Fuel lift pump heads up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are all "gas" pumps.

Facet® Cube Fuel Pumps | Facet Purolator

Fuel Compatibility: All models of the Facet Cube Fuel Pumps are compatible with gasoline, diesel, biodiesel, blended alcohol fuels and fuel additives.

Facet®/Purolator® High Performance GOLD-FLO® Solid State Fuel Pump Kits | Facet Purolator

Fuel Compatibility: All models of the Facet High Performance Gold-Flo Solid State Fuel Pumps are compatible with gasoline, diesel, biodiesel, blended alcohol fuels and fuel additives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup busted:facepalm:. I didn't read about their compatibilities. When AT said he ran them on race cars and the ad said "Racers", I made an ASSumption.

I had never heard of the Facet brand, but was up on the automotive diesel "scene" just a few years back. If you have had experience with them on your gas powered rigs and want to use one (two) on your boat by all means, go for it. Personally I try to remove as many electrical components as I can from operations that are mandatory for my boat to move under control. If I HAVE to have an electrical part in my engine's operating system I try to use items with known reliability. If I had twin engines and didn't travel in inclement weather, current, high traffic, off shore, etc I might be more inclined to experiment. My boat however is a single engine vessel that I run in all the above conditions and its a pleasure boat. A big part of it being able to live up to its pleasure designation is feeling it will reliably get back to its berth under its own power. No I'm not an ostrich with my head in the sand--I know electronics are here to stay and steadily weaseling their way into more and more systems. My boat can operate satisfactorily burning less than 2 GPH and other than fuel filters, this "unheard of" lift pump throwing a check valve is the only time it has caused a delay in an outing. I don't care to increase my engine's efficiency what is in my opinion a miniscule amount at the expense of my comfort with its reliability.
If you want to use one of the pumps you linked, find your engine's fuel flow requirements (not its GPH burn) and order a pump that will match or exceed that number. Engine's with a diesel return fuel system need more fuel than they burn.

Last edited:
twiisted71;199273 fuel filters said:
Not all that "unheard of". I had a diaphram lift pump fail on my Dodge/Cummins and it was only about 1 1/2 years old. I discected it and found that the checkvalves had failed. They were rubber and the fuel ate them away until they were no longer large enough to cover the fuel ports. It was a Carter pump. I know of a few others that had a similar issue (they did not the forensics).
So it does happen.

I just replaced by electric lift pumps last week. Used Walbro FRB-13 7psi pumps as well.

JL my valves didn't fail. One of them actually came out of the bore it was pressed in. The check valves are a Stainless contraption about the size of 2 stacked nickels with the flapper captured inside.

Walbro is one of the few fuel pump mfrs. I'd consider reputable enough to give a shot on my boat if needed.

One quick feedback on the Walbros. They have a strainer built into the upper (intake) side of the pump body that is removable by a single bolt on the top. I needed to orient both intakes to point towards their respective tanks, but one of the strainers gave me a heck of a time re-sealing the little o-ring.

I realized I may wanna have a spare O-ring tucked away and having the experience of changing it without any pressure of haste was something I'd recommend anyone installing them look at.

Nothing particularly difficult, but more fun at the dock. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom