't really needed.....:eek: What you say :eek:

Has no one on this forum ever been to Vietnam, or Thailand, or Indonesia ?? In many of locals in these countries there is no toilet paper. In most cases you use water and your hand to wash yourself out. Or very often there is a small hose available next to the 'toilet' to wash yourself out. You then wash your hands thoroughly afterwards, which of course you want to do either case.

I've actually come to the conclusion that it is a MUCH cleaner method of cleaning your backsides. You don't end up with those little clumps of soft paper that often end up stuck there. You always feel as thought you are freshly washed because you are.

So I've got my flak jacket one for this one

BTW here is a primer on using a squat toilet, ..if you are ever in SE Asia, or Africa
How to Use a Squat Toilet Like a Pro

Last edited:
I spent lots of time on agricultural projects in Sudan and Somalia, out in the country there is usually a water bottle next to a "squatter" don't drink the water! it is to wash your hand after you wipe your self with it, LEFT HAND ONLY please!

Note to self: Be sure and strike "tour Africa and SE Asia" from the bucket list!!
:angel:

May as well scratch Greece, Turkey, and the entire Middle East. They still have some that are just a piece of porcelain level with the floor with a 4" hole. I never learned to hit that hole. Fast dissolving TP is the least of your problems there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom